No announcement yet.

Whitecourt slides into ingenious solution to Edmonton’s beach woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I did. The city overcomplicates what should otherwise be simple matters on a regular basis. However, there's nothing simple about Federal environmental regulation or liability for causing an outbreak of some pathogen. So I ask again, was there some simple solution well within the city's hands on the Great Divide that you are aware of that no one else was? Or are you just talking out of your rear?

Comment

It was running for more than 25 years, no fish were seen floating upside down and no one got sick. It was a farce to shut it down especially when there are much more serious polluters and pathogens being added to the river every day.

A great attraction was killed over nothing.
      Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 02-08-2019, 04:21 PM.
      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

None of it matters now.

Whitecourt is just a short drive away. Edmontonians can give their economy a nice bit of support while having some local fun.

River rafting is nearby too!

A link in the above article took me to this 2017 article:
        Calgary, Drumheller and Red Deer keep wading pools. Why can’t Edmonton? | EdmontonJournal

Red Deer uses the river to make a beach

Red Deer has an interesting solution to Alberta Health filtering regulations — make the wading pool a natural water feature.

Alberta Health gave its blessing to Discovery Canyon, a lazy river and urban beach that reopened in 2017 after a $2-million facelift.

The renovation fixed trip hazards and re-aligned the lazy river to ensure there were no pockets of standing water trapped in corners. But the basic concept remains the same: natural, untreated river water is diverted and pumped uphill to the free public amenity.

It carries tube riders down a gentle man-made river, fills a wading pond at the bottom, then flows back into the Red Deer River.

“It’s constantly flowing,” said Barb McKee, with Red Deer Parks and Recreation. The water is untreated but constantly monitored and had no issues this summer. “It’s treated like a natural feature.” ...”

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-cant-edmonton

X-ref. to the 2007 thread (I concede that it’s never going to happen)

Build a large artificial "beach" in the River Valley

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...e-River-Valley
        Last edited by KC; 02-08-2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Red Deer is much smarter. Maybe the COE should do a 2 year study and pay the consultants $2million just for the report... FCOL

What I like is that the slide meets the public need. Commercial water slide parks have their place but unless they are indoors, they are not too viable in the short Edmonton summers. This idea is simple, surrounded by natural grass, no stairs, roll it up and put it away for next season. Smart.
          Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 02-08-2019, 08:00 PM.
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Whitecourt does not roll up the tarps and store them away, those tarps stay on the ground permanently. The slides stay open late in the season, they have a temperature sensor that will activate the pumps when the air goes above a certain temperature. I have went to rotary park on September 15 last year and still saw a bunch of brave kids in swimming suits, sliding down the slides while I was wearing fall clothing.

I will be heading to Red Deer this Monday to see what they have at Discovery Canyon...
            Last edited by ThomasH; 02-08-2019, 08:44 PM.
            Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

FYI

Whitecourt is not a "short" drive away. THe most people drive for any amenity that isn't one of a kind is 60 minutes - on average.

A water feature in Whitecourt is a great idea for them. Being a smaller centre, they can move quicker.
              President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

It takes anywhere from 1.5 hours to under 2 hours to drive between Edmonton and Whitecourt, and that's if you're clipping along at 120 km/hr.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

And the point is? Whitecourt or Red Deer? ( Edmonton couldn’t do it but they could.)

I know people that will drive to Calgary to go shopping. I’ve spent a hour in traffic just getting home from work downtown.

Comment

Working...
                  X