No announcement yet.

The Importance of Local Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, but this whole thing reeks. This is a blantant lobbying effort. Honestly, OTA stations could be spending this time and effort on figuring out how to make their products better and innovate, rather than begging for more cash. The free market system works for a reason. If you aren't providing a viable product, someone else will. Industries die all the time, why delay the demise of this one? If you can't make it on your own, die already. Innovators will come up with a new way to do what you're doing profitably. And anyone with one iota of intelligence can understand that this wave is coming from the internet. So, get cracking -- it's time to re-invent yourself.

Comment

I think it's a great idea for CTV to present news on many different platforms as technology evolves. As a young Edmontonian I believe that the continuance of accurate, on-time news from a trusted source is an important factor in our society. If we let that disappear, what other outlets will we turn to? My question is why wouldn't people want to support something that provides information about what is going on around us. Why wouldn't people want to support their local television station? I'm sure people that work at CTV are passionate about what they do and passionate about keeping us up to date with current news.

Comment

Originally posted by parker View Post
        The free market system works for a reason.
        It does - but we don't have a free market. We have an intermediary, the cable / teleco companies, that have a type of oligopoly, in a complex regulated environment. We are essentially forced to purchase the channels they present, in the packages they present.

I know that I would pay more for local news, than I would for some gameshow channel. The risk we face right now, is that CTV and Global could decide tomorrow to eliminate local TV news, because they are not making any money on these services. It is cheaper for them to produce an "Am I smarter than a pre-schooler" or some other inane Canadian content show, than to make quality Canadian programs, or support the high cost of local news for Canadians. The reason they aren't making any money in an environment where TV advertising revenues are disapearing (thanks to PVR's and similar), is because they are not allowed to charge a sufficient amount to the cable channels to cover costs and make a reasonable return (thanks to broadcasting regulations, which I don't pretend to fully understand).

I don't see how that is a good system, and when we wake up one morning to find all of our TV news produced from Toronto with little mention of Alberta, let alone Edmonton, I think many of the people who think the current distorted market is fair the way it is, will have second thoughts.
        Last edited by moahunter; 29-05-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Did not want to open a new thread for this but I'll mention it in this one. Looks like it will be an interesting show to watch.

Edmonton International Airport the star of reality TV show.

The Edmonton International Airport is the star of a new reality TV series.
          Intrigued by how the airport stays open during harsh northern winters is what attracted president Joe Houlihan of Toronto-based Our House Media to send film crews to the airport beginning last December to shoot a 10-episode series.
          Airport: Below Zero is a documentary series, produced in association with Corus Entertainment, that promises to show the “intricate and intense balancing act” required to keep Canada’s most northerly major airport running smoothly despite blizzards, medical emergencies, diverted planes and even a snowy owl. The show airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT beginning Oct. 5 on History.

http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...eality-tv-show
          Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Working...
          X