Offensive edm poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
    I've lived here most of my life and most of the statements are true. Not too sure what he means by Soviet architecture
    I think he was using it as a rough stand-in for the International Style. There are a lot of buildings of that style in Edmonton, but the most "Soviet-esque" example would probably be the Legislature Annex.

But even then, Edmonton is far from being the most "Soviet" place in the world as far as architecture goes. Here is a very typical row of apartments in South Korea.

Comment

And it should be said that if the poster was referring to things like the Annex and other supposedly faceless monoliths as "Soviet", the word is sort of a misnomer. Soviet architecture under Stalin actually had a lot of pre-Modernist elements.

Stalinist architecture

I think the Pruitt-Igoe in St. Louis USA is often held up as epitmozing the alleged soullessness of the Modernist style.

Comment

re the annex

I love this building... just not in the location.

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I like the annex as well. And, as a decided non-fan of the Legislature building, if it was a choice between which building to scrap in order to achieve a semblance of visual harmony, I'd be hauling the Pennsylvania marble off to the scrap heap rick-ticky-tick.

But, I realize my opinion is a minority one, so we're probably more likely to lose the annex than the Leg. Probably, we'll be stuck with both of them in atrocious juxtaposition for the foreseeable future.

Comment

That was the trouble in the first place - no visual harmonic between the leg. and the annexe. By itself, the annexe is another rectangular box which does fit into the general landscape of postwar office blocks. Ornate older stye buildings, in singularity, like the legislature work best when left to their own space, unless there's a concentrated mix of styles such as you might find in some older cities such as London.
            Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

^ so the beautiful modern new addition to the Federal building will be a bad thing?!
              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                ^ so the beautiful modern new addition to the Federal building will be a bad thing?!
                It'll be no worse than the Federal Building itself, which doesn't at all match the style of the Legislature.

But really, almost all the office/residential buildings in that area, the Federal, the Haultain, etc. have more harmony with each other than any of them do with the Legislature, which is really the odd man out there. So no, I wouldn't have a problem with any modern addition to the Federal. It'll fit right in with everything that's gone in there, post-Legislature.
                Last edited by overoceans; 16-02-2012, 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                  No, that's not what I'm saying and, anyway, we'll have to wait and see. But, as overoceans says, a modern addition there will be a better fit than that annexe ever was to the leg. I'm looking forward to that whole plaza idea along by the Federal building.
                  Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Working...
                  X