Site dead??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Don't let Medwards get you down. He has no idea how much work it takes to keep this forum running.

Keep up the good work!
    I have a pretty good idea actually. Ive only spent the majority of my career in IT and have had my hand on several websites and forums
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post

I have a pretty good idea actually. Ive only spent the majority of my career in IT and have had my hand on several websites and forums
      But obviously you were paid for your work. The forum admin don't get paid and have to put up with your gripes.
      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Hi. Hello. Please don't assume you know anything about me, because you don't. I run a few websites as a volunteer for a few societies I'm a member of.

I quite get the the person running the place isn't paid. But if its not a labour of love, and you don't want to make the best of it, maybe its time to hang up the keyboard+ mouse and call it a day.

This forum has been on a decline for several years now... and admin don't really care, doing just the bare minimums to keep the lights on.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

No matter. You are using a free service and then complain about it. Coming from a frequent poster like you, throwing stones in this glass house may ruin it for us all.
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I'm not really complaining. I'm suggesting that instead of using this site as a live test bed for changes, it should be done on the side and then brought here.

It doesn't really matter anyways, there's like 5-7 of left posting on this site with any regularity now... This place has gone the way of the do-do

Comment

Medwards wrote; "I am not really complaining..."

Sure fooled us all.

BTW, not just 5 or 7 posters. There are at least 16 different people on this thread alone.

Comment

There is a lot less active posters since the 'forced upgrade' which only happened because this site was easily hacked because it was running non-secure Http, and using old out of date vulnerable software.

Comment

It was still hyperbole on your part.

The site is getting better every day after the upgrade.

Why not be positive and acknowledge that fact instead of being Mr. Negative.

Comment

If a forum gets "better every day" but the post/view/user counts continue to decline, has it really gotten better?

December 13-23 2019 - 238 posts.
                    December 13-23 2018 - 1015 posts.

(That being said, I'm actually kinda glad the downtime & upgrade was the straw that broke the camel's back for much of the Downtown Uber Alles contingent who've retreated to more supportive & unified boards where their opinions aren't challenged.)

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

I give this site around 3-4 months before it's killed off. It's had a good run, but with most people not using the web the way it was used in 2006, most all use some sort of social media app or similar and don't use traditional websites anymore... This place certainly hasn't had any real new blood in years (ignoring the users who have come back under new usernames several times)

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                        Medwards wrote; "I am not really complaining..."

Sure fooled us all.

BTW, not just 5 or 7 posters. There are at least 16 different people on this thread alone.
                        you clearly dont know what bots are.....

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                          I give this site around 3-4 months before it's killed off. It's had a good run, but with most people not using the web the way it was used in 2006, most all use some sort of social media app or similar and don't use traditional websites anymore... This place certainly hasn't had any real new blood in years (ignoring the users who have come back under new usernames several times)
                          Internet message boards have been slowly fading away for the last decade but for whatever reason in the last 2-3 years the death of forums has been turbocharged. Not that I've been a regular user of this site ever, but all the other forums I regularly browse are probably getting 1/4 the activity they were in say, 2015, if even that.
                          I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Comment

Initially came on this board as a lurker, looking at the construction projects and updates on them. As I began reading more threads, the political ones were interesting enough to draw me in to join and participate. It's been both fun, interesting, and frustrating to hear all different sides of the spectrum, but also some things that I've learned from. Not crazy about the nastiness and personal insults, but I guess you're going to get that from certain individuals no matter where you go. Hope the site continues to improve, and we'll see if the posters that have left will come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
                              ... Not crazy about the nastiness and personal insults, but I guess you're going to get that from certain individuals no matter where you go. Hope the site continues to improve, and we'll see if the posters that have left will come back.
                              A board that is well moderated does not tolerate nastiness and personal insults. I think that is one of the main reasons why people lose interest in this board - at some point the discussion will deteriorate into ugly contempt for your opinion.

Comment

^Can't say I've had this experience in my ten plus years of posting on this board. I've found that if you express your opinion thoughtfully and without rancor, the vast majority of posters respond in kind even those with very different opinions.

As has been mentioned lots of times, anything approaching full-time moderation costs lots of money and would mean the end of this volunteer-run board. All the more reasons we all have a responsibility to police our own online behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                                X