No announcement yet.

A Taste of Edmonton - July 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious regarding the Taste of Edmonton. Does anybody know how many new restaurants or sites there are this year compared to previous? Maybe that is part of the problem. No new offerings. And I have never seen a survey handed out to rate the offerings. This would be a good way to get remove some of the deadwood. If they are rated bad as well as being tested by secret tasters (selected by Taste of Edmonton), they are removed for the following year and then have to reapply after that year. And then have spots opened up for new places (could be a restaurant, etc that has been opened for less then say 2 years) every year and then you would have new stuff. Could also be a criteria for new and innovative that if a vendor is back year after year they have to change one item every two years and take a break of one year. It may entice them to be unique and showcase other parts of their menu.

And I agree with Replacement. Very little bike parking available. Kind of sad for a central public park.

My two cents...
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
      From the standpoint of fare this festival has seen better days. I still enjoy it, love the music, atmosphere, and especially that theres no street performers pestering me
      Don't get me wrong... the atmosphere is fantastic, unfortunately the food was not. Also, one thing that really shocked me (in a good way) was that even though I was there for over 2.5 hours, I never got asked for change one single time. I can't even walk from Central LRT station to City Center Mall (which takes less than 5mins) without being asked for change, so I was very impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by booster View Post
        I am curious regarding the Taste of Edmonton. Does anybody know how many new restaurants or sites there are this year compared to previous? Maybe that is part of the problem. No new offerings. And I have never seen a survey handed out to rate the offerings. This would be a good way to get remove some of the deadwood. If they are rated bad as well as being tested by secret tasters (selected by Taste of Edmonton), they are removed for the following year and then have to reapply after that year. And then have spots opened up for new places (could be a restaurant, etc that has been opened for less then say 2 years) every year and then you would have new stuff. Could also be a criteria for new and innovative that if a vendor is back year after year they have to change one item every two years and take a break of one year. It may entice them to be unique and showcase other parts of their menu.
        I was under the impression that the restaurants were selected through a lottery system.
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I didn't realize it cost that much. Most of the restaurants I am interested in trying are the kinds of places that could not afford $4000 or the time/staff to be at taste of edmonton. And so many of them seem to be on 118 ave. Sketchytown here I come. During the day.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
            Also, one thing that really shocked me (in a good way) was that even though I was there for over 2.5 hours, I never got asked for change one single time. I can't even walk from Central LRT station to City Center Mall (which takes less than 5mins) without being asked for change, so I was very impressed.
            ^ I am impressed too as when I have been down to ToE I or people I have been with approached for change more than once. Not a big deal (to me) but it was disconcerting to some of colleagues yesterday as they are not used to it.

Comment

This afternoon's dining at TOE, for $25 and my 5 star ratings:
              - Teriyaki Salmon on Rice (Zen) - *****
              - Dry Spicy Chicken (Lingnan) - **
              - 2 Bacon Wrapped Scallops (Firestone) - *****
              - Chocolate Shooter Cup (Sutton Place) - *****
              - Alley Kat Full Moon - ***
              - 1 ticket donated to Food Bank box located at information booth on the left side of the stage
              Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 26-07-2008, 02:50 PM.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Seems that the only items people are really enjoying and giving great ratings have some kind of seafood in them... I'm deathly alergic to seafood, so I couldn't try any of them unfortunately. Maybe that's why my TOE experience was so disappointing this year.

Comment

^ The chocolate shooters don't have any seafood!

Comment

lol, are you sure about that? I thought chocolate was made from fish, is it not?

Comment

Working...
                    X