Tie Whyte Avenue to Jasper Ave via shops on 109th Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Whyte Avenue to Jasper Ave via shops on 109th Street

I think central Edmonton would become a much, much more dynamic city if it were to encourage retail development along 109th street (especially between the bridge and Jasper Avenue).

It would tie togther 109th Street south of the Bridge to the north of the bridge - creating a retail tie-line between Whyte and Jasper Avenues. (People could even walk one-way and ride the street car back. - A shopping triangle.) It would also provide a river valley 'destination' opportunity.

Additionally, a retail bldg is needed by the tracks on Whyte (it't now a car lot and parking lot) to eliminate that invisible barrier that causes visitors to Whyte Avenue to turn and walk back to the west - never seeing the further eastern parts of Whyte Avenue.

109st is one of the most under "retailed" spots in this city....it always amazes me the lack of developmen on the west side.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

yes, the 109. i wonder if anyone has ever noticed that it connects the university, metro college, norquest college, MacEwan, St. Joseph High, NAIT, (and Victoria Comp near by). where there are students--there should be vitality. the street connects most of our colleges. "College Way" anyone?

Comment

How about a trolley/streetcar triangle?

Comment

It's still a long long way across the valley. The only way to solve that is with a trolley/street car service like dan said.

Comment

109 St. has lots of potential, I am always scratching my head wondering why there are gravel parking lots just south of the Associated Engineering building when that land is prime for development. I was also disapointed when the developer didn't keep the stores along 109 St. when they built Cosmopolitan condos, and now we are left with a soulless parking lot sandwiched between the towers. They could have had retail on the first floor of the parking lot. The stores that are there are the kind of stores you would find on Whyte Ave.
            Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

The Cosmopolitan towers were developped by True North, and it doesn't seem like the put much thought into that development other than to slap up 3 large buildings as cheap and fast as possible. I believe even the parkade structure was a complete after thought...oh people want a place to park their car?!?!

Comment

You read my mind DanC!
                Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Yes but even on that parking structure they can redo it to allow for small retail stores.

Comment

The ramp from floor to floor is right next to wall facing 109st, it would be virtually impossible without tearing the whole structure down. Hey! I just got an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasH View Post
                      109 St. has lots of potential, I am always scratching my head wondering why there are gravel parking lots just south of the Associated Engineering building when that land is prime for development. I was also disapointed when the developer didn't keep the stores along 109 St. when they built Cosmopolitan condos, and now we are left with a soulless parking lot sandwiched between the towers. They could have had retail on the first floor of the parking lot. The stores that are there are the kind of stores you would find on Whyte Ave.
                      Years later I'm still wondering about this too. Is there anything on the horizon?

When the light the bridge campaign gets done maybe people will gravitate towards the bridge itself.

Comment

1. Procura owns the lands north of 100ave to Jasper and has long term plans for them. South of 99ave is owned by the Province I believe and is used for parking. I assume there might also be some issues with LRT beneath.

2. When those went up we were lucky to have anything going up in the core and so True North Properties was lauded as a saviour of sorts. Sadly, it was an incredibly unfortunate design/orientation and now we are left with one of the best examples of terrible.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                        X