Olde Towne Beverly plus bonus Fire Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olde Towne Beverly plus bonus Fire Trucks

On Sunday I got out with noodle and two of his friends and we travelled down to Olde Towne Beverly to see what's going on with the neighbourhood. Seems the four of us and our gear got the 'hood talking, because a nice lady came out to tell us all the ladies at the hairdresser's were talking about us. She asked what we were doing, and our replies of 'just taking pictures' satisfied her just fine...

For those that don't know, Beverly is a former village and town that amalgamated with the City of Edmonton on December 31, 1961. It was founded to serve the many coal mines in the North Saskatchewan River's north bank, and was, at the time, unfashionably far from Edmonton. Wikipedia tells me the first coal mine was open in 1897, and that folks started calling the place 'Beverly' in 1904. The Great Depression was particularily hard on Beverly, and after the coal dried up, Beverly fell upon hard times.

This continues into today, as Beverly could fairly be called a 'gritty' neighbourhood. Like all great neighbourhoods though, Beverly's residents are fiercly proud, and set on improving the area's image with or without the city's help.

We basically stayed within half a block from 118 Avenue, and walked from about 35 Street to about 56 Street and back. After popping into the 7-11 for drinks, we spotted some smoke to the west. By the time we got there the fire was out, and the firemen were cleaning up.

Thanks for looking....
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Nice set of pictures bulliver. I've always had a soft spot for the Beverly area.

Comment

Fantastic shots man! We had a blast! I'll have my stuff up in a day or two once I get rid of the backlog of client work I'm drowning under.
      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

^as do i for my mom teaches in that area.

great shots

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Anytime I find myself passing through Beverly I think it could be a happening place if not for its bad rep (undeserved or otherwise).
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Some amazing photos in there, good work!
            Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Other than the Indian lady who insisted that I had to get permission from everyone including the City to take photos of the street the people in Beverly were a curious and friendly bunch. With the way the area seems to be turning around I'd say the rep may shrink soon.
              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

^ Amazing how some people really don't understand the law when it comes to photography. Though granted it is a bit fuzzy at times here in Canada.
                Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Thanks for the bonus firetruck pics... I spy a couple sexy firemen.

Comment

Truly a moving and stunning photographic essay, Bulliver.
                    http://www.twitter.com/ckls

Comment

This is outstanding. I'd love to see a series of these on Edmonton neighbourhoods.

Comment

Wow, what a great response, thank you so much everybody!

noodle: Had a great time as well, looking forward to seeing your stuff...

etownboarder: Hilarious! Maybe we should put together a calendar

Green Grovenor: What an incredibly kind complement, thank you very much sir!

Dusty Bear: Thanks very much! I'd love to see that as well, but it is too much for one person. Perhaps we could have some c2e neighbourhood photo walkabout meetups? Give each area a thread, and organize a meetup to get it started. Over time it could be a great living resource to see the best and worst of each place through everybody's photos...

Thanks again everyone, the comments are most appreciated...
                        Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Comment

Thanks for the shots. Beverly has the potential to be a great little neighborhood, looks like the pride of the residents is starting to show through. Hope the momentum keeps up!

Comment

Great shots! I encourage everybody to get out and take photos of interesting neighbourhoods around Edmonton ... not just the usual shots of downtown. It's the neighbourhoods that tell the story of Edmonton.
                            BobinEdmonton

Comment

Home sweet home. I grew up there for the first 18 years of my life. I dare-say I turned out okay.
                              $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

Working...
                              X