Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Michael Bloomberg becomes President?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the impact of debates are fairly overstated, although sometimes particular moments can have a big impact. I would agree though, that Sanders in 2016 probably would have beaten Trump, because he was also seen as a disruptive candidate and polls showed he was quite popular in the rust belt states. And to be clear, I'm not saying Biden is anything great either. He should have listened to Obama and not tried running again, which would potentially have allowed other candidates to stake out the middle/centrist ground. Instead, with Biden standing in the middle, most of the rest of the candidates have run to the extremes, and that's left a very weak field of candidates in my opinion.

If you'd asked me a year ago I would have considered Warren at least an interesting candidate. But she's really blown it, especially with the "medicare for all but I can't tell you how I'll pay for it and I'm going to take away private insurance and their own doctors from 160 million people who don't want it taken away and I'll just pretend that shutting down 10% of the US economy overnight won't precipitate a crisis or unrest" plan.

And that's the problem, really. She knows that even if she did win the election and the Democrats managed a majority in both the House and Senate that medicare for all has no hope of making it through the US political system in one fell swoop. She's catering to the hardcore, motivated left of the Democratic party to win the nomination. Which is exactly what I was talking about when I said that the selection process in the US for presidential candidates is fundamentally flawed.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 29-11-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mla View Post
      Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
      Originally posted by Mla View Post
      Originally posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
      Although two senile old men yelling at each other would be highly entertaining, I think it would guarentee a trump win. I don't think he's quick enough on his feet or level headed enough to come out looking good responding to trumps emotionally charged, anecdotal, hyperbolic, and unfactual debate tactics. Plus I think he's out of touch with about half of the democratic base, recently calling weed a gateway drug.
      Agreed. I honestly think Warren or Sanders would stand a better chance against Trump. Biden is definitely out of touch and he’s starting to lose his mental faculties for sure
      How is Sanders not also a "senile old man"? He's a year older than Biden. He just had a heart attack as well, so there are legitimate concerns about whether he's healthy enough to be commander in chief. Warren will get destroyed by Trump in the rust belt states and lose the electoral college, even if she wins the popular vote.
      I’ve watched all the primary debates and it’s just my subjective opinion but Sanders performs much better than Biden. He seems to be much sharper mentally. Biden suffers from more than just a stutter, he goes off on wild tangents, much like Trump does, and he gets flustered easily. I just don’t think Biden would do well in a one on one debate with Trump due to Trump’s ability to hurl insults. I think Biden would get flustered and make a fool of himself.

Not to mention I just don’t think Biden’s policy proposals are that great. We have to ask ourselves, “why did Americans vote for Trump in the first place?” Obviously they wanted change, they weren’t happy with the status quo and the state of their country. The Democrats put up Clinton (basically a personal embodiment of the status quo) and Americans decided to go with Trump (aka something new, something different). Now Democrats want to put up Biden (basically the male version of Hillary Clinton) vs Trump. What makes us think the result is going to be any different? Establishment vs populist didn’t work last time, there’s nothing to suggest it’ll work this time. Sanders is the left’s version of a populist. I think he stands a better chance... just my opinion
      I think Biden and Sanders just have different styles - Biden is more generalities, Sanders is more focused on certain policies (and not on others). However, I think some of Sanders (and Warren's - who is also focused on certain policies) ideas are a bit off putting to mainstream voters. It would be better if one of the major contenders was under 70 and having a heart condition sure doesn't inspire my confidence. Who knows - I suppose they could turn out to be like Jimmy Carter who is still going into his 90's, but even he said its really a job best suited for someone younger.

Comment

What is missing from this thread is thinking about what the swing voter wants.

Short answer: jobs, not welfare checks

Trump has built a dedicated vote base because he understands this. Think about why his approval rating has not blipped despite all the controversies and his trade war and tariffs that on the surface creates more problems for the Americans. This dedicated base have also forced the rest of Republicans to toe in line behind Trump.

Sanders has a similarly dedicated base. However his policies is not what that swing voter is looking for. Sanders (and Warren and Yang) basically advocate wealth redistribution. Tax the billionaire. This resonates with white, liberal, educated voter in California. But low skilled, high school degree, blue collar in Michigan and Ohio and Wisconsin don’t want a welfare state. They still believe in an American dream.

BTW, mayor Pete’s odds of getting the democratic candidacy is rising: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-sanders-biden

Comment

You mean like the American dream where farm bankruptcies are up because Trump believes that trade wars are good and easy to win? The bailout of the farmers, which replaces just a fraction of lost income, is now multiple times bigger than the auto bailout. And the automakers paid back what they borrowed. The farmers don't have to. So it's literally a handout.

Comment

^ thanks for proving my point. Farmers continue to support Trump!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...rade-wars-bite

https://www.voanews.com/usa/us-polit...ack-trump-2020

https://www.agriculture.com/news/bus...-support-trump

Comment

Originally posted by Snail View Post
              What is missing from this thread is thinking about what the swing voter wants.

Short answer: jobs, not welfare checks

Trump has built a dedicated vote base because he understands this. Think about why his approval rating has not blipped despite all the controversies and his trade war and tariffs that on the surface creates more problems for the Americans. This dedicated base have also forced the rest of Republicans to toe in line behind Trump.

Sanders has a similarly dedicated base. However his policies is not what that swing voter is looking for. Sanders (and Warren and Yang) basically advocate wealth redistribution. Tax the billionaire. This resonates with white, liberal, educated voter in California. But low skilled, high school degree, blue collar in Michigan and Ohio and Wisconsin don’t want a welfare state. They still believe in an American dream.

BTW, mayor Pete’s odds of getting the democratic candidacy is rising: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-sanders-biden
              I don’t mind Buttigieg but he’s so unpopular with Black voters, I’ll be surprised if he makes it out of Super Tuesday with many delegates

Comment

Working...
              X