Site dead??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site dead??

Ever since that hack attack we had it seems to be a lot more dead here now even with the upgrade. Is this just a sign people have moved on from c2e and we should shut her down or what?

i would think it's a combination of things...

first, the site was down so people's habits changed, even over the short term.

second, the site didn't just "come back", it came back different and it takes some time to familiarize yourself with anything that's different.

third, it's that time of year when (a) other things start to take a bit more priority, (b) things in general tend to slow down when it comes to new announcements and projects and (c) people are possibly just a little less miserable and argumentative (i'm sure we'll all make up for that in January ).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

There is a certain subset of frequent posters that are still post elsewhere but not here.
      as for the decline of active users, its been on a slow decline for a long while anyways, and without active marketing and just the nature of web trends, forums like this, ones without a dedicated smartphone app are going to go extinct.

it also doesnt help that outside of the bare minimums to keep this place online, the administrators has basically taken a hands-off approach to this thankless never ending volunteer role of keeping a community like this alive and healthy, and I dont blame em. The back and forth bickering that the majority of all us including myself get into is a bit much and not really conducive.

on a personal note, Ive mostly been far too busy to even do more than lurk with an occasional post lately
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I used to get to this site via www.connect2edmonton.com, but as of a couple of weeks ago, I started getting redirected, and was unable to actually connect (too many redirects.) I just tried the .ca extension and got back here, but I think there's a good chance that people have tried to connect and are no longer able, and haven't thought of adjusting the .com to .ca, or haven't tried to search for the site.

Comment

I find it hard with the upgrade to find out what people are posting without doing a multiple of page flips, filters and searches to see activity, especially on my smart phone. The "Trending Topics" are often days old and it is even hard to find the latest post without using the filter, only to find that nothing has changed since you checked before.

I miss the "New Posts" feature in the previous incarnation. If someone can guide me through a new way to see recently active posts, maybe it will help me and others to participate more using this upgrade..
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

There's a "new posts to you!" link directly underneath "Forum Home" in the top left corner. Works exactly as it did before.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
              I find it hard with the upgrade to find out what people are posting without doing a multiple of page flips, filters and searches to see activity, especially on my smart phone. The "Trending Topics" are often days old and it is even hard to find the latest post without using the filter, only to find that nothing has changed since you checked before.

I miss the "New Posts" feature in the previous incarnation. If someone can guide me through a new way to see recently active posts, maybe it will help me and others to participate more using this upgrade..
              Totally agree.

The only way I've been able to access "New Posts" is by using the desktop site which, needless to say, is less than optimal on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                There's a "new posts to you!" link directly underneath "Forum Home" in the top left corner. Works exactly as it did before.
                on my phone it's part of the "drop down hamburger menu" in that location... took me some time to find it as on the previous version i used the "access full site" option on my phone (which the site remembered) rather than the default mobile version. the upgrade/switch left some of us learning/trying to find things twice over as i haven't yet found that same default option (if it still exists).

none of this is the end of the world, it's just time-consuming along with all of the other demands we have on our time...

Comment

Hi all,

The .com issue is now rectified.

The "New Posts to you!" link is the New Posts feature reincarnated.

The moderation panel has moved, thanks to MP for pointing that out. There are a few things that are different in the back end that we are working out...

One of the reasons I resisted the initial upgrade is that while there are now mobile versions of the forum, that is a bit more work to launch. The old one rendered fairly well on mobile. I did buy the mobile packs and will install when I can.

As for the site being "dead"... I don't know where to start. I know I am really upset with some things in Edmonton right now - a lack of accountability and leadership being a key one. I think the overall frustration is being shown via apathy and a desire not to engage. Also, other sites are more of an echo chamber, and that suits some people just fine. To each, their own.

Then there are the one topic fits all drones that even have me not posting on many threads. One does get tired of being punched when they are just trying to make a point.

That said, this is a great exercise in getting this to a new platform, and I will see where it can go next.

President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Richard. Please keep up all the good work.
                    Almost always open to debate...

Comment

^

i'll echo that david… if 1 in 5 edmontonians contributed what RichardS has, edmonton would be the envy of the rest of the country.

Comment

Thanks for the "new posts to you!" link! It makes it much easier to keep up to date with forum activity.

Now I can post 50 or 60 times a day!
                        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

"New posts to you!" seems to have gone missing overnight.

Comment

Thanks for all your work RichardS.

I used to navigate the forum by 'subscriptions' but can't seem to find a similar feature here. Is that still possible?
                            www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                              "New posts to you!" seems to have gone missing overnight.
                              Seems I can still find it if I click on "Home" at the top left. But it's definitely gone missing when you click on "Forum". That's basically the only way I navigate these forums, as the number of sub-forums is totally out of control.

Comment

Working...
                              X