City Wide Wireless Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Wide Wireless Internet

This story has gotten me thinking: Toronto Hydro assailed for city-wide WiFi plan

Is there a reason why Edmonton couldn't do something similar? I gotta be honest, my "Great Idea" is really a selfish one, but I have always dreamed of Edmonton having city wide wireless. Every time I go shopping, or looking for an address, or use my cell phone I think "if i had wireless internet these would be easier/better/cheaper".

Pros:
    • business/employee attraction tool
    • give broadband another bit of competition
    • improve city image
    • Other Pros?

Cons:
    • Expensive to maintain
    • Current broadband providers might have something to say about this...
    • Someone has to foot the bill..
    • Other Cons?

What does everyone think?

MOD EDIT...

I moved this here as I think this idea shouldn't get lost and needs to be re-introduced. Ceres and I can't win the contest, but this idea is a winner...
    Time to grow up.

I've wanted to do this for years....but again the range of wifi is the issue. Jsut how many routers/switches/bridges do you want to maintain is the question.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

You beat me to the post

That's what I get for being in class and meetings all day.

I think this is a great initiative and something we should do in conjunction with a broader campaign of pushing the hightech side of Edmonton.

There are a lot of cities doing it. We should at least look into it.
      LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
        I've wanted to do this for years....but again the range of wifi is the issue. Jsut how many routers/switches/bridges do you want to maintain is the question.
        Yes there is that and the question of whether or not this should be a public or private initiative. I'm no expert in this field but I can imagine that it might be quite an undertaking. I do believe (if done right) it could be really worth the effort.

I mean how many routers/switches/bridges do we need to maintain to service the number of people that would want something like this? My gut feeling is that I would be willing to pay $45-$55 per month for 3-7Mb connection to the internet from anywhere in the city. I dunno if that is reasonable but there it is.

Some more information about what it will take to get something like this up and running.
        Time to grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesC
          You beat me to the post

That's what I get for being in class and meetings all day.
          Probably the first and last time this will happen :P

Originally posted by MylesC
          I think this is a great initiative and something we should do in conjunction with a broader campaign of pushing the hightech side of Edmonton.

There are a lot of cities doing it. We should at least look into it.
          Yea.. I do agree. What would it take and who would we talk to get something like this to actually happen in this city? I might interested enough to maybe make it a pet issue, but I have no idea where to start.
          Time to grow up.

Comment

/\ I think we just started. PM me...

Comment

I hope this would mean that I would be able to take a laptop and sit by the edge of the river and surf the internet.

...that would be paradise!
              Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

That's EXACTLY what this means...

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasH
                  I hope this would mean that I would be able to take a laptop and sit by the edge of the river and surf the internet.

...that would be paradise!
                  That would be one of the great things. You could also do things like:
                  • instant message your friends/family to meet instead of SMS or calling them on cell phone
                  • do research or look up competing prices for any product you are looking at in store
                  • see which movies are good while you are waiting in line
                  • find an address on a map with directions
                  • access your whole music libarary while walking around downtown
                  • listen to the hockey/football game
                  • book tickets to an event while you are out

The possiblities seem endless for both personal and business uses. I hope I'm not wearing rose coloured glasses when it comes to this but it just seems to compelling to ignore. It really would be something if a "small" city like Edmonton started an initiative that only the largest cities in the world are just starting to consider.
                  Time to grow up.

Comment

gimmie, gimmie, gimmie!

Comment

As I said earlier, AWESOME idea. Even if just the downtown financial area were done for now as a test project it would be something. If it's successful, the project could be expanded.
                      LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

I think that Edmonton should do this. Colorado Springs where I live has done his and charges an access fee for the downtown core.

What if Edmonton opened this up to a bid. That way Telus, Rogers and whom ever else could bid for the chance to serve the city.

Comment

Link to lots of Boing Boing pieces on cities and WiFi

Comment

Just putting more fuel on the fire.

The country of Macedonia now has 95% Wi-Fi coverage. Ain't it great?
                            Time to grow up.

Comment

Show up at the steering committee meeting and make sure this is on the agenda,...

Comment

Working...
                              X