X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OffWhyte
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodmanza View Post
    ^ I don't think the point JayBee is making is that Edmonton = Tokyo, but that the nightlife activity in Edmonton isn't as destitute as many make it out to be, both in a vacuum and relatively speaking (hence the comparison).
    I have no idea what point JayBee is trying to make but it comes out like another over-inflated assessment of Edmonton's place in the world much like many earlier comparisons. First we had the Ice District surpassing the Las Vegas Strip; now we have 104 street as Shibuya Crossing.

The comparison is not only faulty but also completely unnecessary because it was made in response to my original assertion that there are areas of Edmonton far more active than Ian's photos indicate--a point to which I think he agrees.

Leave a comment:

• DTrobotnik
    replied
    In interesting thing I discovered in Wellington and Auckland, New Zealand, is that they do signs like the Ice House (facing pedestrians) rather than like Artworks (facing the road, even though it's very nice) and that when you walk down a long street of shops, you can eventually see where your destination is, making it easier to find, and the street also looks A LOT livelier.

Last edited by DTrobotnik; 20-05-2016, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied
    A Day (and now two) in the Life of Edmonton ...and Shinjuku ....and Shibuya.

How do we compare with Vereeniging?
    Last edited by KC; 20-05-2016, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bodmanza
    replied
    ^ I don't think the point JayBee is making is that Edmonton = Tokyo, but that the nightlife activity in Edmonton isn't as destitute as many make it out to be, both in a vacuum and relatively speaking (hence the comparison).

Leave a comment:

• OffWhyte
    replied
    Originally posted by JayBee View Post
    ^ having lived in Tokyo for eight years, I think I can confirm what Ian says better than you can. It's not all Shinjuku and Shibuya, not by a long stretch.

Just love all these trolls makin' stuff up.
    For goodness sakes, please tell me you're not seriously saying Edmonton is anything at all like Tokyo!?! There are more people in metro Tokyo than in all of Canada. There are 600,000 people just in Shinjuku and Shibuya alone. Any comparison with Edmonton is madness!

Leave a comment:

• envaneo
    replied
    great photos IanO, not a bad one in the bunch.

Leave a comment:

• JayBee
    replied
    ^ having lived in Tokyo for eight years, I think I can confirm what Ian says better than you can. It's not all Shinjuku and Shibuya, not by a long stretch.

Just love all these trolls makin' stuff up.

Leave a comment:

• OffWhyte
    replied
    Any comparison of Edmonton and either Tokyo or Shanghai is so absurd it's beyond the pale.

That said, there are areas of town with far more activity than shown in Ian's walkabout.

Leave a comment:

• B.ike
    replied
    Originally posted by IanO View Post
    Actually, there were a good number out and about, but I wanted shots not people and it was a Wednesday at 10pm. Tokyo, Shanghai also quiet, seriously.
    For sure, there are twilight hours in those cities. Not at 10pm.

https://youtu.be/S-5BRDF6cVg?t=1m45s
    Our time 10PM is more like shibuya at 330am.

But honestly, if we have people out and about (and not the kind that accost you for a smoke or toonie) at 10PM on a weekday, it's not that bad.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasH
    replied
    Yeah, Shanghai practically falls asleep at 10:00pm.

Leave a comment:

• IanO
    replied
    Actually, there were a good number out and about, but I wanted shots not people and it was a Wednesday at 10pm. Tokyo, Shanghai also quiet, seriously.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by B.ike View Post
    Wish the night shots had a wee bit more people in them...
    You can't photograph what isn't there.

As discussed in another thread, it's easily the most desolate urban environment I've (and I imagine many other posters) ever experienced.

Leave a comment:

• B.ike
    replied
    Wish the night shots had a wee bit more people in them...

Leave a comment:

• noodle
    replied
    You're as prescient and intelligent as ever SDM & your level of discourse has remained consistent, I will give you that.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by noodle View Post
    Originally posted by KenL2 View Post
    your a bitter man Noodle, each individual likes what they like, that is what makes them individuals. Makes the world interesting
    Haha. You all seem to think I take this place far, far more seriously than I do.

This forum, most of the topics & the posters are a joke to me. Not a very funny joke, more like a sad clown, but a joke nonetheless. The level of discourse & debate on this site has been circling the drain for the better part of 5 years & the ever-shrinking participation reflects this.

Just because I stir the pot & speak bits of my mind in an antagonistic manner does not really give you any insights into me as an individual, moreso the forum persona I wear for theatrical effect.

I'll endeavour to make my schtick less bitter & more umami going forward.
    The insights I get from your posting history is that of a mentally unstable troll. Did I hit the mark?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X