Put 'Fight' Data Recorders everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put 'Fight' Data Recorders everywhere

I know the hatred we all have of Big Brother using CATVs to monitor everyone's movements like they use in London, etc. (I believe the monitored cameras along Whyte Avenue were removed weren't they?)

However, I've never understood why our city doesn't use un-monitored cameras to simply and cheaply record events. Only if a crime were reported would the 'tapes' be pulled and reviewed. (This is no different than all the private security cameras in use in retail stores, banks, etc.)

I've recently heard of several unusually aggressive and 'intimidating' approaches being made by guys trying to obtain money from people walking downtown. One girl (a friend of friend) has been approached several times recently - with one guy suggesting he'd walk with her to her ATM to get him money. Incredible! That's stepping WAY over the line in my world. That same girl had a guy slap her trunk and then accuse her of backing into him - fortunately a lady who witnessed this came up and defended her.

Note: I prefer the idea of numerous police foot patrols but we all know that that idea's been on the table for decades.

Panhandlers are not afraid of cameras. Foot patrols, maybe.

I still think foot patrols are better than cameras, and I would rather see that money invested there. At least, until wireless access is in place...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

panhandlers have nothing to do with that.
      but, i do agree that police presence is better than cameras. they make me uneasy...

Comment

Re: Put Video Cameras all over the place

Originally posted by KC
        I know the hatred we all have of Big Brother
        Am I the only one then that thinks they do bang-up charitable work?
        [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Comment

I have no problem with panhandlers, squeegee people, etc. I gave 20-bucks to a guy that "needed to catch a bus" the other week. (Yes, may have got scammed - but what if the guy really was telling the truth??? - I buy a watch and I'm likely handing over a 50%+ profit margin or helping grossly enrich someone along the supply chain.) And I see squeegee people as true entrepreneurs.

Now cameras - they can help after the fact - while foot patrols create fear of surprise in the minds of criminals and provide an immediate response - they can do so only if they are present. Even then cameras could help obtain just convictions or sometimes just releases.

Comment

Originally posted by KC
            I have no problem with panhandlers, squeegee people, etc. I gave 20-bucks to a guy that "needed to catch a bus" the other week. (Yes, may have got scammed - but what if the guy really was telling the truth??? - I buy a watch and I'm likely handing over a 50%+ profit margin or helping grossly enrich (...)
            Let me guess...

"Sir, I just got a job in Ft McMurray but I need money to catch the Greyhound to get there. I really am not someone who begs but I need to get up there. Anything you can spare is great."

About late 20's, 6', wears a red or blue ball cap, sometimes a green jacket, sometimes off brown.

Why?

He's been walking around for 3 months already. Same as the "help out an old drunk from Halifax" as he says it with the most contrived Newfoundlander accent imaginable. He's been around for 5 months.

So, if that is the person, you've been scammed. By the way, employers have busses that go up north. He could board it anytime. If he got the job through the Hall, then there are definitely ways up there. Told him so, showed him where he could catch one. He approached me the next day, same story.

...am I getting jaded, hell yeah.

Comment

Back on topic...

Cameras could help, I just wonder on the administration and set up costs. Is this a real savings over a beat cop?

Comment

Yes - almost verbatim. The "God Bless You" at the very end was a real tip off - but still - a lot of people hit hard times and others will never be "employable" so a few bucks out of my pocket may keep them from committing some crime to put 'whatever' on their table.

(Of course - some people are just "takers" - but I figure the best ones are always very gainfully employed.)

Comment

London is heavily surveyed and is seems to have helped there. Essentially it's a supplemental system - the cameras can alert beat cops where to head.

For Edmonton, though, perhaps the money would be more wisely invested in beat cops for the time being.
                  LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                    Originally posted by KC
                    I have no problem with panhandlers, squeegee people, etc. I gave 20-bucks to a guy that "needed to catch a bus" the other week. (Yes, may have got scammed - but what if the guy really was telling the truth??? - I buy a watch and I'm likely handing over a 50%+ profit margin or helping grossly enrich (...)
                    Let me guess...

"Sir, I just got a job in Ft McMurray but I need money to catch the Greyhound to get there. I really am not someone who begs but I need to get up there. Anything you can spare is great."

About late 20's, 6', wears a red or blue ball cap, sometimes a green jacket, sometimes off brown.

Why?

He's been walking around for 3 months already. Same as the "help out an old drunk from Halifax" as he says it with the most contrived Newfoundlander accent imaginable. He's been around for 5 months.

So, if that is the person, you've been scammed. By the way, employers have busses that go up north. He could board it anytime. If he got the job through the Hall, then there are definitely ways up there. Told him so, showed him where he could catch one. He approached me the next day, same story.

...am I getting jaded, hell yeah.

That guy hassled me last week actually.

A friend of mine was in a drunken fight outside a pub in london last week that got broken up pretty much immediately due to the cctv system there. Might not be a bad idea on whyte. It would have certainly helped in the Canada day riot over there, not to mention all the hooliganism that happens at night.

Comment

Back on topic...

Cameras could help, I just wonder on the administration and set up costs. Is this a real savings over a beat cop?
                      Done properly a beat cop is also a tourist information stop, place to report a crime, a socilal work presence, a hailer of a cab or an ambulance, or even just a friendly face on a lonely street.

Camera's cant do that. And for the most part, neither can police in cars.

Comment

...but the ones on bikes can...

Comment

I'm thinking more as FIGHT Data Recorders - no monitoring at all - as monitoring essentially takes a warm body off the street. A/V recorders would only act as witnesses after the event just as bystanders do.

(And just as any testimony from any witness - it can be wrong or lead to wrong conclusions but on balance it's better than nothing.)

Moreover, we'd only be following the lead of the private sector - Banks, 7-11's, etc don't monitor their cameras - but they do sometimes deter (or move?) crime, and do help after the fact.

On the streets, record-onlys' would avoid a lot of the 'invasion of privacy', big brother distaste London's CATVs created.

Note: Sorry folks, I thought Fight Data Recorder was rather cute so I couldn't resist changing the subject heading.

Comment

...but the ones on bikes can...
                            No way, the bike cops are freaky, especially when they parade down Whyte in a huge pack of 30.

Comment

Looks like another "old drunk from Halifax/Trying to get to Ft. McMurray" scammer...

Originally posted by Edmonton Journal

Hard-luck 'Bonnyville' woman takes panhandling to new level
                              Article Tools
                              Printer friendly
                              Font: * * * * The Edmonton Journal
                              Published: Monday, May 01, 2006
                              I've always been of the belief that when someone is down on their luck, they deserve help.

I'm now rethinking that philosophy based on a recent incident. On Tuesday, April 18, at approximately 6:30 p.m., I decided to shop after work in the west end at Mayfield Common.

I parked my car in front of Winners and, as soon as I'd closed my door, I was approached by a lady, about 30 years of age. She was nicely dressed, seemed well educated, clean and in tears. "Excuse me, ma'am," was her opening remark.

I asked her what was wrong. She told me that she was from Bonnyville and on her way to Medicine Hat because her father was ill after a heart attack.

She had car problems and couldn't continue her journey and was trying to round up some cash for a cheap hotel for the night. She asked me for $5.

I would not normally have believed the tale, but I felt sorry for her plight. For some reason I thought she was genuine, so I went into my purse and asked her if she had enough money.

She said she was short $5 or $10 and I actually gave her the only $20 bill that I had.

She thanked me profusely, said: "God bless you," and said that she couldn't understand why people were so suspicious.

I went on my way thinking that she needed the money more than I did. However, a couple of times I questioned if she was truly in dire straits.

On Sunday, April 23, I stopped late in the evening at Safeway in Westmount Shopping Centre. It was dark and there were not many cars in the parking lot.

As soon as I'd closed my car door, there she was in front of me. "Excuse me ma'am. Could you help me? I'm from Bonnyville and I'm stranded."

A smile came to my face. There she was -- the same lady, shoulder-length brown hair, same story!

I was surprised and yet not surprised.

What are the odds of her approaching me twice within one week in a different location?

I didn't listen to her whole story but told her that maybe she should return the $20 that I'd given her last Tuesday night in the west end. What a look of surprise on her face! She gave me a blank look, turned and walked away.

I obviously don't know her real story (I'm sure she has a good one) and in some ways I feel sad for her that she is doing what she's doing.

It's incredible in this day and age, with all the job opportunities out there, that someone has to stoop so low to beg and deceive.

She obviously makes a reasonable living from this.

Maybe she should be on the stage because her performance the first time around was so convincing.

If you've encountered this lady, you'll know the story. If not, then don't be fooled.

Pam Wellings, Edmonton

© The Edmonton Journal 2006

Comment

Working...
                              X