Create incentives for downtown parking lots to be paved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create incentives for downtown parking lots to be paved

Parking lot operators in the downtown should be taxed extra if they choose NOT to pave their lots. This would be the incentive they need to get their lots paved … and improve the accessibility and image of our downtown. (I'm told that some major cities like Calgary have bylaws requiring all downtown parking lots to be paved.)
    Edmonton: Capital of Canada's Bold West!

That is a good idea but I also think it would be a good idea to give parking lot owners a tax break if they decide to develop their parking lots into condo, and commercial buildings etc.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

I like that idea, both for paving then and for the incentive to develop on that lot. Parking rates increase, so be it.
      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

I want to get rid of (or at least pave and clean up) all downtown parking lots as much as any of you, but i'm not sure this is something that can be enforced right now. I would hate to see some of the lots on the edge of downtown abandoned because they don't create enough revenue to make it financially viable to pave, or parking rates artificially increased. At least a muddy parking lot serves a purpose as the landowner waits for the land value to rise. An overgrown fenced off lot full of weeds is much worse than any parking lot.

I guess it all depends if parking rates are high enough to justify paving. If not then this is something that we should look into a year or two from now when demand increases and supply decreases.

Comment

Edmonton has worst things to deal with than unpaved parking

Some parking lots downtown are a disgrace, but making them paved will not clear up the problems. Parking lots will simply close up.

I park in a paved lot downtown and am moving at the end of this month because I am tired of complaining to the parking management company about people parking in the driving lanes. Does the company care? No, more cars equal more revenue and that is all it comes down to— money over good customer relations.

City Council will not take on parking companies.

Parking rates can (and will) increase and there will always be people willing to pay whatever the market will bear. Edmonton’s parking rates are cheap, cheap, cheap compared to other cities such as our sister to the south.

If unpaved parking lots are the worst this city has to deal with than we are pretty lucky.

I do not think it is. There are children who are abused, homelessness, food banks being stretched and victims of domestic violence being turned away from shelters. Parking (paving) seems trivial compared to these issues.

Comment

A similar issue I find more annoying and might be easier to solve, is the dirt on the roads around construction sites. Why can't there be some mandatory construction site washdown law? A little gravel around a downtown parking lot is one thing, but equipment exiting sites can track large amounts of mud over large distances. Look at 99st and 50st for example.

Comment

Lindsey I can agree with you on that. We can't do much in terms of paving the lots. The reason is that we cannot force owners to devleop their sites. But many lots are disappearing as we continue to build downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by WMelhem
                Lindsey I can agree with you on that. We can't do much in terms of paving the lots. The reason is that we cannot force owners to devleop their sites. But many lots are disappearing as we continue to build downtown.
                And as the number of lots continue to decrease and demand increase we will see a certain percentage of the downtown working population unable to afford parking. So instead of a lot filled with Sunfires and Civics with owners who don't really care about parking in mud and getting their vehicles dirty we will see more high end vehicles with owners who demand and will pay a premium, for clean parking.

Comment

Edmonton Sun, Kerry Diotte
                  October 23, 2007

Column Link:
                  http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Colu...3/4597977.html
                  I'm not big on meddlesome laws but shouldn't there be a bylaw in Edmonton requiring private retailers and landlords to keep their parking lots in decent repair? I've almost busted shocks on my vehicle trying to drive through the parking lots of some large malls and strip malls. The property owners might not care, but the stores that rent from such landlords should demand the lots be fixed - and customers should complain too. I hope the owners of the pothole-plagued Capilano Mall read this.
                  - 30 -

Comment

Originally posted by kerry diotte
                    Edmonton Sun, Kerry Diotte
                    October 23, 2007

Column Link:
                    http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Colu...3/4597977.html
                    I'm not big on meddlesome laws but shouldn't there be a bylaw in Edmonton requiring private retailers and landlords to keep their parking lots in decent repair? I've almost busted shocks on my vehicle trying to drive through the parking lots of some large malls and strip malls. The property owners might not care, but the stores that rent from such landlords should demand the lots be fixed - and customers should complain too. I hope the owners of the pothole-plagued Capilano Mall read this.
                    - 30 -
                    i love the first part - "i'm not big on meddlesome laws but..." it's so much like those conversations that start with "it's not the money but..." and you know darn well it is the money.

but putting that aside, the last part is totally correct - take note, complain, pass the word and stay away until it's fixed.

sort of like those downtown lots everyone complains about (to each other) but that are always full. they'll go away when we quit paying for them (and when we choose to pay more to park in the "expensive landscaped ones with no potholes" instead of the gravel rutted pothole plagued ones that are three dollars a day cheaper.
                    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

A muddy lot is a small price to pay when you consider that in most other major cities ( yes, Edmonton is a major city ) there is no way you will be able to park anywhere near to your workplace or for that matter at an affordable rate

Not to light a fuse BUT do you really need to drive your car to work or is this a convenience?
                      Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

INCENTIVES? Why go to the trouble. (That and incentives inevitably manifest themselves as distortions in the market, but that's another story.)

You just make it a condition of their required permits that the lot has to be paved. No permit, no pave, no parking. Simple.
                        [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline
                          A muddy lot is a small price to pay when you consider that in most other major cities ( yes, Edmonton is a major city ) there is no way you will be able to park anywhere near to your workplace or for that matter at an affordable rate

Not to light a fuse BUT do you really need to drive your car to work or is this a convenience?
                          I'll take up that fuse... Yes, some people DO need to drive to work depending on their professional job responsibilities.

I have meetings all over the city and at all times of the day and evening there is no way I could coordinate bus schedules. It is more than a convenience it is a necessity.

I acknowledge that those with strictly 9-5 everything is in their office type of jobs probably drive to work for convenience but not all.

Comment

[quote="djgirlI have meetings all over the city and at all times of the day and evening there is no way I could coordinate bus schedules. It is more than a convenience it is a necessity.[/quote]
                            Chicken and egg.

Comment

djgirl; I too am in the same boat.
                              I was trying to get to the regularly "officed" members of the forum
                              Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Working...
                              X