Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edmonton Grads - suitable commemorative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Grads - suitable commemorative?

Your thoughts please. Has Edmonton suitably commemorated the Edmonton Grads?

If not, what would you expect, what would you like to see?

Nursing grads? NAIT Grads? High school Grads? Kindergarden grads?

Heck, why don't we commerate people who got divorced while we are at it?

Or do you mean the womens basketball team?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Grads

As nice a story as that is, I'd rather focus on things a bit more contemporary.

Comment

From Moa's link to the Edmonton Grads...

The Grads disbanded in 1940 after the outbreak of the Second World War. At that time, the team held 108 local, provincial, national and international titles and had been the undisputed world champions for 17 years in a row. Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, called the Grads the "finest basketball team that ever stepped out on a floor."(Hall, p. x)
      What an amazing record!

What a great inspiration for young athletes of both sexes.

Sure they should be celebrated and much more publicly
      a) To show young people what can be achieved
      b) Show Edmonton is about more than Hockey

History as much about inspiring the future as it is about celebrating the past.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

If they were an American team, there would have been a movie made about them.
        Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
          Nursing grads? NAIT Grads? High school Grads? Kindergarden grads?

Heck, why don't we commerate people who got divorced while we are at it?

Or do you mean the womens basketball team?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Grads

As nice a story as that is, I'd rather focus on things a bit more contemporary.
          W-O-W. I must have missed the subtle irony (or something) intended in this post.

Diss the only Canadian basketball team ever to have been Olympic champions (1936), albeit in what was then a demonstration sport?

Coached by J Percy Page?

Perhaps you could provide specifics of things more contemporary, not already well honoured that we have missed that are more worthy?

As mentioned, I'm sure there was some comedy or irony that I just missed in your post
          ... gobsmacked

Comment

Shouldn't this thread be in the Great Ideas section? Or is the OP already admitting this isn't a Great Idea?
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
              Shouldn't this thread be in the Great Ideas section? Or is the OP already admitting this isn't a Great Idea?
              It's a very interesting mind you have there.
              Last edited by KC; 21-05-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

A basketball tournament in their honour seems appropriate: Edmonton Grads International

Comment

Originally posted by McBoo View Post
                  Diss the only Canadian basketball team ever to have been Olympic champions (1936), albeit in what was then a demonstration sport?
                  I actually didn't know what the thread was about, it was very vague - I still aren't certain KC meant the basketball team. It seems most other people didn't either (the thread sat here at a post of one for a bit). I did a search, and found out about the basketball team. I wasn't dising them (as opposed to the lack of clarity as to what the thread was about). I do though wonder whether this makes sense to commerate now, presumably there have been various such in the past, but sure, its interesting.
                  Last edited by moahunter; 21-05-2014, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajs View Post
                    A basketball tournament in their honour seems appropriate: Edmonton Grads International
                    That's really interesting. I don't follow basketball and had no idea that there was such an event. Is it an annual competition?

Comment

Couldn't tell you. I was on the Basketball Canada site buying tickets for it and saw the name on the poster. I'm trying to remember if the Journal referred to it as such when they wrote about the Brazilians coming to town.

Comment

In the day, the Edmonton Grads were legendary, and not just hereabouts. Their record, including against the best American teams was something, yes to this very day to behold. James Naismith himself acknowledged the Grads.

Crowds of over 5,000 at the Edmonton Gardens to watch the Grads were not unusual. They were even more popular than hockey. And they're in the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame (in Red Deer).

But that's not even half the story. They were embraced by fans as the Edmonton Grads, but in fact were the McDougall High School "Commercial Grads," girls streamed to be secretaries, but in whom J. Percy Page found something else - a competitive fire.

He did one more thing - I have a relative who was a Grad - J. Percy taught his team - the best ever women's basketball team - one of the best ever men's or women's - that the most important thing was sportsmanship. He taught citizenship over winning.

They won, and won, and kept on winning and those still alive are to this day outstanding citizens. If any team deserves recognition -the Grads do - not just for what they won - but for the people J. Percy demanded they be.
                        Last edited by McBoo; 21-05-2014, 11:06 PM.
                        ... gobsmacked

Comment

Nice write up 'Boo. I hate basketball but appreciate the Grads, I remember first reading about them as a youngster and was floored. Mind you, this was the mid 80s in Edmonton...
                          Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

There is a small park named after them in Westmount with a plaque and history.

https://goo.gl/maps/Hgkdd

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

That memorial is in baaaad shape. But the location is good. I haven't read it but here's a title from u of a press: http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?lid=41&bookid=899

Comment

Working...
                              X