Vintage Railway Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Railway Shots

Somebody on Facebook posted some cool shots of railway operations in downtown back in the day. I thought I would share them. Some of them, I'm not even sure where they are. Anybody can take a guess, I suppose.

And if anybody else has any vintage railway shots of Edmonton, that would be cool to see!

1479239_10201612429445686_787782643_n by chrisvazquez, on Flickr

1490767_10201614942268505_100177731_o by chrisvazquez, on Flickr

546982_10201611718907923_2011926418_n by chrisvazquez, on Flickr

First one - think MacEwan/Arena/Oliver Square. the Yard no longer exists.

middle one - I believe that is still there, cloverbar/beverly bridge near the yellowhead...

Last one is jasper avenue just west of 109 street (bridge no longer)

edit: Last one actually looks like it might be the 97 street underpass on second thought. CNR didn't cross Jasper Ave, that was CP.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Well from the consensus on Facebook, it seems the third picture is the old 101 St. underpass. You're right with the second, and people are still undecided on the first. It definitely looks like it's looking east around where the CN Tower is now.

Comment

I wish the photo was of higher resolution to catch some of the names. I found a similar picture taken in 1965 from pretty much the same spot. I wonder if it was taken from the old 105th Street overpass.

http://www.canadianrailwayobservatio.../jan2012cn.htm
        Last edited by TerryH; 10-12-2013, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah, it might be from the 105 St. bridge. I assumed the curve in the background was just west of 97 St, but there may have been another curve around 101 St. as well...

Comment

Third one is the Stationlands underpass
            Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
              Third one is the Stationlands underpass
              Actually, the third picture would appear to be the now-demolished 101st underpass.

Comment

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

First world war soldiers return home.

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Comment

Thanks for sharing these!
                      youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                      facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Comment

http://www.forthjunction.com/images/chinooktitle275.jpg

This train used to travel 90-100 miles per hour between Edm and Calgary.... 22 stops along the way 4.5-5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
                            Yeah, it might be from the 105 St. bridge. I assumed the curve in the background was just west of 97 St, but there may have been another curve around 101 St. as well...
                            Yes, definitely from the 105 St. bridge....

Comment

^^^ A funicular and the Dayliner. Vaguely remember the Dayliner passing through Leduc when we first came here.
                              Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Working...
                              X