Pictures of old Whyte Ave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of old Whyte Ave

Does anybody have any pictures of Whyte Ave and 105th street, before they tore down the Imperial Oil Gas Station. I think that would be pre-1983?

If so please post 'em! Thanks!

I'd like to see any old pictures of whyte. I started hanging out there in jr. high in the early 80's and would love to see some shots from that era (ya, it's not very long ago given the history, but stil....).

Comment

My Dad took a picture there, I'm not sure the precise date, sometime in the late 70's or early 80's.

Old Whyte & 105 Street by Kurayba

Comment

That price would be per gallon I think.

Eve

Comment

Self serve even back in the day? Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mock View Post
            My Dad took a picture there, I'm not sure the precise date, sometime in the late 70's or early 80's.

Old Whyte & 105 Street by Kurayba
            What a difference made by streetscaping, trees, and an active retail/resto front.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

If anyone knows what year the Klondike Days banner (at the extreme left in the yellowed area), then we should know. It may be 1979 when Northlands celebrated its centennial and renamed and re-branded themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryH View Post
                If anyone knows what year the Klondike Days banner (at the extreme left in the yellowed area), then we should know. It may be 1979 when Northlands celebrated its centennial and renamed and re-branded themselves.
                Thanks for the nice pic, Mock.

Also check out the station wagon's licence plate. The old Alberta plates were 'black gold' before the current colour scheme. So when did the plates change colour? My guess is before the 1980's.

Another observation from the historic pic is the trolley lines. I've never recalled trolley buses going through Whyte. It must mean this was the early 1970s.
                Last edited by North Guy66; 04-06-2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

The camera I think this was shot with was released in 1974, and the license plate corroborates that. The Black/Gold plates were in use from 1975 - 1984.
                  This terrible website suggests that this gas price would have occured between 1977 and 1979. However, it does not specify a region, so it is next to useless.
                  The Klondike Days banner remains the best way to figure out the year.

Comment

I love it!! Great detective skills by everyone - like an episode of "CSI:Edmonton". Any other great pics of Whyte from the past that anyone cares to share?

Comment

Has anybody found anymore pictures of Whyte ave from bygone times?

Comment

Thought I'd ask again - anyone find any cool pictures of old Whyte ave?

Comment

^The Edmonton archives has very few images online and there are some scattered ones on Google. I don't know what it is but Edmonton seems to be one of those places that closely guard (and I mean barbed wire, armed guards and attack dogs) whatever photos were taken in the past. Only ones taken in the last 10 years seem to make it online.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryH View Post
                            I don't know what it is but Edmonton seems to be one of those places that closely guard (and I mean barbed wire, armed guards and attack dogs) whatever photos were taken in the past. Only ones taken in the last 10 years seem to make it online.
                            That's an interesting observation. One would think that it would be in the public interest to have these available to the greater public in a convenient way.

Makes me wish I had taken more pictures when I was younger.
                            Last edited by norwoodguy; 10-03-2014, 07:28 PM.
                            Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

It could be that people that do have old photos and negatives just keep them in boxes. Even places that keep historical collections never seem to want to digitize them. There are lots of historical documents that will rarely see the light of day unless someone's specifically looking for a subject and doesn't mind breathing in several clouds of dust in some dank room.

Comment

Working...
                              X