Commercial Flight Paths Over Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Flight Paths Over Edmonton

Does anybody know where I could find a map of commercial flight paths over Edmonton? I've been searching online but can't find anything.

Try http://www.navcanada.ca/NavCanada.as...ts\default.xml

Or, maybe you already have, but Edmonton is a big Nav Canada centre for a huge swath of airspace - so somewhere, somehow, they probably have something that will be useful to you.

Good luck
    ... gobsmacked

Comment

Ya, I did browse the navcan website but couldn't find what I was looking for. I did find a cool pdf with all the Canadian airport maps though.
      Airport Maps 31 MB.

That link you provided seems to only give me maps of the various air spaces but no actual flight paths.

Comment

Originally posted by IKAN104 View Post
        That link you provided seems to only give me maps of the various air spaces but no actual flight paths.
        Those are the correct links - if you view the "sample chart" PDF you can see all the air routes between various navigation points. You have to purchase maps if you want them.

However, to back up a bit - is this what you are looking for? What do you mean by "commercial flight paths over Edmonton" - are you talking about aircraft at altitude passing over the city (eg Polar routes overflying the Province / city, etc), or commercial traffic departing / arriving at YEG? Two very different scenarios.

Comment

I mean flights over Edmonton, not necessarily landing at or departing from YEG.

Let me check that link again...

Comment

Oh, I do see flights on that sample map. But what does it all mean? I'm no pilot so I need some kind of legend to explain the numbers and stuff.

What I'd like to know is the flights I see passing over my neighbourhood every day, high in the sky, what is the origin and destination, type of plane and (if possible) the airline.

Comment

What I'd like to know is the flights I see passing over my neighbourhood every day, high in the sky, what is the origin and destination, type of plane and (if possible) the airline.
              If that's what you are interested in, the next best thing to sitting next to a controller on a radar screen is getting yourself a high quality live flight tracker for your computer, eg.

http://flightaware.com/

It's always a few minutes behind but the closest you can get to having that info in real time.

Comment

Con Trail watcher are we ?
                Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

I sas gassing up at 7-Eleven yesterday (or was it the day before?) and saw a strange combination of con trails. I frequently see one contrail in this same path (although I never noticed the turn before) but this time there were two. Both were four engined planes. One followed the other by about 20 seconds and both made a turn in the same direction. That seemed odd to me and got me curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Chump View Post
                    If that's what you are interested in, the next best thing to sitting next to a controller on a radar screen is getting yourself a high quality live flight tracker for your computer, eg.

http://flightaware.com/

It's always a few minutes behind but the closest you can get to having that info in real time.
                    Wow, that's cool. Check this out.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport_...t?airport=CYEG

Comment

IKAN...

...if you are looking for the Jetways/Airways, call Jeppesen...you'll have to pay though.

...they haven't changed much over the years, so the aviation museum should have something there from the 1990's. Outside of RNAV points, the basic jetway to Vancouver from Edmonton (for example) hasn't changed...arrival and departure paths are pretty much the same as well...different names.

The path you saw in the photos has been the northern route for some time now...usually flights to the Pacific NorthWest(and depending on winds etc, LAX/SFO) from Europe. If I am not mistaken, the turn is still the YEG VOR...onto the outbound radial...then they line up to the next one - Princeton or Enderby...or another in the US for more southerly routes...

...also, don't forget that NATO/NORAD/CanFor/USAF planes use this route as well...it is a fairly common sight...and many are 4 engined specials going to the same destination...a minute or so apart..
                      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

I think the Grade 4 translation is planes over-flying a city cross over the airfield at midfield. That way they're never going to hit someone landing or taking off.

Disclaimer: I quit flying school right about the chapter on vectors.......
                        ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by McBoo View Post
                          I think the Grade 4 translation is planes over-flying a city cross over the airfield at midfield. That way they're never going to hit someone landing or taking off.

Disclaimer: I quit flying school right about the chapter on vectors.......
                          I think he's interested in aircraft flying at altitudes slightly higher than say circuit height

Comment

I sas gassing up at 7-Eleven yesterday (or was it the day before?) and saw a strange combination of con trails. I frequently see one contrail in this same path (although I never noticed the turn before) but this time there were two. Both were four engined planes. One followed the other by about 20 seconds and both made a turn in the same direction. That seemed odd to me and got me curious.
                            High level routes are like streets in the sky. Everyone follows the same path, turn at the same point, etc, give or take (altitudes will vary). It just so happened that two aircraft were in reasonable proximity that time, travelling in the same direction. It happens a lot actually.

[nerd comment] Since you're into this - pull out a good set of binoculars or a good telephoto camera lens and try to ID the aircraft / airline from below. It is sometimes possible [/nerd comment]
                            Last edited by Chump; 23-02-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the explanations everyone. I appreciate that. I think I do have a pair of binoculars laying around somewhere, but of course never handy when you need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X