• Show
Clear All

• Rossdale power generating station

1931-1954 - construction and additions
    2001 - Provincial heritage designation
    2009 - decomissioning
    20xx - repositioning?:cheers:

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

The parallels (on a vastly smaller scale) to Battersea are striking.

Comment

Great images. But holy data plan drainage...
      Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Originally posted by AShetsen View Post
        The parallels (on a vastly smaller scale) to Battersea are striking.
        I have said the exact same thing myself.

Comment

It would be great if it could somehow be converted into a mixed use building. Loft condos , open office plans, ground floor market, arts space, community usage, resto/lounge with outdoor seating and views of the bridge, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
            It would be great if it could somehow be converted into a mixed use building. Loft condos , open office plans, ground floor market, arts space, community usage, resto/lounge with outdoor seating and views of the bridge, etc.
            I was thinking exactly the same thing, about lofts or another use. I was thinking that location might be at risk of flooding, but I checked the Alberta Flood Map and see that it is not. Still, it's a bit of an awkward location.

http://maps.srd.alberta.ca/FloodHazard/

Comment

Originally posted by azzey View Post
              Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
              I was thinking exactly the same thing, about lofts or another use. I was thinking that location might be at risk of flooding, but I checked the Alberta Flood Map and see that it is not. Still, it's a bit of an awkward location.

http://maps.srd.alberta.ca/FloodHazard/
              That’s hard to believe. Weren’t they just talking about constructing a $500 million dam west of the city to protect Rossdale etc?

Comment

I can't make out how many levels there are. 3? 4?

I suspect a lot of that structural steel is no longer necessary with the lack of industrial equipment and could be removed to clear the floorprint up a bit. Keep the crane.

So much potential.

I don't know what the best way to develop is. I don't think anyone has confidence that the city can do a proper job. I guess it doesn't have to be a profitable development, but it does have to be popular.
                Do you offer it for sale and require a great concept to be part of the sale package? Buybacks if the development isn't going according to plan, or don't issue permits or who knows.

At the minimum, they should hold an international design competition, with cash awards, and see what the experts come up with.

Comment

Some of that steel must remain or be redesigned to take some of the load from the west wall.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
                    I suspect a lot of that structural steel is no longer necessary with the lack of industrial equipment and could be removed to clear the floorprint up a bit. Keep the crane.
                    Definitely, people like cranes. I've always liked how the cranes were kept as a design element in London's Canary Wharf.

Comment

the control panel photos near the end are eerily reminiscent of the original nasa control panels at cape canaveral...

thanks for posting these (and for posting them in one place as a photo-essay ).
                      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

What if the old power plant became a performing arts venue, a permanent home to the folk music festival? They could have after hours performances inside after 11PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
                          I can't make out how many levels there are. 3? 4?

So much potential.

I don't know what the best way to develop is. I don't think anyone has confidence that the city can do a proper job. I guess it doesn't have to be a profitable development, but it does have to be popular.
                          Do you offer it for sale and require a great concept to be part of the sale package? Buybacks if the development isn't going according to plan, or don't issue permits or who knows.

At the minimum, they should hold an international design competition, with cash awards, and see what the experts come up with.
                          the city has already held at least one rfp/design competition for the power plant.

perhaps it's time to consider a "central depository" for all of the rfp and design proposals that have been submitted to the city over the years for everything from the power plant to the 124 street substation to the stovel block to exhibition lands to surplus lots in riverdale to proposals for the new city of edmonton tower etc. so that this intellectual property would remain in the public realm instead of quietly disappearing.
                          Last edited by kcantor; 30-12-2019, 12:00 PM.
                          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by IrishAtomic View Post
                            What if the old power plant became a performing arts venue, a permanent home to the folk music festival? They could have after hours performances inside after 11PM.
                            Would there be enough room to accomadate the numbers that Gallagher Park now handles? Serious question, I haven't lived in Edmonton for years, so that area is kinda vague to me.

Comment

The folk fest draws about 24,000 per day. You'd need both sides of the lower bowl of commonwealth for numbers like that. And with the LRT opening a stop in the nest year or so, moving to Rossdale would be a step backwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X