Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stinger11
    replied
    City's annual budget is.....$1.5 - 2.0 Billion(??) multiplied by 30 years, so what's another $100 Million really(missing money). 1% of the overall expenditures over 30 years?. Good thing I'm not an accountant City turned down $18.0M from the province to put a roof over commonwealth.

Over 30 years, the City will blow more than $100M on funicular things anyways! That's only $3.3M a year on mistakes and dumb ideas. Use the money now, on a concrete idea, taking away too many options for mistakes. It's for their own good!

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    Lord help me/us if he tries to go for Mayor..

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    All this tells me is there is pretty clear support to build, a pretty clear majority want it to go ahead regardless of the existing framework and the opinion to use MSI funds is split almost done the middle.

Leave a comment:

• lat
    replied
    typical Diotte. Anything to further his 'fiscally responsible' image. Playing the media game still...

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    Kerri and the media have sent out this message that the public heavily disaproves of the funding... when it is split almost 50/50 based on his non scientific opinion poll of 1300 people.

1) Would you like to see a new NHL arena in Edmonton? Yes: 68%; No 24%; Don’t know/undecided: 8%.
    2) Which statement to you most agree with? Build the arena now with the current proposed deal: 46%; Build the arena but with a new financial framework: 28%; Don’t build a new arena: 22%; Don’t know/undecided: 4%.
    3) Should the City use Municipal Sustainability Initiative (MSI) money provided by the province for infrastructure to make up the last (or missing) $100 million to build the $450 million arena? Yes: 46%; No: 49%; Don’t know: 5%.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 28-06-2012, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    Hello all,

Thank-you very much for taking the time to complete Coun. Kerry Diotte's downtown arena survey. As requested here are the results of that survey.

We found that 68% of respondents want a new arena built in Edmonton.

However, a significant number tell us they either want a new financial framework than the one currently proposed, or don't want a new arena built at all.

The majority of respondents also indicated the City should not consider using provincial MSI money to fund the remaining $100 million.

For more detail, I've attached the results breakdown for your information.

We also recieved nearly 1,000 comments on this issue. Those are available for viewing at www.kerrydiotte.com

If you'd like to stay updated on key civic issues (including the arena), we invite you to sign up for Kerry's monthly e-newsletter at http://bit.ly/xdjB2r

Thanks again for taking the time to share your views.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Barbara

Barbara Mendez
    Executive Assistant to Councillor Kerry Diotte

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Arena debate postponed two weeks

City staff need more time to match design with budget

A major city council decision on the downtown arena planned for next week has been postponed while staff find ways to cut costs to keep the facility on budget.
    The price of constructing the oil-drop shaped arena shown in schematic designs this spring is now more than the $450-million maximum price, project executive director Rick Daviss said Wednesday.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...743/story.html

Edmontonians like the idea of a new downtown arena, but are cool to the proposed funding formula, according to an online survey conducted by Coun. Kerry Diotte.
    Of 1,339 people who took part in Diotte’s website survey, 68 per cent were in favour of building a new arena. However, there were concerns about the proposed financial framework for the deal, which would see the money for the $450 million project come from Oiler owner Daryl Katz and a combination of a community revitalization levy and redirecting current support for Rexall Place. The project is still $100 million short.
    Only 46 per cent want the deal to go ahead based on the current deal, 28 per cent want it build but with a different framework, and 22 per cent don’t want it built at all.
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/27...hate-the-deal/
    I am really upset at Kerry's communication on this subject... i will post the email from his office.

Leave a comment:

• Blueline
    replied
    City trying to wrestle control of the project away from the tenant perhaps ?

Leave a comment:

• Edmonton PRT
    replied
    Arena debate postponed two weeks

City staff need more time to match design with budget

A major city council decision on the downtown arena planned for next week has been postponed while staff find ways to cut costs to keep the facility on budget.
    The price of constructing the oil-drop shaped arena shown in schematic designs this spring is now more than the $450-million maximum price, project executive director Rick Daviss said Wednesday.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...743/story.html

Edmontonians like the idea of a new downtown arena, but are cool to the proposed funding formula, according to an online survey conducted by Coun. Kerry Diotte.
    Of 1,339 people who took part in Diotte’s website survey, 68 per cent were in favour of building a new arena. However, there were concerns about the proposed financial framework for the deal, which would see the money for the $450 million project come from Oiler owner Daryl Katz and a combination of a community revitalization levy and redirecting current support for Rexall Place. The project is still $100 million short.
    Only 46 per cent want the deal to go ahead based on the current deal, 28 per cent want it build but with a different framework, and 22 per cent don’t want it built at all.
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/27...hate-the-deal/

Leave a comment:

• stinger11
    replied
    Originally posted by alex69 View Post
    Originally posted by Medwards View Post
    Originally posted by alex69 View Post
    Let's not go to extremes like "all public" or "all private". That's not the point.

The point is that the public side is not getting enough control based on its investment. And our mayor Mandel is just fine with that. Why?
    Why just point out Mandel? Majority of councilors, the city administration, and the city Manager all are backing the arena as a good for the city type of project..

But you know, its easy to take potshots at the mayor.

Maybe you can identify what control based on its investment you would like to see? What's missing?
    a. Mandel's the main cheerleader.

b. Here's what "control" I would have liked: -- full control of design, not "input" to be coordinated with the Katz group; -- extras going up simultaneously, liable by the Katz group; -- no land buyout (and no tax breaks after, either); -- no non-compete clause.

Yes, I realize the word control doesn't quite describe it. Pick another word, then. I still think it's a raw deal.
    Regarding your comment on having "full control of the design", couldn't have captured your ignorance of the process any better. The Architects and the Project Management Professionals, who the City has allocated to this project have had direct "input" into the design of this facility. As with any project a consultant is hired for their expertise and the City provides "input". There hasn't been a line drawn that hasn't been scrutinized. How many designations do you have? I'm sure the Architect, who has his Masters, is capable of providing "input"........

Leave a comment:

• Edmonton PRT
    replied
    Originally posted by OilTastic/BigCityDude View Post
    WOW, a whole 75!! i'm sure they'll have a lot of stroke with Katz and the boys at city hall.

How many people came forward on the Katz side with announcements of funding? ZERO

Leave a comment:

• Levko13
    replied
    Honestly the Arena will be a huge step in revilatizing downtown, The city spends millions of dollars a year on projects that do nothing. The city's previous attempts at revitalizing downtown have been good but essentially a waste of money so what's the issue with getting something for your money finally?

Leave a comment:

• OilTastic/BigCityDude
    replied
    Originally posted by jagators63 View Post
    Some Edmontonians gathered in front of City Hall Sunday, protesting a controversial proposal allowing the use of public funds to partially pay for an arena in downtown Edmonton.
    Approximately 75 people turned out for the rally, carrying signs and speaking out on the issue.
    The protestors are against an agreement between the city and the Katz Group – which could put money from a community revitalization levy, towards a new arena and home for the Edmonton Oilers.
    The city is looking to fill a $100 million gap in funding.
    Some think the billionaire owner of the team should simply pay more money towards the arena.
    "Katz can dig up more money, I'm sure." Norman Wilson said Sunday at the rally. "If he can't, we'll find someone else.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...5?hub=Edmonton
    WOW, a whole 75!! i'm sure they'll have a lot of stroke with Katz and the boys at city hall.

Leave a comment:

• jagators63
    replied
    Originally posted by grish View Post
    "Katz can dig up more money, I'm sure." Norman Wilson said Sunday at the rally. "If he can't, we'll find someone else."
    75 people showed up and the gap is $100 million. So, $100,000,000/75 =$1333333.33 per person.

There is no way, Norman will not find someone else because katz is the owner of Oilers and this guy forgot one thing that this deal shows that the city owns the land and arena.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "Katz can dig up more money, I'm sure." Norman Wilson said Sunday at the rally. "If he can't, we'll find someone else."
    75 people showed up and the gap is $100 million. So, $100,000,000/75 =$1333333.33 per person.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X