Capilano historical mansion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capilano historical mansion?

Can anyone tell me the name and history of the historical mansion in Capilano (i think it's Capilano)? It's on 106 Ave at 45st. Google maps shows a pool, tennis court, a large main building and a secondary house in the back. Biking by it today, it's surrounded by houses from a completely (newer) era. Looks to be close to 5 acres of lush grounds.

More in the Gold Bar area. My guess is that it is an old established farm. We used to venture over there as kids and look in awe. In the ravine below was (is?) a natural spring where we quenched our thirst on those hot afternoons when we went exploring. IIRC, there were reminants of a water trough for cattle that led me to believe that it was an old farm.
    Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far / shine on you crazy diamond

Comment

I'm from Ottewell, within easy biking distance of Gold Bar/Capilano, so I know the place you're talking about. I once asked an old-timer about the house, and she actually told me the name of the family that had lived there. Not sure if the same people would be there now.

I should say that I also once asked another older person about who lived there, and he gave me a different name. So who knows.

Comment

Its know as Gold Bar Farm.. as a kid we always went there at halloween as they allways gave a can of pop and a full choco bar. Its a nice house up close! No idea who owns it!

Comment

Originally posted by danby View Post
          Its know as Gold Bar Farm.. as a kid we always went there at halloween as they allways gave a can of pop and a full choco bar. Its a nice house up close! No idea who owns it!
          I've never been inside the gates. Is it really a farm in any meaningful sense? If so, what type of farming seems to take place there?

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post
            Originally posted by danby View Post
            I've never been inside the gates. Is it really a farm in any meaningful sense? If so, what type of farming seems to take place there?
            it may have been part of a farm. but it's more like an english manor now. looks like it would belong on ada blvd or in old glenora.

Comment

Here's a link on Google Maps for those interested:
              http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06078&t=h&z=18

Looks nice!
              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by soycd View Post
                More in the Gold Bar area. My guess is that it is an old established farm. We used to venture over there as kids and look in awe. In the ravine below was (is?) a natural spring where we quenched our thirst on those hot afternoons when we went exploring. IIRC, there were reminants of a water trough for cattle that led me to believe that it was an old farm.

The spring is a fair distance away from this 'farm'. The spring is still there as of this May, the trough has been pulled out. I beleive the sign that the water might not be safe to drink is gone. To find the spring - form the feildhouse in Goldbar park look south there are two spruce trees on the edge of the treeline that form an entrance to the pathways go through the two trees and follow the path up the bank about 200?? feet.....the path is quite well used and open, can't miss the spring on the right hand side.

Comment

I'll have to drive by and take a look next time I'm out that way. Seems oddly out of place in that location.
                  "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

I don't think you can see anything but trees from the road. There's a big gate that is usually closed, but other than that, there's really nothing to see. Maybe you can catch a glimpse from where this spring is located, but definitely not from the south side of the property.

Comment

As far as Top_Dawg recalls, Gold Bar Farms serves as the Edmonton residence to Marc de la Bruyere and his wife. De la Bruyere along with Alistair Mactaggart are both the second generation owners of Maclab Enterprises which was started up by their fathers.

Although it is their residence it is likely occupied only by staffers most of the time. De la Bruyere's wife, whose name escapes Top_Dawg at the moment, is a author of significant accomplishment and she is often invited by universities stateside and abroad to be their writer-in-residence. However it is said that when she is writing, she likes to return to Gold Bar Farm as the peace and serenity help her concentrate on her work.

Needless to say they are influential people but prefer to remain quiet and low key.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
                        As far as Top_Dawg recalls, Gold Bar Farms serves as the Edmonton residence to Marc de la Bruyere and his wife. De la Bruyere along with Alistair Mactaggart are both the second generation owners of Maclab Enterprises which was started up by their fathers.

Although it is their residence it is likely occupied only by staffers most of the time. De la Bruyere's wife, whose name escapes Top_Dawg at the moment, is a author of significant accomplishment and she is often invited by universities stateside and abroad to be their writer-in-residence. However it is said that when she is writing, she likes to return to Gold Bar Farm as the peace and serenity help her concentrate on her work.

Needless to say they are influential people but prefer to remain quiet and low key.
                        Stacy Madeleine Schiff is the wife.

Surely a house like this must be on the city's historical register? I don't know when it was built...I'm guessing some time between the '20s and '40s?

Comment

If they are the owners here's the best article I could find online detailing their lives.
                          http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/14/st...itor-weds.html

Comment

Very interesting and every time I'm by there I've wondered who owns this home but did not know who to ask. It appears to be a massive property and I'm sure would be one of the more expensive places if it ever were to go on sale.

As for the springs - I too recall drinking from there as a kid and as recently as a month ago tried to find the springs but had no luck. I see someone posted upthread that it is still there so I'll have to try to locate it again. I do recall that there was a sign stating not to drink the water but I remember lots of people ignoring those signs.

Comment

S
                              linc short legal title number
                              0010 346 708 3002ks;68;14 932 310 926

legal description
                              plan 3002ks
                              block 68
                              lot 14
                              excepting thereout all mines and minerals
                              area: 2.73 hectares (6.75 acres) more or less

estate: Fee simple

municipality: City of edmonton

reference number: 892 099 768

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              registered owner(s)
                              registration date(dmy) document type value consideration
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

932 310 926 08/10/1993 affidavit of
                              surviving joint
                              tenant

Comment

Working...
                              X