Gateway Boulevard and Calgary Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
    plans for 104st, which is slated to have University Ave to 82 ave turned back into a two-way road
    Seriously? Ugh, our access into and out of downtown via the south side is so pathetic...and it doesn't seem like the 250 (some) million spent on 23rd ave is in any way part of a bigger (coordinated) plan to improve that.

Comment

• ^Scona Road, Connors Road, new Walterdale, Capilano/Groat Bridges... I guess a free-way through one of Canada's best shopping and walkable historic districts is what everyone is looking for? However that is 103 street we are talking about. Business along the old 'Main Street' (104 street) need a two-way road to grow and thrive. Two-way road from University Ave north means more business, more people walking to and from work/shops/play, and more commerce and activity in one of the city's best neighbourhoods. Besides, 104 st is a southbound lane, not northbound into downtown.
      Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

• The 41st ave SW Interchange has finally started construction and the rail yards to the east are slowly progressing. That massive yard east of gateway and west of 99st is a great opportunity to develop and transform the southern entrance to our city.

.......or maybe another strip motel???

Comment

• I'm not advocating for Gateway/Calgary Trail freeway all the way into Downtown, but I think that it's important that the city improves these two roadways both functionally and aesthetically, so here's what I've outlined as a plan for a central North South route into Downtown.

1) Upgrade the portions of Gateway and Calgary Trail up to Whitemud to freeway status. Construct one additional interchange at 34 Avenue and modify the Whitemud interchanges so traffic is free flow moving from Gateway and Calgary Trail and vice versa.

2) After Whitemud, Gateway and Calgary Trail will maintain the same form as they do in the present day as major arterial roads with at-grade intersections; however, shortly after 51 Avenue, Calgary Trail will merge with Gateway as a two-way road. The northern remainder of Calgary Trail will become a two way street as prescribed in the Strathcona Junction Planning Study. Here is a map of what I propose to the area. Blue = North Bound Traffic l Yellow = Southbound Traffic l Red = Road Closures

3) At some point before Whyte Avenue, begin a tunnel using a boring machine to avoid disturbing the Old Strathcona District. Northbound traffic to Old Strathcona will still be permitted as well as Southbound traffic from Old Strathcona going on to Gateway/Calgary Trail. The tunnel will end and open out into the River Valley where Queen Elizabeth Park Road presently stands. This will allow two way traffic onto the Walterdale and into Downtown. In my rendering, the tunnel would begin at 79 Avenue to reduce disturbance to historical landmarks and since it is surrounded by relatively undeveloped land beside the rail yard. The interchange at 79 Avenue would be similar in structure the one found on Wayne Gretzky Drive at 106 Avenue. The dotted pink line represents the tunnelled portion that allows two way traffic.

4) Once across the river, I've drawn an idea from Foolworm's plan: to have 105 Street go onto Bellamy Hill Road where it will eventually lead to 101 Street. Overall, the final result will be a continuous North-South route through much of the city since using 101 Street will allow two way traffic coming from the Southside go through Downtown and through much of the Northside.

Comment

• Was quite surprised, and confused to see 'coming soon' signs along this stretch of gateway, just north of 34 avenue. I did not imagine this was ever land to become anything. It is rather nice just having it as berm hiding the railyards and adding trees to the stretch.

Would this not also hinder any type of bridge etc... for 34 avenue in the future?

I would really like to see the city's longterm plan for gateway, because as it stands it seems there is absolutely no vision.
            I do not look forward to more strip malls/industrial warehouse, in fact they should be making more berms and adding more trees....

All info/photos here:
            http://www.edmonton.ca/business_econ...48_Gateway.pdf

Comment

• An election is coming up...let's bring this up with the candidates, shall we?
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Yes would be nice to have this addressed, I think this a very important issue that has been and continues to be ignored.

Comment

• I think merely a re-look at the plan and a couple revisions since 2011 are in order.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...solidation.pdf

Comment

• Won't the rail container yard be gone from there once the new one at our southern boundary opens? Seems the current site would be integrated with the strip outlined above. Not sure how, though, as the through rail line will still be there for the foreseeable future. Do we really need the line to come in as far as 82 Ave? If it was passenger traffic, I could see it. But freight? Nah.
                    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

• ^Not in municipal jurisdiction, and there is still a switching yard between 81ave and 63ave.

Comment

• Anyone here anything more about this strip of land soon to be for sale along Gateway?

It sure would be nice to use the land next to the CPR and turn Gateway into a north-south freeway right up to about University Avenue where there would be exits to Whyte Avenue and a tunnel down to cross the new Walterdale Bridge.

Calgary trail could be turned into a two lane north and south bound local roadway.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Jackson View Post
                          Anyone here anything more about this strip of land soon to be for sale along Gateway?

It sure would be nice to use the land next to the CPR and turn Gateway into a north-south freeway right up to about University Avenue where there would be exits to Whyte Avenue and a tunnel down to cross the new Walterdale Bridge.

Calgary trail could be turned into a two lane north and south bound local roadway.
                          I hope this is in the city's future plans. The layout now just doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                          X