Mass Murderers on Campus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Murderers on Campus?

“Wow, for a second I thought that the University was going to try to get students who are collapsing under their workload help. But no, they are just treating all of their students as if they all were potential mass murderers…”

I found this online quote from “BiffMaGriff” amusing and so true!

There is a great deal of fear and ignorance surrounding mental health issues. Ask me - I know. And our very own University of Alberta recently announced (March 18, 2010) the following, as reported by CBC:

“Students and staff at the University of Alberta will soon be encouraged to report others who may have mental health issues and might pose a risk to campus safety… The information would be evaluated by a team which would assess the student and contact campus security if necessary. Psychological support will be offered to the student, hopefully within hours after the report is made.”

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...al-health.html

There is a tenet in the law that an individual is “innocent until proven guilty”. I presume this university “team” will be similar to a court of law, providing evidence, a lawyer for the hapless student, a prosecutor, and a jury? If everyone who was charged with an offence were guilty there would be no need for the justice system or defense lawyers.

And what of the “team” themselves and campus security? Does harassment ring a bell, or illegal confinement or slander or unlawful prosecution? I smell a lawsuit here (probably several) against the university and possibly the whistle blower who has a grudge against a fellow student…the Student Union very correctly observed that making this mandatory (as the University originally proposed) would “affect student relationships.” Well, yes. And freedom of speech? As an alumnus of the U of A (1975), I am very grateful that I attended at a time when compassion and understanding were more important than fear, ignorance, humiliation to a fellow who may evidence different beliefs and standards than oneself (it’s ‘my way or the highway’) and vindictiveness.

It has come to my attention that people on campus (and elsewhere) on occasion do not tell the truth, particularly where “relationships” are concerned. Are there professors and students on campus who are bipolar? Schizophrenic? Homosexual? Depressed? By all means, segregate and “treat” them! The abuse of human rights this action by my alma mater intimates is appalling. But wait - the article goes on to say that “While the program has not yet been approved by the board of governors, the university is already following the guidelines”.

What a place to get an education! I myself was treated with humanity and dignity in 1976 and afterward, when a mental health problem necessitated my withdrawal from a planned postgraduate program. I am so grateful that the present administration and their alarming proposals ordinarily are not followed by compassionate and intelligent administrations and individuals elsewhere.

George Orwell, anyone?

-- Kenna McKinnon

Yes, indeed, there is a great fear and especially ignorance surrounding mental health issues.
    The U of A is just exploiting that.
    Now if students vent hopefully they don't whip out the straight jackets.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Already a thread on this topic:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=16381

Comment

^ This is a guest column, not just another thread.
        Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Oooops.

Comment

Ever since 9/11 we have seen a shift in western thinking.

Civil Liberties are no longer important.

Privacy = You have something to hide.

We are in an information society where we willingly expose all our intimate details of our life. (Facebook, Twitter)

The general attitude is that everyone has a right to know everyone else business. After all if your not doing something bad / wrong / illegal, why do you care?

This is just another case of invasion of privacies under the guise of 'help'
            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

I don't know if it's an invasion of privacy so much as it is a loss of trust. "Because one or two people have shot up schools elsewhere, we can no longer trust the other tens of thousands of you here who haven't not to do so."
              Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

“Students and staff at the University of Alberta will soon be encouraged to report others who may have mental health issues and might pose a risk to campus safety… The information would be evaluated by a team which would assess the student and contact campus security if necessary. Psychological support will be offered to the student, hopefully within hours after the report is made.”
                The university could have worded that statement better, as in omit the term "mental health issues".

Or just say report others who have insanely violent fantasies like wearing camouflage fatigues and pointing guns on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                  Yes, indeed, there is a great fear and especially ignorance surrounding mental health issues.
                  The U of A is just exploiting that.
                  Now if students vent hopefully they don't whip out the straight jackets.
                  I find it ironic that an institute of higher learning would be guilty of fear and ignorance of a health issue. Perhaps if they showed more humility they might be able to see things from other perspectives.

Comment

I work at the U of A and nobody seems to be taking this seriously. I think the administrators kind of overreacted. There are free counselling services for both students and stuff on campus, hope ppl who need them would seek help without harming themselves or others.

Comment

Wow, this blows me away!! I wonder how many Admin people, have mental illness of some type in their own family? We cannot predict who will go "postal" Should anyone make threats of gun violence, yes they should be investigated and helped. This policy is terrible, in that it is discrimatory, sets mental health issues back to the middle-ages. I hope they re-think this policy. The U of A is obviously a world onto itself. Totally out of touch with reality themselves.

Comment

There must be a few hundred people (staff & student body) that suffer mild to severe depression. Now this is considered a mental health issue.
                        Are they going to be keeping an eye on these people even though most depression sufferers improve with medication alone.
                        For a institute that supports higher learning it seems they are not getting very far on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jellybean View Post
                          Wow, this blows me away!! I wonder how many Admin people, have mental illness of some type in their own family? We cannot predict who will go "postal" Should anyone make threats of gun violence, yes they should be investigated and helped. This policy is terrible, in that it is discrimatory, sets mental health issues back to the middle-ages. I hope they re-think this policy. The U of A is obviously a world onto itself. Totally out of touch with reality themselves.
                          Par for the course in Alberta I'm afraid. It's either ignore the issues altogether or completely over react.

Comment

I'm thinking of reporting Andy8244.
                            aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                              I'm thinking of reporting Andy8244.
                              But will he go quietly?.

Comment

Working...
                              X