No announcement yet.

River Valley Gondola - Bridging the City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ The cry will go out to make this free, and let everybody ride the gondola. Either that, or some ***** will ride the outside, just like the back of the transit bus.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Yeah, that happens at the ski hill every day.

Wow, some people are reaching.
      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
        Sorry to bring up the privacy issue, but I can almost guarantee that there will be a group of residents that bring it up as a reason to oppose the gondola, whether it’s a valid reason or not. Personally, I’m excited by the possibility of taking this downtown once it’s built... or taking it home from downtown.
        I would ride it too. I know one of the proponents, and like me, he's invested his own capital heavily in many ventures to promote this city. I think people here need to take a breath and see where this ends up.
        President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
          Sorry to bring up the privacy issue, but I can almost guarantee that there will be a group of residents that bring it up as a reason to oppose the gondola, whether it’s a valid reason or not. Personally, I’m excited by the possibility of taking this downtown once it’s built... or taking it home from downtown.
          Which is very much recognized by the group behind this and there are various options available to combat that.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• On privacy, we’ve long had multi storey buildings, bridges and walkways enabling people to look down into yards. Plus there’s always been power line workers and meter-readers, etc. Now we also have drones as well.

Comment

• People also have curtains
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                I really wish C2E had a moderator.
                It seems the only moderation we get is around elections where the moderator randomly shows up and closes and opens dozens of threads, truncating conversations mid-stream with zero attempt to move posts in their context as required to new threads, effectively killing them all while declaring that they're doing so to help people not get "lost".

I realize it's a thankless task to moderate a board like this, but the actions taken over the last several weeks have made conversations harder to have and follow. Not easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                  ^ The cry will go out to make this free, and let everybody ride the gondola. Either that, or some ***** will ride the outside, just like the back of the transit bus.

I think it depends on the hours they run, and what they do at night. I'm more afraid of vandalism than someone wanting a free ride.
                  Animals are my passion.

Comment

• I think it should be hours similar to the funicular, with security at the north and south entrances.
                    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• https://maassets.higherlogic.com/ima...(2)_192807.jpg

Register
                      https://www.magnetmail.net/Actions/e...source=twitter

Agenda:
                      11:30 AM - Registration and Lunch
                      12:00 PM - Presentation by High Level Line and Prairie Sky Gondola

Stantec Tower, 4th Floor (10220 103 Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB T5J 0K4)

Edmonton’s river valley is both the beloved jewel of the city, and a gulf between the north and south. Two ambitious proposals are now seeking to bridge this divide from Downtown to Old Strathcona: in the east, a privately-funded gondola linking the two banks with the Rossdale area and powerplant; on the west edge, a re-imagining of the High Level Bridge as a corridor for multi-modal transportation and greenery.

Beyond transportation, what impact could these projects have for the neighbourhoods they would connect? Can they be catalysts for investment and redevelopment? A development industry panel weighs in.

High Level Line

www.highlevelline.com

High Level Line proposes a future where diverse neighbourhoods in central Edmonton are stitched together. Where Jasper Avenue and Whyte Avenue are connected and the experience between the two is so special that it makes us feel like tourists in our own city.

The Line has the ability to transform the urban fabric surrounding it. It stimulates the surrounding properties and enables a wide variety of uses: retail and residential frontages, dining, recreation, agriculture, celebration, people-watching and getting close to nature.

Prairie Sky Gondola

www.prairieskygondola.com

Prairie Sky is a privately held company that will provide a modern day transportation and recreation system to connect communities and empower city builders in urban Edmonton.

Speakers:
                      Kevin Dieterman, Chair, High Level Line
                      Gillian Thomson, Vice-Chair, High Level Line
                      David James, Treasurer, High Level Line
                      Michael Rivest, Director-at-Large, High Level Line

Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson, Co-CEO, Prairie Sky
                      Andrea Wheaton, Co-CEO, Prairie Sky

Panelists:
                      Laurie Scott, Vice President, Cameron Communities
                      Salima Kheraj, Principal, InHouse

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Interesting - in Burnaby they have approved "in principle" a gondola from SkyTrain to Simon Fraser University - albeit debating about whether they can cut over a neighborhood (given this is BC / NIMBY central, I am guessing they won't be able to).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...link-1.5152560

Last edited by downtownone; 28-05-2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Link to meeting minutes? What was decided?

Comment

• ^This was just a presentation. Nothing to decide.
                            My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

• Luckily, it was not operating at the time.

Sea to Sky gondola in Squamish closed after cable snaps
                              Almost all of the 30 gondola cars attached to the cable crashed to the ground around 4 a.m. on Saturday

The gondola, which wasn't operating at the time, normally carries up to 240 passengers at a time on its 30 cars. The trip from the base to the summit 885 metres above sea level lasts approximately 10 minutes and gives visitors views over Howe Sound.

Almost all of the 30 gondola cars attached to the cable crashed to the ground at around 4 a.m., according to staff working overnight. No injuries have been reported as a result of the incident.

"It's just an incredibly unusual thing to happen," said Kirby Brown, Sea to Sky's general manager. "We just did our maintenance on the line very recently and it was a big, thick, beautiful healthy rope."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ound-1.5242787

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                                Luckily, it was not operating at the time.

Sea to Sky gondola in Squamish closed after cable snaps
                                Almost all of the 30 gondola cars attached to the cable crashed to the ground around 4 a.m. on Saturday

The gondola, which wasn't operating at the time, normally carries up to 240 passengers at a time on its 30 cars. The trip from the base to the summit 885 metres above sea level lasts approximately 10 minutes and gives visitors views over Howe Sound.

Almost all of the 30 gondola cars attached to the cable crashed to the ground at around 4 a.m., according to staff working overnight. No injuries have been reported as a result of the incident.

"It's just an incredibly unusual thing to happen," said Kirby Brown, Sea to Sky's general manager. "We just did our maintenance on the line very recently and it was a big, thick, beautiful healthy rope."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ound-1.5242787

if it was operating at the time it wouldn't have happened:

"RCMP say they believe someone deliberately cut the cable of the Sea to Sky gondola located along Highway 99 in Squamish, B.C., felling the two-kilometre cable route early Saturday morning.

"We believe the cables were cut and this was a deliberate act of vandalism, " said Inspector Kara Triance with Squamish RCMP.

"At this time, it's a crime scene.""
                                "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X