Snow and the city Streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think they're still aldermen in St. Albert.
    Not according to the city's website.

https://stalbert.ca/cosa/leadership/council/profiles/

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

• Wow so city administration HID an internal memo stating the damage of the calcium chloride. Heads are going to roll!

Comment

• Originally posted by happydays View Post
        Wow so city administration HID an internal memo stating the damage of the calcium chloride. Heads are going to roll!
        I posted how damaging this was, anyone could look it up, we just happen to work with concrete.. Watch how many lamp posts have to be replaced where they pulled this [email protected] around them!
        LOL..good old Edmonton
        Animals are my passion.

Comment

• I will always find sand disgusting. Makes our city look filthy during the winter. After driving today it is obvious the city has cut was back on the de-icer and is back to using tons of sand.

Comment

• Funny how so many other major cities seem to use salt, are the all wrong?

Comment

• The problem with using salt in Edmonton is we have very little rain in the year compared to other cities to delute and wash the salt away. Compounding the problem is the heavy clay soils prevent good drainage. Both combine to kill vegetation, trees and lawns.
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug View Post
                I will always find sand disgusting. Makes our city look filthy during the winter. After driving today it is obvious the city has cut was back on the de-icer and is back to using tons of sand.
                Trying to make Edmonton look attractive at street level is a lost cause. Better to focus on safety and efficiency.

Comment

• Why do we continue to go around in circles debating whether melting snow with salts or trying to make it less slippery with abrasives is the less-worse option? They both suck. The right way to deal with frozen precipitation is to scrape it off and haul it away (major roads) or pile it on the boulevards until spring (residential roads). Only use abrasives (in very cold weather) or salt (in warmer weather) when there is adhered ice that can't be plowed off.

Comment

• What do you think this is Winnipeg or something? We wanna be like Calgary. Let the chinooks melt it off, but we’re not quite there yet. ( I wish we could hire the guy that runs Winnipeg and make him our own. They even clear all the sidewalks too. People complain to the city because their sidewalk isn’t done yet. lol)
                    Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

• We do also remove the snow, titanium48...
                      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
                        ... The right way to deal with frozen precipitation is to scrape it off and haul it away (major roads) or pile it on the boulevards until spring (residential roads). Only use abrasives (in very cold weather) or salt (in warmer weather) when there is adhered ice that can't be plowed off.
                        Unless it quickly warms up, scraping snow off roadways just turns them to ice. That's why I loved the brine (though temperatures may well be at its outer limit of effectiveness this week).
                        ... gobsmacked

Comment

• This thread will never get renamed: Sand and the city streets.

The brine or whatever it would be called (that the new chemicals create) nicely smooths the ice and it sure seems like the city has cut back on sanding after snowfalls.
                          Last edited by KC; 12-02-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• No kidding. We have a car wash close by and they are dolling out sand by the teaspoon at that corner.
                            Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

• the brine isn't being deployed currently, because its too damn cold. What you are seeing is hard packing of the snow into ice/black ice. Right now you can really notice the difference between those with winter tires, and those on spring/summer/fall tires that are not meant for these conditions (even if CNR67 tries to tell you otherwise through his anecdotal experience of 100 years)
                              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• I can't understand the frustration with brine and its effects on vehicles. Most vehicles today are not well built and will require repairs at significant cost prior to rust being a serious issue (other than mufflers which get changed anyway) Cars should have proper undercoating which I think limits the problem in anycase. People should use commonsense as well and limit their vehicle use in conditions where the brine has been applied, its quite obvious where. Finally, I see lots of drivers here that don't hesitate to hit puddles at top speed thus spraying brine water that is then more likely to impact peoples vehicle undercarriage.

The brine has worked exceedingly well at appropriate temps.
                                "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Working...
                                X