Time Lapse Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Lapse Driving

Hey everyone. Just moved to Edmonton from Ontario in November. I love making time lapse driving videos, and during the summer, I will be making lots. So far I've done the Henday, and Whitemud Drive. I thought I would share them with everyone here. Let me know what you think!

How about the YellowHead?

Comment

Groat Road and thru the University area?
      Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

its so cool it should be the new google street view ............
        perhaps already possible and/or on their books
        Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

It would be fun to see one where you're right on the speed limit, to see how many vehicles pass you and at what kind of speeds.
          Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Very cool, I can't wait to see more.

How are you shooting these? I assume a camera mounted in the car, connected to a computer? How often are you shooting a frame?
            They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
              It would be fun to see one where you're right on the speed limit, to see how many vehicles pass you and at what kind of speeds.
              As well as how many have no idea how to merge.
              Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Neat stuff! So, what's the difference between time lapse and running a 'film' at a higher speed? i.e. isn't all filming/recording time lapse - discernible vs not?

Also, for differing contextual information, could you have two cameras or isolate some data and draw a slower speed image (pedestrian, sign etc.) into the full frame view and then accelerate it out?

Comment

^ Good point, KC. I didn't realise the OP was going anti-clockwise on AHD till I saw Windermere.
                  Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

And isn't it odd that all the gradients, though we really have no significant ones, seem to get flattened out at those speeds..
                    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Love the song in the AHD vid! Ratatat rocks
                      Love the vids too by the way, I am with Barry N and would love to see one down the full length of Groat Road from Campus all the way to 111th avenue!
                      edmonton - madrid - edmonton
                      @BrettSMcKenna

Comment

Very cool. Try Whyte Avenue

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions and kind comments.

For those of you asking how I shoot them: it's not actually a time lapse. It is a video sped up, but it's a lot easier to say it's a time lapse. I have a GoPro Hero which is a camera that is designed for this kind of footage. It is attached to the hood of my car by an industrial-strength suction cup. It can record about 2 hours of 720p video straight, so I dont need to have it connected to a laptop.

As for the suggestions, I will be doing all of those routes in the next year. But I want to wait until the summer for some of them so the foliage is more attractive.

Also I want to try to do the same thing for the LRT line. I'm not sure if I'll be able to convince a driver that I can attach it to the front of the train, but we'll see.

Comment

No, I doubt you'd be able to convince a driver, but you may have better luck if you went through some other means. Maybe contact ETS's PR people (if they have PR people), and see if you can work something out with them.
                            They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Might be kinda cool if you had a mountain bike, and could attach it to your bike some how, and hit some of the trails in the river valley in the summer. Some nice scenery down there.

Comment

Working...
                              X