Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A relatively mild winter, only the one major severe cold outbreak so far at least, receiving a lot of snow though! Any of you weather buffs can possibly note any changes in the flow that might indicate a more favorable pattern for the upcoming spring and summer? Last summer totally sucked with the continuous rain and gawd awful thickly overcast grey skies! I had the worst garden in probably thirty years, while several friends had totally lost theirs and the poor farmers, what a struggle for them! I had read someplace that the Pacific Blop had exterted little affect other than for within a few hundred miles into inland BC, I don't know about that, Alaska had baked, while we were drenched!

Forum sure has dropped off ... yeah, the winter months are slower and the economy is in the tank, but activity is now pretty dead around here especially after the site was given a makeover. The default dark font is nasty hard on the eyes, maybe some are unaware they can change it to something esle, Gradient is ideal for me.

Comment

• hard to think about it being a milder winter having shoveled this morning when it was -20.

have to agree on how poor last summer was though.
      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Definitely been a very, very good ski season from mid December up till now! A couple warming events that got up high, but not too bad.

Comment

• Yes, it's currently cold, though has been "relatively" mild in general. Furnace here hasn't been overworked and nor have I bothered much with the wood burning fireplace. Though, plenty of snow and it keeps coming, GREAT for skiers and snowmobilers, though not so much fun for me with my shovel, lol.
          Last edited by TRtower; 17-02-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• FWIW, our Enmax Home Energy Report just informed us that our usage over the last billing period was 18% better than the same period last year. We're diligent in our energy use all the time and there have been no real changes to our energy habits, so the drop in usage was a nice surprise and may well be indicative of a milder winter thus far.
            Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

• Other than the one week stretch in January when the temp was similar to Uranus or Neptune, it's been a pretty decent winter, all things considered. Lots of snow, which I don't think is ever a bad thing. Now, if we can get a nice slow melt, starting beginning of March.......

Comment

• Weather upcoming looks decent also minus a few cooler days (can't even really complain about those tbh).
                I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Comment

• This is the point when winter really begins to drag on, really cold temps coming up for a few days and then moderating, though few above freezing days in the two week forecast. Been looking back on the March temps for 2015 and 2016 and the warmth we enjoyed with the strong El Nino event.
                  Last edited by TRtower; 10-03-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• The Weather Network forecasts continued below normal temps for the coming two weeks, while Calgary and much of the prairies warms up rather nicely. Accuweather predicts much below temps way into the third week of April .... crap, at this rate will likely be almost May before the 2 ft of snow in my backyard finally melts.

After the strong El Nino event of 2015 and '16, cold delayed springs have been the norm around here!

Comment

• ^Any long range forecast beyond 4 or 5 days is still largely guess work, even from the reputable sources you cite. So I guess we'll soon find out.

According to the Edmonton Weather Nerdery blog which tracks temperatures in great detail, January and February temperatures were above the long-term average, and March temperatures thus far only 1 degree Celcius below average.

In terms of early springs, 2016 was a definite outlier for the reason you cite. In 2019, after an extremely cold February, March and April temperatures were actually slightly above average.

All the gory details here: http://edmontonweathernerdery.blogsp...peratures.html

Comment

• Hope everyone enjoyed yesterday's all too very brief warm up. According to The Weather Network, we're soon to experience temperatures as much as 15 to 20 C below normal with no return to average in the extended two week forecast. Couple this with substantial snow on the ground and ain't nobody gonna be out doing yard work for a good while to come. I've got a bit of a green thumb, funny years ago, I'd most always be digging in the dirt and planting shrubs by the middle of April, of late it often remains cold and snowy, winter's sixth month.

Comment

• ^ Thus far the long range forecasts of colder than average weather seem to panning out.

As a fellow green thumb, I would love it to be warmer. On the other hand, a colder (and hopefully wetter) spring may end up being a blessing in disguise. Especially this year. I shudder to think how hard it would be to maintain physical distancing of evacuees and first responders if we were faced with large scale evacuations like Fort McMurray in 2016, or High Level last year.

Comment

• Calgary and Lethbridge temperatures were up to 10 C today. It might take a while for the cold front to recede.
                            "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Working...
                            X