• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High level bridge streetcar ride

June 08/2013

A short clip of a ride on a bridge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5064043...71/?likes_hd=1

Two more shots of the High Level Bridge streetcar, this time from afar (August 2014):

“It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Comment

REMINDER - go and take the High-Level Streetcar

http://www.edmonton-radial-railway.a...ghlevelbridge/

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Can it be made "driverless"?

Comment

Sure.

Push him off the train... LOL
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

If ETS had any guts, they would make this a regular year round route from Old Strathcona to 100th ave and jog over to 109th to GM Campus. with at least two alternating trains.

Curb guided buses can run on the route with modifications and run on the streets as well. Think about transit that has no traffic issues or affected by weather when crossing the river valley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guided_bus

https://idahowonk.wordpress.com/tag/curb-guided-busway/

Double decker version
            http://focustransport2011.blogspot.c...ettlement.html

http://futureuta.blogspot.ca/2015/04...ight-rail.html

Or can you imagine the popularity of this for rolling stock?

Maybe we can use the same 1908 signals that work so well and use them on the Metro Line.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
              If ETS had any guts, they would make this a regular year round route from Old Strathcona to 100th ave and jog over to 109th to GM Campus. with at least two alternating trains.
              I don't think ETS has anything to do with it. I believe it
              is operated by the Radial Railway Society.
              Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

It's basically a summertime hobby horse. It should be part of our public transit system.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Its kind of crazy that this ROW that almost connects the two main cultural and commercial areas of the city, and is along a route that is currently underserved by public transit is run as a summertime hobby horse.

Could you imagine what that route could be with some extension and modern upgrades?And with CP pulling out, it could be extended to 63rd ave! Not sure what to do with it on the downtown side, mind you.
                  Last edited by Snake Eyes; 10-06-2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

That's one advantage of the guided bus idea. Use the bridge and the railway ROW and then at either end the buses can simply be driven like a regular bus. A bus rapid transit route. The buses could go down Whyte Ave collecting passengers and then boot downtown and stop at Grandin for people getting on the LRT and the bus continues on to the Arena area. Have dinner in Old Strathcona, hop the bus over the HLB and go to the game. After the Oilers lose the game, get back on the bus and have a beer in Old Strathcona.

Link

I doubt that we will ever see this low cost and innovative idea that is in use world wide. IMHO, ETS/Transportation is putting all their eggs into one basket with LRT and will not look at alternates that threaten their high priced projects.

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
                      Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                      I don't think ETS has anything to do with it. I believe it
                      is operated by the Radial Railway Society.
                      This - helped them arrange some Japanese translation on one of their trolleys once (they have a Japanese one, they also have an original Siemens LRT prototype).

One day the track might be used for the LRT circulator, but until then, this is an amazing route / ride for anyone. Nice to park (or take LRT) to downtown and ride to Whyte.

Comment

I cannot remember where I read this, but apparently the current alignment of the streetcar is the original heavy rail alignment - the original streetcar tracks were on the outside of the bridge with cross-overs at either end so that the doors would open out onto the rail line (instead of open space) in the event of a break down.
                        The opinions and views posted are my own and do not reflect the opinion, views, philosophies, policies, etc. of my employer, its board of directors, or its shareholders.

Comment

I'd love to see the streetcar line extended to Fort Edmonton Park, or at the very least, a line from Fort Edmonton Park to the LRT station that bears its name.
                          Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Originally posted by davidjmathew View Post
                            I cannot remember where I read this, but apparently the current alignment of the streetcar is the original heavy rail alignment - the original streetcar tracks were on the outside of the bridge with cross-overs at either end so that the doors would open out onto the rail line (instead of open space) in the event of a break down.
                            Yes, they had three sets of tracks set up as you described.

Comment

Working...
                            X