Tour of Alberta - The Prologue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour of Alberta - The Prologue

The inaugural Tour of Alberta kicked off last night with the prologue time trails around downtown Edmonton. Top 3 riders in the world were present along with 168 or so other riders/teams.

http://tourofalberta.ca/site/

Enjoy

Home Sweet Home

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I think you got too distracted by our pretty buildings to take pics of the actual race!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Another 150 or so select photos to follow...

Comment

Was a great event for Edmonton
        www.decl.org

Comment

300 million viewers World Wide... I think
          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Great event - yes. I was one of the "hundreds," (source - Edmonton Sun newspaper) at Churchill Square. Great buzz.

Moved over by the Citadel to watch the coordination of cyclists with lead motorocycles, their support entourage and assorted hangers-on (media etc). Gotta say, the folks running this event are pure pro.

That it was a gorgeous evening helped - always a gamble at this time of year.

Oh yeah, and ever-so-slightly off-topic - cudos to the city cop dealing with pedestrians at 102 and 99th - another pro. He seemed to be on a one-cop mission to improve the EPS image - chatting folks up, generally getting into the spirit.

Already wondering how I can sneak a telly into the office to watch the remaining legs ...
            ... gobsmacked

Comment

^Had opposite issue at 103 St & 103 Ave. Cops pulling people over for jaywalking...on a closed street! I don't get what they were on about.
              www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                300 million viewers World Wide... I think

considering I got beaten about the head with Indy numbers...I will say the same here...

"viewers" does not mean "live". Like Indy, a potential number of viewers that normally watch events like this can see either highlights on the news, web hits, newspaper clippings, magazine articles,or late night replays on their local high end cable channel sometime 4 months from now.

...they are still viewers, and they still count as people who can see Edmonton and see the race and see that things happen here...but it does not equate in any way to 300 million people taking time out to sit down and watch live...or a replay soon thereafter...

That said, I was hoping for more buzz. I live close to the route now, and the buzz wasn't there...this could be a marquee event!
                President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Go organize a soap box on the newly paved Victoria Hill.... yup Rich... it is.

Comment

Saw that...

Can I claim 30 million viewers?

In all seriousness...that is another topic for another thread...

Comment

"In Alberta, I am here for the first time and I am surprised at how many people were watching,” said Sagan. “It was very good.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle13996097/
                      www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                        That said, I was hoping for more buzz. I live close to the route now, and the buzz wasn't there...this could be a marquee event!

Wow !

And here Top_Dawg thought you just sauntered in everyday, beat up our infrastructure, then bolted back to Beaumont to pay your taxes there.

When did you start walking among us ?

Comment

Interested to see any attendance stats.. There were probably 4-500 people at the legislature climb

Comment

If I'd it to do over - likley would have hopped a train from Churchill and checked out the climb myself - looked to be not just a good sized crowd - but an enthusiastic one.
                            ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
                              Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                              (...) then bolted back to Beaumont to pay your taxes there.
                              ...been paying taxes to Edmonton for some time.. ...and Beaumont??? LOL

Originally posted by McBoo View Post
                              (...)- looked to be not just a good sized crowd - but an enthusiastic one.
                              enthusiasm is what is needed...on many levels. That goes a long way as we found out...

Comment

Working...
                              X