HDR photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDR photography

HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography is a technique that can produce stunning results. When I was a student at the Banff School of Fine Arts there was a lecture in a black and white film course where the instructor gave a scenario: You want to shoot the interior of a church where the sunlight is streaming through the stained-glass windows. If you expose for the windows, everything else will be underexposed. If you expose for the interior, pews and altar, the stained-glass windows will be overexposed. So he taught us a technique called "waterbath".

Essentially HDR is the digital equivelent of waterbathing.
    Here is a three-exposure image that I took last night. You can see the Gateway Park oil derrick in the photo. Henday is in the foreground

Nikon D700, ISO 6400, f32

Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Saint Joseph's Basilica

River Valley and Edmonton Queen
    Last edited by 24karat; 07-05-2012, 09:21 AM.

Comment

if you are doing this in photoshop (using the automated process) remember to turn off ghosting. in the river valley pic you can see it in the clouds. also, the point of HDR is to get an image with consistent exposure across the board so don't crank up the radius too high otherwise there's a weird glow effect around hard edges. make it so that it's not obvious that an HDR technique was used and you will amaze people. best time for HDR is early in the day or when the sun is going down. NICE WORK!

recent...
      Last edited by DTrobotnik; 07-05-2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

The river valley image was taken with a point and shoot camera when I was beginning to experiment with HDR. I have lots of nice photos around the province and in Europe, but they would not be appropriate for this thread.

Comment

here is another HDR technique that uses manual matting, masking, exposure and contrast curves adjustments. it is less apparent and creates a higher level of detail. I shot this on saturday with my phone.
          before/after

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
            I have lots of nice photos around the province and in Europe, but they would not be appropriate for this thread.
            I think they would be. It is a thread about HDR more so and if you highlight some basic principles and inspire people, there will be more great images of Edmonton Also I didn't see this was in Edmonton images....just thought it was a general interest thread. sorry.
            Last edited by DTrobotnik; 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM. Reason: stuff

Comment

It's in the Images of Edmonton section. A general HDR thread could be okay in Off Topic, though.

Comment

Switch it to off topic and post more stuff. Nice pics guys.

Comment

Very nice shots!

I'm no photographer but I'm curious, will the Lytro make all this a non issue? i.e. Just adjust whatever part of the image you wish, to whatever effect you want?

Comment

HDR was originally designed (this has already been said) to get consistent exposure where exposures were a few stops apart. It's used heavily for interior photography for real estate and architectural photography, but it's with some other programs like Photomatix out there, it's started to turn into a niche of surreal photos, with that hard glow Dtrobotnik mentioned. Some of them turn out horridly, but some turn out pretty good.

Here's one I did back in September during a short stint in Vancouver..

Comment

Here is a night shot:

The river:

And one more I have (colors overdone on purpose):

Comment

Amazing shots.. Love the Panorama...

Comment

Working...
                        X