X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and the Mayor says: https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1886962

Comment

• Sounds good to me.
      They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

• Still waiting to find out who's gonna pick up the 9-figure price tag for the power plant in all of this...

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• 120-150 million is now the budget cost? Yikes, this was supposed to be an inexpensive way to connect downtown and Whyte. Still cheaper than a new LRT line and bridge, but man that's a lot of dough. And I also question why they've gone up to 5 stations. Are 2 really required in the Whyte area? They'll be 4 blocks apart.
          Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 29-01-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• I love the gondola idea but the KISS rule should apply. Commercial gondolas can be built in the mountains with similar lengths, capacity and enclosed cabins for $25m to $40m

I think that the plans have become to grandiose and I see no need to have more than on intermediate station.

This is losing my support quickly
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Just wait until you see the price of a ride...

Prairie Sky has identified an effective ticket price and this figure is reflected in the projections within the financial model. The chosen price is low in comparison to other successful cable car attractions in the region, is slightly higher in price than other Alberta attractions but well below what the high-priced attractions at West Edmonton Mall fetch.
              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Yeah, if they think that people are going to pay much more than a standard transit fare, they're kidding themselves. If I'm DT and want to get to Whyte, or vice versa, that's a $10-15 cab ride or uber directly from my door. Why would I pay similar for a gondola ride I have to walk 20 minutes to, and that would leave me blocks from my final destination?

Comment

• Or just take the bus, which is 2 minutes longer than their own projections...

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                    I think that the plans have become to grandiose and I see no need to have more than on intermediate station.
                    A station is required at every change in direction, so based on the route chosen, which looks like it was chosen to avoid flying over any buildings, they need the 3 intermediate stations. It appears that they believe that since you have to have a station to for directional changes why not have it be a boarding location.

Comment

• Originally posted by realkevbo View Post
                      A station is required at every change in direction, so based on the route chosen, which looks like it was chosen to avoid flying over any buildings, they need the 3 intermediate stations. It appears that they believe that since you have to have a station to for directional changes why not have it be a boarding location.
                      Depends on the manufacturer. Several systems have turns with no stations.
                      Here is a acute angle turn
                      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
                        I don't see any reason not to support this project when it's using private dollars. So far there hasn't been any asking of public money for it, so I'm unsure of why there's opposition at this point. If that changes, then I'd reevaluate whether I support it.
                        It sounds like the capital account is supposed to be initialized by private financing but it doesn't sound like they can or will cover major maintenance, replacement costs, or operating deficits.

Comment

• Originally posted by noodle View Post
                          Or just take the bus, which is 2 minutes longer than their own projections...

I use transit only in the city and I've never found the #7 route to be too inconvenient for me to visit friends or attend events in that area of Whyte Avenue. I wonder how many of the reviewers have ever taken this route:

Others Reviewing this Report●S. Padbury, Acting Deputy City Manager, Financial and Corporate Services●C. Owen, Deputy City Manager, Communications and Engagement●G. Cebryk, Deputy City Manager, City Operations●J. Meliefste, Acting Deputy City Manager, Integrated Infrastructure Services●K. Armstrong, Deputy City Manager, Employee Services●R. Smyth, Deputy City Manager, Citizen Services●B. Andriachuk, City Solicitor

Anybody who knows any of these people could calmly ask them if they've ever heard of the #7 bus.

Comment

Working...
                          X