(c) Darren Jacknisky/WWF-Canada

Edmonton Skyline during Earth Hour

Sir Winston Churchill Square in Edmonton before Earth Hour

Sir Winston Churchill Square in Edmonton during Earth Hour

Switch off at Earth Hour event in Edmonton
    Last edited by glamslamt; 30-03-2009, 09:22 AM. Reason: Thank you! - Added in Article | Editing before picture to correct picture. hope you don't mind.

Haha ... during and before on the skyline look the same!! EDIT: Wait, did you accidentally post the same one?yes, i think you did.

Nice shots.
    ----

Comment

This is the before picture...

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Is it just me, or do the street lights look dimmer too?

Comment

yep, he didn't use the same exposure settings... the during earth hour shot is exposed less...

edit: To be fair, the CAMERA didn't use the same exposure settings, assuming it was on auto...
          Last edited by lat; 30-03-2009, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I understand the idea behind this event, but for all the time, money & reources spent advertising it, etc, we could have actually done something productive like install solar panels or retrofit a couple of houses.
            Mayor Mandel is a immature childish man

Comment

^the event is to bring this to top of mind more than conservation of electricity/resources.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I was thinking - I wonder how much power could be saved by having any natural gas-powered electrical stations within neighborhoods they are servicing?

A lot of power must be lost shipping it through long-distance lines.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
                  A lot of power must be lost shipping it through long-distance lines.
                  That was the reason for the Rosedale power station I am guessing - from an energy perspective, it made a lot of sense. There was even some talk of making it more efficient, by using it to heat hot water for heating for nearby residents (which is what they do in Europe). Main problem though, is that most of our electricity comes from coal, which while we might be able to dig out of the river valley, buring it downtown probably wouldn't do much for our image.
                  Last edited by moahunter; 30-03-2009, 11:57 AM.

Comment

By the powers of Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...mission#Losses

Transmission and distribution losses in the USA were estimated at 7.2% in 1995 [2], and in the UK at 7.4% in 1998. [3]
                    Compared with building a bunch of smaller, less efficient, more costly local generating stations, I'd imagine it just doesn't make a lot of sense. If transmission losses get really high, sometimes it's worth going with DC current instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HVDC

Comment

Presumably some energy might be lost transporting the gas further as well? I understand that is why they build power stations on coal mines, no need to transport the coal.

Comment

Originally posted by raz0469 View Post
                        By the powers of Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...mission#Losses

Transmission and distribution losses in the USA were estimated at 7.2% in 1995 [2], and in the UK at 7.4% in 1998. [3]
                        Compared with building a bunch of smaller, less efficient, more costly local generating stations, I'd imagine it just doesn't make a lot of sense. If transmission losses get really high, sometimes it's worth going with DC current instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HVDC
                        Who said anything about less efficient?

I was just thinking that since natural gas is already available in cities, putting natural gas-powered electrical plants within cities would save that 7.2% that Wikipedia states. Kind of like coal-powered plants near the coal mines.

It was just a thought.

Comment

Just wondering - If we can switch off the NON-ESSENTIAL lights for one hour a year, what about the other 8764.81277 hours? I realize we can't expect all of those lights to be off all of the time, but take a look at the office towers on any night of the year. There can't be that many people working late can there? Do they really need to have all of the lights on? Gotta be costing these companies some $$$.

I just think that if we did pay more attention to this worldwide, we could save a lot of energy. One hour a year is barely a start.
                          aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Good job to the Coast Hotel on being the only visible highrise building downtown with it's big sign on.

Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Comment

Darren and I took some shots from the James MacDonald Bridge of this years spectacle. Not much of a difference, although the Hotel Mac did turn off their non-essentials.

Earth Hour: Edmonton by sahlgoode, on Flickr
                              Violating Foolhardy Tyranny

Comment

Working...
                              X