This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Off Leash Dog Parks

Edmonton has many great off-leash dog parks. (This is a very dog friendly city!)

Here is a list of the River Valley Off Leash Sites

Description

Buena Vista Great Meadow
    north of Laurier Park and Buena Vista Dr., south of Melton Ravine (approx. 88 Ave.); excluding pedestrian bridge access trail, Yorath property and trail north to Mackenzie Ravine

This is a hot-air balloon site; please leash your dog when balloons launch.

Patricia Ravine
    granular hiking trail between Patricia Heights, Rio Terrace and Westridge from Whitemud Dr. to river

Dawson Bridge/Highlands hiking trail
    Dawson Park and granular trail on north side of Dawson Bridge to Capilano and 50 St. Bridges are on-leash

Hermitage Park North
    multi-use area in valley north of fishing pond and picnic area; 129 Ave. to 137 Ave., and 22 St. along river bank are off-leash where signed

Kennedale
    ravine west of 40 St, loop west to 47 St. and top of bank

Brander Gardens
    pipeline corridor; north of 58 Ave. between Brander Dr. and Whitemud Dr.

Terwillegar Park
    multi-use area; access via Rabbit Hill Rd.

Whitemud Park and Hawrelak Park hiking trail
    multi-use granular trail from Whitemud Park to footbridge, excluding old Keillor Rd. and designated equestrian trail

Capilano hiking trail
    Capilano Bridge, lower granular trail east to Hardisty Dr. and 56 St.

Gold Bar hiking trail
    Capilano amenity building north side, east along lower granular trail to Rundle footbridge; excluding shelter and picnic area

Jackie Parker Park
    Whitemud Dr. and 50 St. south of 44 Ave. entrance; excluding golf course

Mill Creek Ravine
    access from 68 Ave. and 93 St. (west side of Argyll Park) or north side of Argyll Park parking lot; only the granular trail along the bottom of ravine to Whyte (82) Ave. overpass is off-leash

Riverside hiking trail
    south bank granular trail from Low Level Bridge to Rafters Landing; from lower Forest Heights to east end of Rivreside Golf Course

Upper Mill Creek Ravine
    from 50 St. and 44 Ave. to 34 St. and 34 Ave.;
    granular trail only

Here is the City's link to other neighbourhood dog parks.

http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server...MODE=Published

Enjoy!

Edmonton Off Leash Parks

One thing for anyone who may not be aware, please be careful in the parks that have ravines... there is a growing number of urban coyotes in these areas and they have been feeding on people's pets... saddly there was an incident a few nights ago in the capilano area where they ganged up on an poor dog walking off leash... and all the city can do is post warning signs.

Comment

This is a good heads-up. Not just ravines, either - top of the river valley too. I saw a coyote along Saskatchewan Drive in Belgravia (south of 74th Avenue) a couple of weeks ago.
      Almost always open to debate...

Comment

Believe it or not, there's a woman in the Laurier Drive area that actively feeds the coyotes. Neighbours have been complaining to the city for years about it, but there's little the city can or will do, perhaps partially due to the fact that this person is married in to one of Edmonton's most prominent families. Several dogs in the area have been eaten or maimed by the coyotes that she attracts with her feeding.

Comment

Maybe the neighbors who are so upset about this should just go tell her off themselves. Just cause she's part of a "prominent" Edmonton family doesn't mean she can do anything to her neighbors.

Comment

Remember that the River Valley is a WILD Life habitat, use some sense when you and your poochie are out
            Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Yes, common sense should be used... Apparently common sense is something this woman in Laurier Heights from the "prominent" Edmonton family lacks.

Comment

Trust me, numerous people have taken her up on it. She's very old and "eccentric" to say the least.

Comment

Thanks for posting the list.

Now if all dog owners could just realize that ALL the other parks are ON leash parks! I am constantly informing / reporting people who use Rundle park as an off leash area. Yes the rule does apply to everyone even if you scoff or give me a dirty look - you are not above the bylaw, and your license plate is being recorded and reported.

Comment

^ This is a pet peeve of mine as well and notice it in my neighbourhood constantly.

Comment

^ stop being a dog hater.

As the owner of an extramly well trained dog, I can walk my pup off leash and you would swear she is on leash. To appease people like you I leave the leash attached and I just let go of it.
                      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

As the owner of an extramly well trained dog, Ican walk my pup off leash and you would never know it.
                        As an extremely good driver I can speed without causing accidents but the cops won't buy my argument when they go to ticket me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ins View Post
                          Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

As the owner of an extramly well trained dog, Ican walk my pup off leash and you would never know it.
                          As an extremely good driver I can speed without causing accidents but the cops won't buy my argument when they go to ticket me.
                          If your gonna quote me please quote all of me.

My dog is on a leash.. I just don't use it.
                          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

^ So basically, what you're saying is that you're somehow special and above the law? Or that the bylaw doesn't apply to you because your dog is well-trained?
                            Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Sorry EDP the last sentence wasn't in your post when I quoted it.

Comment

Working...
                              X