Reuse ideas for the old planetarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by armin View Post

PS: Thanks Tom, I saw you on tv. You got your point across well.
    Thanks Armin

Comment

hot little cocktail and music-stage venue
      Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Just one argument in favor of a resto...how successful is the Stanley Park Teahouse in Vancouver?
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^ Very.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
            Just one argument in favor of a resto...how successful is the Stanley Park Teahouse in Vancouver?
            Coronation Park is by no means comparable in terms of a destination that Stanley Park is.
            Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Would the city allow rezoning it to a restaurant with a patio? Isn't that why all our patios are next to major roads and bus lanes?

Comment

If they build the new velodrome in Coronation Park, maybe they can incorporate the planetarium into the plan.
                http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...439/story.html
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

the park from the air...

OK so how do I get photos to show up?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5487247238
                  Last edited by KC; 28-02-2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

^ Checked the link with the picture. It really is a very pretty park with scads of potential. There's no question it's underutilized. Some sort of destination with the planetarium would be a good idea.

Most of the traffic is probably generated by the Space Sciences Centre and it's obvious from this picture that it largely cuts off the park and isn't really that integrated with it.

Comment

I think the placement of the Space Science Centre was a shame since it obliterated some of the sidewalk. (Does anyone know anything about what it represented? See aerial photo link above.)

It's all a bit like one artist painting over another artist's work. But then, didn't Cardinal face the same thing when they slapped that addition onto the side of his work of 'art'. Seems so disrespectful.

http://www.djcarchitect.com/portfoli...ntonspace.html

Comment

Wow. Never new this existing. One of the drawbacks of not experiencing my childhood in Edmonton.

I can't see a restaurant or pub being even remotely successful in this location. It's just too remote.

An open stage concert venue would work. Same with repurposing it as a small type of museum or gallery.

How does the ownership of The Telus World of Science and this facility work? I don't understand why it hasn't been integrated into the Telus facilities in the past...

Comment

Bump...bring back the classic rock laser light shows to the Planetarium!

Comment

So I read the history of the planetarium and it's interesting. I'm also glad that the building is on the register for historic buildings which gives it some protection. One big question I have, why did it close?
                            LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

^ If you read the same history I did:
                              http://www.telusplanet.net/public/hg...P/history.html
                              - attendance fell
                              - only seated 65 people
                              - built swanky new TWOS next to it that served same purpose and much more

At the very least, I hope TWOS turns it into some kind of public use again. Looking at their long-term plans, I think they will but don't know what.

Comment

Originally posted by blainehamilton View Post
                                Wow. Never new this existing. One of the drawbacks of not experiencing my childhood in Edmonton.

I can't see a restaurant or pub being even remotely successful in this location. It's just too remote.

An open stage concert venue would work. Same with repurposing it as a small type of museum or gallery.

How does the ownership of The Telus World of Science and this facility work? I don't understand why it hasn't been integrated into the Telus facilities in the past...
                                In my view you've hit upon a common problem, the city putting its buildings like rec centres off the main streets. They need prime locations to draw people in and to show them off to the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X