Snow and the city Streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow and the city Streets

I can not believe how horrid the street cleaning is here in the city of Edmonton. I come from a city that has an army of plow's when it snow's.
    The the streets that are semi cleared are done without a bit of common sense. Can the plows not gets to the curbs? Why do two lanes all of a sudden turn into 1.5 lanes?
    City officials need to seriously take a look and the contractors that are utilizing the snow clearing budget and demand better service for the tax payers money.

Yeah, this morning a DATs van got stuck in front of my house then managed to spin his way out. So, then when I backed out out I got stuck in the ruts and after about 10 minutes of rocking my "all-wheel-drive" I barely got out. Around the corner an oncoming bus laid on his horn at me but I was trying to move over but the banked up snow was just pushing my vehicle back towards the centre line which he was riding over so we just barely squeezed past each other.

Then I took my 4 yr old to school and it was total chaos there with line ups of cars and trucks, and busses, people pushing vehicles everywhere. Parents and teachers getting stuck. People driving fast to avoid getting stuck. People stopping in the middle of the road to let old kids out, etc.

I only got stuck twice by the school and was lucky as I only needed to be pushed once. (Helped push a couple other vehicles too.)
    Last edited by KC; 10-01-2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

In all honesty I think clearing has been much improved this year as we have indeed expanded our budget and changed how we clear residential.

That said, I still find our clearing slow/poor compared with Ottawa's (where I grew up).

I do have sympathy for the plowers though, monumental challenge.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

driving in thick snow is like driving a boat in choppy waters. waves might push you side to side, but as long as you keep moving and keep the vehicle pointed straight, no problem.
        with snow tires and standard transmission, i have yet to get stuck, and the alley has snow up the bumper.

Comment

I have snow tires and a 6spd and haven't got stuck yet either nobleea(and I spent most of the weekend driving as my family is on vacation and I'm watching over 4 houses ). What about new drivers, people with automatics, ones that don't know to take traction control off if they have it on in deep snow as it will just kill their revs when they need it, people that just aren't good at driving in snow? We have to consider all them and not just ourselves, that's what this thread is about.

Comment

as of saturday morning main roadways on the northside were generally all cleared or in the process of being cleared.... I'm happy.... residential and cul-de-sacs will have to wait....

(the once I saw cleared were 97st, 82st, 66st, 137ave, 153ave, 167ave)
            i love lamp

Comment

This morning, here by me (very southside, right outside of the city limits), the roads still were not plowed and were a nightmare going into the city and school parking lots were a disaster. Parents stuck all over the place. I don't understand why school parking lots weren't plowed over the weekend. Oh and AWD is NOT the same as 4X4! lolol

Comment

My issue is more with the 'streets' in the core which serve as parking for hundreds of residents/visitors/workers in the downtown. I recognize the priority of removal, but i would guestimate that about 1/2 of all downtown meters are close to non-accessible right now.

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
                  driving in thick snow is like driving a boat in choppy waters. waves might push you side to side, but as long as you keep moving and keep the vehicle pointed straight, no problem.
                  with snow tires and standard transmission, i have yet to get stuck, and the alley has snow up the bumper.
                  That's a lot easier said than done, especially if you have a commute.

This morning I found that most major roads I travelled on had been plowed although some lanes or pieces of lanes were definitely lost. It's very difficult to get all drivers thinking on the same wavelength when the conditions require us to "improvise" on the road, and it's a bit dangerous. On the other hand, the residential roads where I live are abysmal. Very difficult to get in and out.

Comment

Edmonton does not get enough snow regularly to warrant the cost of maintaining it's own fleet. Those places that do, like Montréal, where I lived for four years, get an order of magnitude more snow than we do. We get a snowfall like this maybe twice a year. Things will suck for a couple of days while the city gets caught up.

Not to say that there aren't issues with priorities and efficiency in plowing, just that comparing Edmonton to eastern cities with substantially more snowfall doesn't make much sense.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyGirl View Post
                      This morning, here by me (very southside, right outside of the city limits), the roads still were not plowed and were a nightmare going into the city and school parking lots were a disaster. Parents stuck all over the place. I don't understand why school parking lots weren't plowed over the weekend. Oh and AWD is NOT the same as 4X4! lolol
                      Yeah I've got both (two Honda's) - very little trouble driving the 4x4 this weekend. (Didn't get stuck once.) The AWD though seems near useless - especially with it's all-season tires.

I sure agree about upping the priority around schools!!! The snow creates a number of safety issues.

Comment

From a similar thread, http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=15367

Jan 09, 2011

After the recent significant snowfall, should a snow route ban be called?

This bylaw was debated and approved with good reason by previous City Councils and all the signage was put up on bus routes and major arterials and collector route to remove parked vehicles after significant snowfalls.

Removing the cars benefits all Edmontonians:
                        1. easier plowing and removal
                        2. streets get cleared faster
                        3. this snow fall and previous packed snow can be plowed
                        4. derelict cars can be towed
                        You can help by calling 311 or email your Councilors [email protected] to ask them to initiate a snow route ban.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...uncillors.aspx
                        http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...ow-routes.aspx
                        http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...now_route1.pdf
                        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

My buddy who has an A3 with quattro showed me why they won so many rallys and touring car championships last night.... weeeeeeeeee

Comment

No problem with my car, FWD with snow & ice radials. Got through even the deepest snow and mush that scraped the undercarriage. Unplowed parking lots where even SUV's were stuck, I did not even spin my tires.

I will never again use four season tires.
                            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                              Originally posted by GypsyGirl View Post
                              Yeah I've got both (two Honda's) - very little trouble driving the 4x4 this weekend. (Didn't get stuck once.) The AWD though seems near useless - especially with it's all-season tires.

I sure agree about upping the priority around schools!!! The snow creates a number of safety issues.
                              Yeah my AWD SUV is useless. Completely useless. I love how the car salesman who sold me it told me that AWD and 4X4 are the same thing. And i've since learned otherwise that it's not. I got stuck on Saturday, hit the ditch, almost buried my car in the snow, and then again yesterday. It's brutal out there on these country roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X