Annoying Driving habits in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Driving habits in Edmonton

Has anyone noticed any bad driving habits in Edmonton? I've lived in Edmonton for about 5 years now and have been noticing some annoying driving habits. Two common bad driving habits:

1) Lack of Signaling
    When i first started learning to drive, one of the first things that i learned was to signal for a lane change. I see other drivers that don't signal EVERYTIME I drive. It seems either 75% of people in Edmonton never learned how to signal or they seem to have a defective signal lights. I just don't understand why people don't use it? Is it hard to turn on/off a signal light?
    The signal lights are there to signal to other drivers about what you are about to do. Many times, i see drivers cut into other lanes without signaling and causing accidents or "close-call" incidents followed by raging car honks. Short signaling is just as bad. If people are going to signal for 1 second, they may as well not signal at all. Signaling requires time for others to react to what a driver is about to do.
    I always get a good laugh when i see people who don't signal for a lane change (and cut in front of other cars without warning) but they'll signal in a lane where they have to turn. This is a big brain twister to me. Why would someone not use a signal to change lanes while putting others safety at risk but use it on a turn-only lane? Who are they really signaling to in a turn only lane? i mean other drivers would assume they are turning even if they didn't signal on a turn-only lane but they cant assume that on a lane change...

2) Slowing down before signaling
    Some drivers don't have any problems signaling, they just have an annoying habit of putting a very late signal. This drives me nuts when drivers suddenly slow down in front of me with little warning and signal after they've come slowed down to turn. Is it really that hard to figure out that reversing other of this procedure can cause alot less stress to other drivers and prevent less collisions as well. Solution is simple, turn on the signal light first. This gives others a fair warning about what you are about to do so i can slow down or w/e in order to prevent and rear-ending accidents.

I, personally, will always try to avoid these bad habits in order to attempt to persuade others by my actions on the road. This little rant is not to point fingers at anyone specifically, this is something i want drivers to take notice of on the road to increase driving awareness. With little effort on these very simple tasks, i feel that we can make the roads of Edmonton much safer.

I hope others will post other annoying driving habits in this forum in order to promote driving awareness. Thanks

*** yawn ***

I'm sure we've already got like a dozen topics on this in just the Rant section alone.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 25-06-2010, 08:53 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^ find the topic, and post it, and I'm sure a crafty mod will merge the topics.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

annoying bad driving habits in Edmonton is really nothing new and it has been like this for several years now.
        Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Annoying habit: Inability to merge. Both in traffic and in forums. Case in point: this thread.
          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
            *** yawn ***

I'm sure we've already got like a dozen topics on this in just the Rant section alone.
            way to dismiss someone for their valid concerns. if you can't be bothered why respond?

Anyway, my most annoying one is when I'm walking. The little walking dude is green and someone turning right coasts right in front of me when I step on the curb. That's when they get a boot to their vehicle, or whatever heavy object I might be carrying

Comment

Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
              Anyway, my most annoying one is when I'm walking. The little walking dude is green and someone turning right coasts right in front of me when I step on the curb. That's when they get a boot to their vehicle, or whatever heavy object I might be carrying

Yeah, no kidding.

Top_Dawg has now adopted defensive walking techniques.

A couple of months ago Top_Dawg was on a 100 ave & 116 street right under the Lemarchand.

The light turned green and he almost completed crossing north.

A young poodle driving a SUV west along 100 ave was signalling a right hand turn onto 116 street.

Top_Dawg was directly in front of her and she hardly even slowed down.

Just continued as if he wasn't even there.

Top_Dawg had to run and jump up on the curb.

And then he realized that she was driving into the sun.

Still, they should pay more attention - she was completely oblivious to him walking on the road.

Almost killed poor Top_Dawg.

Comment

Personally I dislike how aggressive drivers are in general in Alberta. It's like it's a race out there and points are awarded for position. If you, god forbid, let someone in in front of you you'll lose valuable points! Even if you change lanes and there's a solid 4-5 car lengths between you and the car behind you in the lane you changed in to, many drivers here take that as a personal offense. How dare that person intrude upon MY lane!

I drive fairly quickly, however I have no problem letting someone in when they signal and make a decent lane change. But as others have mentioned, it can be very frustrating when you do that and the other person instead of taking the opening, slows down further or just doesn't take it. But I suppose given that most drivers would rather cut them off than let them in, they have reason to be cautious.

Interestingly, the only two actual vehicular accidents that Ewan McGregor was involved with on the Long Way Round were in Calgary, and he was quite outspoken at the time that drivers in our fair province were far and away the worst he had encountered in terms of aggressiveness and courtesy.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                  Personally I dislike how aggressive drivers are in general in Alberta. It's like it's a race out there and points are awarded for position. If you, god forbid, let someone in in front of you you'll lose valuable points! Even if you change lanes and there's a solid 4-5 car lengths between you and the car behind you in the lane you changed in to, many drivers here take that as a personal offense. How dare that person intrude upon MY lane!

I drive fairly quickly, however I have no problem letting someone in when they signal and make a decent lane change. But as others have mentioned, it can be very frustrating when you do that and the other person instead of taking the opening, slows down further or just doesn't take it. But I suppose given that most drivers would rather cut them off than let them in, they have reason to be cautious.

Interestingly, the only two actual vehicular accidents that Ewan McGregor was involved with on the Long Way Round were in Calgary, and he was quite outspoken at the time that drivers in our fair province were far and away the worst he had encountered in terms of aggressiveness and courtesy.
                  Haha, Marcel, as an avid motorcyclist and currently living in Alberta, I've seen that show and remember that quote. I know not a knock on every driver in the province but funny just the same considering where they rode in the world.
                  He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Comment

Pedestrians are losers too. I *never* see people even look before crossing the street. With heads hung low, staring at the ground, they just go. I swear they think "if I can't see it, it can't hurt me."

At any proper crossing I'll always stop for a pedestrian, but a little eye contact, and perhaps a smile and a wave to thank drivers for not running them down would go a long way to build some mutual respect in society.
                    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                      Pedestrians are losers too. I *never* see people even look before crossing the street. With heads hung low, staring at the ground, they just go. I swear they think "if I can't see it, it can't hurt me."

At any proper crossing I'll always stop for a pedestrian, but a little eye contact, and perhaps a smile and a wave to thank drivers for not running them down would go a long way to build some mutual respect in society.
                      ^ so true... these people would be eaten alive in any other major city...Paris, NY, Mexico, Rome...they'd just be plowed mercilessly...they owe their lives to living in Canada..

My personal driving pet peeve is when you're driving on the passing lane, someone from the right lane just moves to your lane to supossedly pass the vehicle ahead of him, only to slow down at the same speed of the car he intended to pass, thus slowing down the entire left lane...i see these maroons every day...i wish they'd be hit by lighting or mauled by a pitbull..i hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by CigarHippo View Post
                        ...i wish they'd be hit by lighting or mauled by a pitbull..i hate them.

That's a classic CH !

Comment

ITT: people who think bad driving is somehow localized to Edmonton. no way could there be just as many bad drivers in other cities and you only choose to notice Edmonton drivers cause a) you dont get out much, b) different driving styles automatically = bad or c) your just trolling.
                          be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

My pet peeve: Drivers who blindly pull out of a side street and right in front of you, then have the discourtesy to amble along in front of you. Meanwhile, you check your mirror and see nothing behind you for a couple of blocks. Can't these imbeciles wait until you drive by, then pull out safely.
                            Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Not so much a bad driving habit... more a bad parking habit. When you think about it it's such an easy concept to grasp. PARK BETWEEN THE LINES STUPID I watched a member of the welding truck society takes 2 spots the other day. Meanwhile 3 spots away from him was another double spot parker. What the ????????
                              Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Working...
                              X