Hall D - recommendations, ideas, thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall D - recommendations, ideas, thoughts

Well, we have seen people asking to give Hall D a chance, a set of people ranting about the design, and some with a wait and see attitude, but already predisposed to be critical.

So then, we've identified the problem, how about solutions? I don't mean "flog people", or "blow it up" types of flippant comments, but real, honest, and attainable solutions.

So, take some of that energy and put it into changing this "mistake" - however, you translate that to be...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

My short, medium and long term fix is to find the $$ to take down this wall and make that whole section of Hall D as transparent as the main entrance to the facility immediately to the west.

All you have to do is look at the original entrance to see what your fix should look like. It's got all the right elements.

Anything else is just lipstick and rouge, and you can draw whatever images you want from that.

A major screw-up requires a major re-do, or else we're all just kidding ourselves and throwing money out the window.
    [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Comment

Originally posted by murman
      My short, medium and long term fix is to find the $$ to take down this wall and make that whole section of Hall D as transparent as the main entrance to the facility immediately to the west.

All you have to do is look at the original entrance to see what your fix should look like. It's got all the right elements.

Anything else is just lipstick and rouge, and you can draw whatever images you want from that.

A major screw-up requires a major re-do, or else we're all just kidding ourselves and throwing money out the window.

agreed...i just cannot understand, other than public pressure to reduce escalating costs, why this happened. And to those who were worried about costs....how about now being worried about being laughed at for the next 20-40 yrs because of the wonderful new back alley we just created.

I love the glass box, but apparently we were too short sighted to think outside the box, literally.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO
        I love the glass box, but apparently we were too short sighted to think outside the box, literally.
        amen
        President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

oh...i was suppose to post ideas.

-glass/steel overhang for shelter
          -much landscaping
          -perhaps heritage plaque montage about this areas historical sites et al.
          - how about some sort of light display, LED dynamic image type thing.
          -water element?

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

-much landscaping
            -perhaps heritage plaque montage about this areas historical sites et al.
            - how about some sort of light display, LED dynamic image type thing.
            -water element?
            How 'bout a "wall of shame", with pix of whomever approved this homage to penny-pinching gone bad?
            [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Comment

The original Convention Centre went way over budget, but look at the results. This definitely isn't an area to be cheap. More glass punched into the Jasper wall would help a LOT.
              LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

-much landscaping
                -water element?
                Yes, build a nice curving glass/steel overhang, cover up most of the wall with nice cedar or poplar trees, turn one section into a waterfall. Maybe use large sheets of art glass (the kind with many colors flowing all over) to cover up the block and back light it so it glows. Imagine large panels like this lite up at night

Comment

It would be nice to see at least one boutique shop or something squeezed between the wall and the sidewalk. I think that would do the most in hiding the wall. I also like the idea of using glass and other decorative features to mask the wall. This idea may be tacky but a portion of the wall could be used for advertising - something a little more splashy than billboard advertising.
                  Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Hmmmm... advertising. It could be tacky if done wrong, but what about a large jumbo tron or perhaps smaller LCDs would look better? Even LED light boards such as what Westmount centre uses might look kinda cool close to street level.

Comment

You nailed it Ikan104!
                      Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

A couple of ideas:

Raise Jasper Ave... the whole issue is that we lost the view and that the building should have been "flush" with the Avenue.

Turn it into a "Wall of Fame" where we celebrate Edmontonians

Make the roof accessible to people - build a patio/terrace so they can have an even better view that before.

Name the silly thing... Hall "D" has got to be the most unoriginal name ever!
                        Don't ever take investment advice from someone who is still working for a living!

Comment

Covert Infamy Partners

i just signed up here so i guess i missed the rant board but i clipped this from it

"With such a track record in Edmonton, can Cohos Evamy be trusted to do justice to the expansion of the Royal Alberta Museum, which they have been selected to do? Let's hope so."

is that all we're doing? Hoping that Covert Infamy will get The museum right? Doesn't anyone look at the plans in the design stage. All you need to do is look at http://www.cohos-evamy.com to see that this bunch hasn't had an original thought since Bankers Hall 1 in '89.

Fire them before its to late! Let them practice their trade in Calgary

Comment

That's a good point. Who is in charge of "accepting" the proposed design?

Will we as citizens have any input into the design? Will we be given the opportunity to see the design before it's too late?

Can it be vetoed if it sucks or do we have to live with whatever they come up with?

Comment

I would actually close it down and blow it up. The Edmonton Convention Centre was the first building I was in in Edmonton and it was sheer architectural genius. The genius of it is that there is an entire huge convention centre tucked under a tiny glass canopy entrance; in other words the genius of "Subtlety."

The addition as it is, is "subtle" in exactly the same way that Ralph Klein was "tactful" when he threw $70 at the homeless guy.

It is a disaster. Perhaps even worse than the Edmonton Space Sciences Centre. I had known about that building when I was a kid in Winnipeg and I always dreamed of seeing it. It used to look like a space ship; now it looks like a space ship towing a strip mall.

I have all my hopes pinned on the renovation of the Art Gallery, which promises to be spectacular if they follow through on it, and the Royal Alberta Museum, which has yet to be screwed up.
                              City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

Comment

Working...
                              X