Edmonton 1970 Can Am Klondike 200 Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton 1970 Can Am Klondike 200 Race

Does anyone have pictures from the 1970 Edmonton Speedway Park Can Am Klondike 200 Race? I've been searching for pictures of this race, I can't find any. If you have please contact me.

You might want to check the City of Edmonton Archives. Either online, or in person

Comment

checked

Thanks, I've checked with archives, they don't have many. I'm trying to get a shot of the pace car leading the pack. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Maybe Northlands?.
        Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

I have dozens of slides from the Can Am races at Speedway Park, but don't have them identified by years.
          Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Do you have any pictures with a 1970 Chevelle convertible pace car? It's a white car. It was used in the 1970 Can Am - Klondike 200 race.

Comment

Ya, I saw that. I am trying to find a picture of it in action, my dad owns the same car, and he remembers seeing it at the race in Edmonton, so I am trying to find a picture of it from back then.

Comment

These guys raced here ask their archives

http://mclaren.com/
                Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Some of the legendary names in autoracing used to race in the Can Am events in Edmonton. I believe that the track was where the Skyview subdivsion is now. Does anyone know if there is a simple plaque or anything to note the heritage of this ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hull534 View Post
                    Some of the legendary names in autoracing used to race in the Can Am events in Edmonton. I believe that the track was where the Skyview subdivsion is now. Does anyone know if there is a simple plaque or anything to note the heritage of this ?
                    Nothing,,, no marker or recognition of any kind.

Edmonton International Speedway was one of the top rated North American Tracks from its opening in the mid 60's up to the 80's when surrounding developments and the associated whining led to its demise.

It wasn't just Can Am...Major Drag Racing events, Trans Am, Formula 5000 and endurance series all successfully ran for many years and attracted spectators from the US and Europe. Major press coverage in all media.

Drivers such as Stirling Moss, Mario Andretti, Dennis Hulme, Bruce McLaren and others from the Road Racing side as well as all the Big Names in drag racing.

Edmonton even had a multi time NHRA Top Fuel World Champion...Gary Beck.

Tom

Comment

Oooops

Contact the Northern Alberta Sports Car Club...they and their members have extensive archives.

Tom

Comment

Drivers such as Stirling Moss, Mario Andretti, Dennis Hulme, Bruce McLaren and others from the Road Racing side as well as all the Big Names in drag racing.

Edmonton even had a multi time NHRA Top Fuel World Champion...Gary Beck.

Tom[/QUOTE]
                        Also

Jackie Stewart and Gilles Villenueve.

NHRA Don Garlits, Shirley Muldowney, Don Prudhomme

Comment

^ You're absolutely right...the original EIS was an international attraction.

Tom

Comment

Kraychy - Stumbled across this thread while researching the 1970 CanAm race in Edmonton. I have a B&W photo that shows a pace car leading Hulme, Gethin, and Motschenbacher on July 26th. But, the car in question is NOT a Chevelle SS but an Oldsmobile 442. PM me if you want to discuss.

Comment

Working...
                            X