• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
    Originally posted by KC View Post
    Put the Nordic spa in the plant
    This please and thank you.
    That would have been a no-brainer if the powerplant was still operating - free waste heat.
    Though with the electrical substation still there, cogeneration might still make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by noodle View Post
      Originally posted by kcantor View Post
      because if the power plant is a necessary part of some kind of limiting distance precluding other use, shouldn't epcor have kept it instead if giving it - and its liabilities - to the city?
      It's still EPCOR's.

The Rossdale Power Plant is owned by EPCOR Utilities Inc. As part of the River Crossing initiative, the City of Edmonton is working with EPCOR on a transfer of land in Rossdale that would see the power plant come into City ownership. This would be a step towards bringing new life to the power plant complex as part of a broader activation of this culturally and historically significant portion of the river valley.
      https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...t-history.aspx
      i thought that transaction/transfer had been completed.

apologies to you and the thread for being wrong.

as it's not done, i will be more than a little interested to see how - if? - that does get resolved
      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• I wasn't 100% sure on whether it had been done yet or not. I do know the City isn't being very cooperative when it comes to doing these land swaps lately.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Today we submitted our phase one feasibility report

to our friends at the City of Edmonton.

We hired the brightest minds in the urban gondola industry and collaborated with the City and its agencies. We all worked diligently to gather the facts, figures, and data that would inform a GO or a NO GO decision on our project.

The feasibility work was initiated to demonstrate the economic and technical viability of the project. We were prepared, should something catastrophic be uncovered by the experts, to pull the plug.

The approach to arriving at a GO or a NO GO decision alongside our stakeholders was important to our investors, as well as the City and our elected officials. We have been steadfast with our intent to move forward in a way that maximizes public benefit. To achieve this, each and every stakeholder needs to be presented with the straight goods.

I am a very optimistic ‘anything is possible’ person. I was the first person to invest in Prairie Sky at a time when we had no plan and no real insight into whether the project could actually work. I just believed in it. And, so did many others.

Both technically in terms of infrastructure, and economically in terms of private industry’s capacity to get this done right, our phase one feasibility report tells a compelling story. It’s a GO.

I can’t thank the individuals, companies, and public agencies that rolled up their sleeves to enable us enough. Without the level of engagement we had during the last six months I would be left wondering about the quality of our feasibility work. Luckily, I’m not worried at all.

Every morning when I get out of bed I am excited by the real possibility that Edmonton could beat Burnaby, BC and Toronto, ON and be the first major Canadian city to have an urban gondola. It is not a matter of ‘IF’ the infrastructure is coming to the urban setting, it is a simple matter who will get there first.

Today we have a robust plan and the capacity to execute. We also have the straight goods.

We are looking forward to continuing the discussion with the City and Mayor and Council on next steps.
          @PrairieSkyGondola

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post

We hired the brightest minds....

Yup.

This sounds to Top_Dawg like the grandpappy of all money pits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
              Originally posted by IanO View Post

We hired the brightest minds....

Yup.

This sounds to Top_Dawg like the grandpappy of all money pits.
              maybe if you spent more time paying attention to that end of anatomy instead of the other end it wouldn't sound like that?
              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Heads to the Urban Planning Committee for information on the 28th of January, 2020.

https://twitter.com/prairieskygondo/...93682262740992
                @prairieskygondo

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Gondola project going in front of Urban Planning Committee on Jan 28. http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/m...a&itemid=74004
                  My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

• The potential annual market of a city is the local population in a city plus the number of tourists. While not a perfect measure, it is a useful and tested method that displays consistent and predictable patterns. The potential annual market capture rates of other urban cable car systems located in cities throughout the world range from 6.8% to 25%. The average of the 19 comparable systems is 8.9%.

Three analyses were conducted to establish a ridership projection:
                    • Total Visits to Edmonton to calculate the Potential Annual Market
                    • Overnight Visits to Edmonton to calculate the Potential Annual Market
                    • Split the difference between the two and calculated the Potential Annual Market using 50% of the delta between Total Visits and Overnight Visits.

Capture rates of 5%, 7% and 9% were then applied. For the purposes of the Prairie Sky ridership analysis, a capture rate of 7% of the “50% of Delta” Potential Annual Market was used. From this analysis, Prairie Sky should anticipate 637,000 unique customers in its first year. Some of these customers will ride the system more than once during the year. It is expected that in its first year of operations, Prairie Sky will provide a total of 3,062,000 trips.
                    I'm disappointed. I expected a much more rigorous market assessment from Dialog and SCJ Alliance. Maybe that is all a "A Simplified Preliminary Economic and Technical Assessment" gets a person.

Based on these figures, if the wind doesn't exceed 60 km/h, with 360 days of operations, they need 1,770 riders a day over a 16- hour day, or about 111 riders per hour.

Comment

• The gondolas would need to average 8,500 passengers per day for the 3 million annual passengers. I think this is possible, but I think the numbers would probably be more like:
                      Winter (Nov-Mar): 140,000 (5,000/weekday + 10,000 Saturday)
                      Apr, May, Sept: 380,000 (7,500/weekday + 20,000 Sat)
                      June, July, August: 500,000 (10,000 weekday + 35,000 Sat/Hol)
                      "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                        The gondolas would need to average 8,500 passengers per day for the 3 million annual passengers. I think this is possible, but I think the numbers would probably be more like:
                        Winter (Nov-Mar): 140,000 (5,000/weekday + 10,000 Saturday)
                        Apr, May, Sept: 380,000 (7,500/weekday + 20,000 Sat)
                        June, July, August: 500,000 (10,000 weekday + 35,000 Sat/Hol)
                        Just curious, what are you basing your numbers on?
                        "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Comment

• I’m guessing that the gondola will largely be used during daylight hours. Also, the Strathcona and Downtown markets are popular on Saturdays.
                          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Who's gonna pay the $100M to get Rossdale up to snuff?

I'm also loving the armchair projections that show the gondola would be 1/3 as popular as the entire LRT line during the summer. (LRT has ~110K passengers on an average weekday, ~220K trips)

Pro tip: If you're gonna pull numbers outta your sphincter, check the existing numbers for actual transit before dropping your sloppy prognostication like a wet fart.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• I don't see any reason not to support this project when it's using private dollars. So far there hasn't been any asking of public money for it, so I'm unsure of why there's opposition at this point. If that changes, then I'd reevaluate whether I support it.
                              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

• Even if it's private dollars, if it craters, the public will be picking up the pieces. I'm in favor of this thing in principal, but it's naive to think that if it's privately funded there's no risk to the public, either because it fails or because of other public monies get thrown at surrounding projects that make little sense.

That being said, I'd trade the gondola for the funicular any day.

Comment

Working...
                                X