Reuse ideas for the old planetarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reuse ideas for the old planetarium

The old planetarium is an architectural gem that is currently being used as a storage shed. Let's think of some good reuse possibilities.

Good ideas:
    Pub or restaurant
    Museum
    Music venue

Goofy idea:
    Bring back the old light shows with Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd music, for the sake of 70s campy nostalgia!

Photo courtesy of newfangled from his old "Junk or Jewel" thread:

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Holodeck.
    Turn the thing into a holographic theatre. It'd be neat personally.

http://www.musion.co.uk/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkOffj04xGA

First planetarium in Canada and it's trashed now. While Pink Floyd laser shows are retro, if you did a holographic display system on the ceiling, it'd allow designers to create interactive music shows which would be like laser light shows 2.0.

'It's so cool, you don't even need drugs to enjoy it'.

You'd have a great audience for something like that. It'd look like the roof at Hogwarts.
    Last edited by armin; 15-02-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Well Armin

For once you and I agree

Neat idea

Tom

Comment

how about use it as a planetarium?

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Where is this?
          He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Comment

^Coronation Park. It's the structure with the silvery roof and elliptical lawn in front of it.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...22423&t=h&z=16

Back in the days before IMAX, internet and video games this was probably one of the coolest virtual reality experiences for a kid.
            Last edited by norwoodguy; 16-02-2011, 08:25 AM.
            Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Move it to Fort Edmonton or - to the new Edmonton Airport Lands development site.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                That would be ideal given its historical significance. Perhaps it should be gifted to the UofA's astronomy department?

Comment

Resto-pub is my vote. As I noted on SSP, nothing of any character or ambience anywhere near here.

Planetarium is tempting but the Space Sciences Centre fills that bill and IIRC the world wasn't exactly beating a path to the QE's door when it was just that 3 decades ago.
                  Last edited by PJC; 16-02-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercucio View Post
                    Resto-pub is my vote. As I noted on SSP, nothing of any character or ambience anywhere near here.
                    If that is the case would anyone go out of their way to visit said Resto-pub?

Comment

Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
                      Originally posted by IanO View Post
                      That would be ideal given its historical significance. Perhaps it should be gifted to the UofA's astronomy department?
                      Or to the Catholic School Board / One Kingsway.

Comment

^^ The area could use a place with some character and ambience. It would not have a lot of competition. Also plenty of (free & convenient) parking on the north side of the Queen E.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercucio View Post
                          ^^ The area could use a place with some character and ambience. It would not have a lot of competition. Also plenty of (free & convenient) parking on the north side of the Queen E.
                          In my books the park is a form of ambience although not probably not of the sort that you have in mind. Not sure having the planetarium repurposed as a pub/resto necessarily adds to the ambience since it would be hidden inside the park.

Comment

^ Lots of room for a patio there which would take advantage of the park ambience - which I think is great BTW.

IMHO this park is underutilized (And always has been - I went to Shep in the70s. Other than Phys Ed at the tennis courts, don't remember ever using it, and I lived nearby.) and something like this would be a traffic builder.

However, not married to the pub/resto concept by any means.

Comment

I went to Shep for a year.

That area is greatly underused and has a lot of potential.
                              It's a good place to take a date. It's quiet, secluded, and during the summer, it's a nice little place to walk around.

The planetarium along with the observatory and the science centre would make a great little themed 'science' park.

The planetarium has a history but it's really outdated in comparison to the technology available now. It's such a great building though that seeing it run down is just depressing.

You could do so much fun stuff by incorporating a new visual display system. Turn it into a projection gallery for interactive media installations even. Do a cross collab with GMCC or NAIT or U of A. They all have animation departments.

How about a holographic projected planetarium where kids can look up and see crazy good animations to the stars, but then be able to physically interact with the display.
                              That would be fun.

PS: Thanks Tom, I saw you on tv. You got your point across well.

Comment

Working...
                              X