Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to keep tabs on what the world weather (temperature, precipitation, wind, cloud) is likely at any given time?

Below is a link to the best world weather map I can find.

https://map.worldweatheronline.com/

What I like is that this map is updated hourly and even adjusts for local time zones. What I dislike is the Mercator projection.

Does anyone know of an even better live world weather map available for free online?

Comment

• Originally posted by ThomasH View Post
      I am surprised the river didn't flood given how much rain we had. The amount of moss growing on my lawn is crazy, it is literally pillowing up in some areas.
      There was some localized flooding, some of the low gravel paths in the river valley that follow the river's edge had to be closed for a few days in July.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by East McCauley View Post
        Want to keep tabs on what the world weather (temperature, precipitation, wind, cloud) is likely at any given time?

Below is a link to the best world weather map I can find.

https://map.worldweatheronline.com/

What I like is that this map is updated hourly and even adjusts for local time zones. What I dislike is the Mercator projection.

Does anyone know of an even better live world weather map available for free online?
        not at all what your are looking at, but another weather resource I really like is www.spotwx.com , it will give you forecasts for several different models all in one spot, and plots it all on a very readable graph.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• I dig darksky.net even if some of the niftiest features don't really work in Edmonton/Canada.
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• ^Thanks. Was not aware of darksky.net. It's excellent.

Comment

• Using it while traveling to get hyperlocal forecasting is pretty swanky.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• This is a handy site that combines local conditions with several models: https://www.windy.com
                I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

• Amazing how a few short years ago, everything around here was drying up with very little precipitation. Boat docks mired in clay, with the water line receding 20 ft or more, certain trees dying off from lack of moisture, grading around buildings collapsing from drying out. The world was coming to a fiery, dusty end. And now, we can't get the tap to turn off.

Comment

• Read this from April 12, 2019. So we had fires up north, rain all summer here...

Prairies can expect unexpected from El Nino this summer - AGCanada - AGCanada

“MarketsFarm — The U.S. National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center on Thursday reported a 65 per cent chance of El Nino prevailing throughout 2019’s growing season.

“A weak El Nino is likely to continue through the Northern Hemisphere summer 2019 (65 per cent chance) and possibly fall (50-55 per cent chance),” the CPC’s report said.

As long as El Nino continues, central, south-central and southwestern Saskatchewan can expect wetter weather throughout the spring and summer.

“El Nino in the summer tends to produce a shift in weather, usually increasing precipitation across the southern Prairies,” said Drew Lerner, president of World Weather Inc. in Kansas City. ...”

“Conversely, El Nino can also cause decreased precipitation in northwestern Alberta, “mostly Peace River country and northern crop areas,” Lerner said.”

https://www.agcanada.com/daily/prair...no-this-summer
                    Last edited by KC; 10-09-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and now Wednesday and not one friggin second of sunshine yet having occurred, maybe late this afternoon, tomorrow? ... sheesh! Amazing how this pattern has been locked in with us since early June! Other than being somewhat milder, I guess we're experiencing a Vancouver winter and not a prairie summer!

Okay, so what outlet appears to have the most accurate forecasting, seems Global tv pulls theirs from a hat and Jesse Beyer and his "Everyone blames me for this weather" and "Oh, it's really not soooo bad out there!" Funny, he was saying that the other day and immediately afterwards they do a story on how farmers are struggling with the harvest and crops not maturing and at risk of freezing. For 40 years I lived on a large grain farm and my thoughts are with the farmers and anyone dependent on good weather. Hopefully, snow isn't just around the corner as it was at this time last year ... just the same, our long range forecast continues to look poor.

Can someone describe why the pattern is soooo stagnant as such, is there a blocking force out in the Pacific or simply just no strong high pressure systems pushing in from the west or up from the south?
                      Last edited by TRtower; 11-09-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• ^This is my understanding. There has been a blocking low pressure system stationed off the BC coast for much of the summer. Circulation around a low pressure system is counter-clockwise. This means warm air is being pulled from the western US up to Alaska which has basked in a summer of record warmth and sunshine (as well as forest fires).

No idea why the pattern has remained stagnant for so long. But like everything weather-related the pattern will eventually break down.

Comment

• It may have something to do with the weakening/slackening of the jet stream, which is increasingly being linked to climate change: https://insideclimatenews.org/news/3...on-temperature

Basically, as the differential between the arctic latitudes and lower ones decreases due to the North warming faster, the jet stream itself weakens as it's driven by that differential. So instead of a tight "belt" around the planet, it's becoming more of a loose rubber band, and weather systems get caught in those bends and stuck for longer periods of time than has been the case in the past. And that leads to more persistent weather patterns.

Comment

• Last year's daytime high on September 13 was 1.3C and the overnight low was -1.8C.

Tomorrow's daytime high is forecast to be 20C with an overnight low of 9C.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-50_metric_e.html

After all the misery we've endured this summer, here's hoping for a warm and dry fall.

Comment

• Thanks guys for the explanation as to the cause of our pathetic summer, I'm 54 years old and can't recall a summer with soooo much dense cloud cover and rain! FINALLY, today we're into sunshine, but that's after a string of four entire days of NO sunshine whatsoever other than literally just a few mins on Wednesday evening. Sure would be major consequences if the jet stream is beginning to go slack due by climate change, summers like this could then become something of the norm, I'd have to move!

Hopefully, the pattern shifts and conditions begin to favor us. But, yes, last September was one to remember and so has this entire summer!

Comment

• From the ever excellent Edmonton weathernerdery website a look at Edmonton's October weather and how the first ten months of 2019 stacks up historically:

Right now 2019 is Edmonton's coldest year since 2009, and the last time that we had a year which was colder than the 20th century average was back in 1996 at -1.7°C below the average. 2019's ranking could still change substantially though, depending on how November and December play out.

At the bottom of this dashboard there are bars which show how warm or cold each month of the year was compared to its 20th century average. 2019 has had a warm January, a cold February, a just-a-bit-above-average March-September, and now October was -2°C below average.
                                http://edmontonweathernerdery.blogspot.com/
                                Last edited by East McCauley; 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X