Jasper Avenue embarrassment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jasper Avenue embarrassment

It used to be Knoxvilles,then it was something else and then after that gawd only knows. All I know is that I just drove past it and it looks like a bombed out building in Afganistan. Is there something that the city or ANYONE can do to remove this eyesore on the Main Street of the capital city ?

It's slated to come down in the near future for a development.

https://www.connect2edmonton.ca/foru...eet-two-towers
    Last edited by noodle; 03-02-2020, 12:43 PM.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Can't come soon enough. Thanks for info

Comment

Originally posted by 99Miata View Post
        Can't come soon enough. Thanks for info
        Amen to that. You know Knoxsvilles was actually not that bad looking, for converting an long time empty old department store into a bar. The crowd was another story.

Whoever took it over could have basically left it as is, but someone actually spent time and money to make it into something completely hideous. It seldom seemed open and no one went there as far as I can tell. I don't get it.

Comment

What don't you get? There are correlations to good economics/living lavishly vs slowed economic/frugality. Just so you know, our unemployment rate is over 8%., and this number has not been seen since around 1997 to my recollection. Has anyone else noticed places like " Fox and Hound' and other establishments all seem relatively sedated compared to the post boom times?

i'm more concerned and focused on the project that will be developed in its place is not cancelled or put on hold.. I'm hoping for 1 tower (the one adjacent to Jasper) to be built out/up.
          " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

Originally posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
            What don't you get? There are correlations to good economics/living lavishly vs slowed economic/frugality. Just so you know, our unemployment rate is over 8%., and this number has not been seen since around 1997 to my recollection. Has anyone else noticed places like " Fox and Hound' and other establishments all seem relatively sedated compared to the post boom times?

i'm more concerned and focused on the project that will be developed in its place is not cancelled or put on hold.. I'm hoping for 1 tower (the one adjacent to Jasper) to be built out/up.
            As I said, what I don't get is spending money to make something so hideous.

Yes, the economy is tough, I didn't say it wasn't. However making stupid business choices does not help, that is what I don't get. About a block away is a very nicely done up bar that was and is still often busy.

Hopefully the eye sore will be gone soon.

Comment

Can someone just clarify for me...

Was this Knoxville's place located in the spot that used to house the department store possibly known as MacLeod's?

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post
                Can someone just clarify for me...

Was this Knoxville's place located in the spot that used to house the department store possibly known as MacLeod's?
                I know it used to be a Saveco (sp?)
                I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

^ Definitely ringing a bell. I wonder it was a MacLeod's before it was a SaveCo. I'm thinking the late 80s some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

As I said, what I don't get is spending money to make something so hideous.

Yes, the economy is tough, I didn't say it wasn't. However making stupid business choices does not help, that is what I don't get. About a block away is a very nicely done up bar that was and is still often busy.

Hopefully the eye sore will be gone soon.

What was there before was not exactly esthetically pleasingly either, but when there were lots of $$$ flying around... Even if the current spot got a posh make over, it would still be in the current state.
                    As per the eye sore, I haven't seen the up-to-date version...

Comment

I thought McCleods was where either Manulife or Commerce is...

Comment

Working...
                      X