Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Michael Bloomberg becomes President?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What if Michael Bloomberg becomes President?

    Any thoughts on a Bloomberg win and consequences for Canada or for Alberta?




    What can we expect from Bloomberg on climate change? | TheHill
    https://thehill.com/changing-america...e-bloomberg-on


    Michael Bloomberg’s Right-Wing Views on Foreign Policy Make Him a Perfect Candidate for the Republican Nomination
    Mehdi Hasan, November 25 2019
    https://theintercept.com/2019/11/25/...an-nomination/

    Let’s Talk About That Time Mike Bloomberg Blamed Congress for the Financial Crisis
    By JORDAN WEISSMANN
    NOV 26, 201910:48 AM
    NORFOLK, VA - NOVEMBER 25: Newly announced Democratic presidential candidate, former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg speaks during a press conference to discuss his presidential run on November 25, 2019 in Norfolk, Virginia. The 77-year old Bloomberg joins an already crowded Democratic field and is presenting himself as a moderate and pragmatic option in contrast to the current Democratic Party's increasingly leftward tilt. In recent years, Bloomberg has used some of his vast personal fortune to push for stronger gun safety laws and action on climate change. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)


    Michael Bloomberg, who is now officially running for president, has always presented himself as a moderate, data-driven problem solver, a guy far less interested in ideology than numbers and results. To see how that image doesn’t always mesh with reality, though, it’s useful to revisit some of his more notorious comments about what brought on the Great Recession.
    ...

    “ The 2008 financial crisis was the single most important economic event of this century—and possibly since the Great Depression. The fact that Bloomberg embraced a discredited right-wing explanation of it should badly undercut the idea that he’s a careful, numbers-driven technocrat. Even if he’s changed his mind now, as he says he has over stop-and-frisk, how do we know he won’t make the same mistake again? ”

    https://slate.com/business/2019/11/m...ll-street.html


    A ‘Fixer’ or a ‘Bully’: New Yorkers Have Opinions on Bloomberg as Mayor
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/12/r...york-city.html
    Last edited by KC; 26-11-2019, 05:39 PM.

  • #2
    Should maybe have broadened this thread to include other billionaires. Found this on Steyer’s Wikipedia page. (Not worth another thread - yet):


    Tom Steyer - Wikipedia


    2012 Edit
    In 2012, Steyer hosted a fundraiser at his home for President Obama. At a private meeting, Steyer, along with fifteen other top donors, reportedly pressed the president regarding the Keystone pipeline, which Steyer opposed. Obama was said to be supportive of Steyer's views, but reluctant to put his full weight behind any initiatives without better proof. Steyer was critical of Obama's decision to keep an energy initiative as a low priority.[53]”

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Steyer

    Bolding mine

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't quite get all the talk about Mike Bloomberg's candidacy. At the moment, he's at 2% in polls that have a 3 point margin-of-error. So he's pretty much tied with all of us.
      - Mark Evanier

      Comment


      • #4
        Excellent! Thanks for posting. (I wish we had a quote like that starting off the old Trump thread.)

        And, the guy’s got a point, it’s not like it’s up to the general talking public to decide. The two big tribes decide on who the public gets to vote among.

        Comment


        • #5
          The Democrats need to chose a moderate/centrist if they want to give themselves the best chance of beating Trump. Biden might do okay and he does well in rust-belt states, so he's probably the best bet at this point, although I'm not a fan. Sanders and Warren will probably get pasted by Trump as socialists bent on destroying America, whether that's unfair or not. I don't see Bloomberg being that candidate, given his checkered past on things like street checks and antipathy from racialized communities. And does the US really want another plutocrat President, even if Bloomberg is legitimate?

          I thought this was a well done piece: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...lew-it/602716/

          The Democrats are well on their way to shooting themselves in the foot or kneecapping themselves in the election if they choose a candidate based on ideological purity and not pragmatism. The way both parties pick candidates really isn't healthy for democracy, as it results in candidates running to extremes during the primaries.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
            The Democrats need to chose a moderate/centrist if they want to give themselves the best chance of beating Trump. Biden might do okay and he does well in rust-belt states, so he's probably the best bet at this point, although I'm not a fan. Sanders and Warren will probably get pasted by Trump as socialists bent on destroying America, whether that's unfair or not. I don't see Bloomberg being that candidate, given his checkered past on things like street checks and antipathy from racialized communities. And does the US really want another plutocrat President, even if Bloomberg is legitimate?

            I thought this was a well done piece: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...lew-it/602716/

            The Democrats are well on their way to shooting themselves in the foot or kneecapping themselves in the election if they choose a candidate based on ideological purity and not pragmatism. The way both parties pick candidates really isn't healthy for democracy, as it results in candidates running to extremes during the primaries.
            Biden is the safest choice to win and would return things to the status quo, even if that's not ideal. Way better than the current solution. I don't think Sanders has a chance. Warren has some ideas that I think would be good for the American people (even if they don't realize it), but there's no way she wins the election. Mayor Pete is the dark horse. He's got the same well spoken, educated tone as Obama had. Policies are pretty centrist. He just doesn't poll well in some demographics. Maybe a Biden/Buttiegeg ticket is the way to go.

            Comment


            • #7
              I also wonder what the impact of Buttigieg's sexuality would have on the working class white demographic that the Democrats desperately need to shift back towards them in order to beat Trump.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                I also wonder what the impact of Buttigieg's sexuality would have on the working class white demographic that the Democrats desperately need to shift back towards them in order to beat Trump.
                Wondered that myself too. He is pretty religious, far more than the current guy, so maybe that's a balance? I wonder where Married Gay Guy fits in the hierarchy of the working class white american vis a vis Married Black Guy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Biden will get torn apart if he’s the nominee

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Although two senile old men yelling at each other would be highly entertaining, I think it would guarentee a trump win. I don't think he's quick enough on his feet or level headed enough to come out looking good responding to trumps emotionally charged, anecdotal, hyperbolic, and unfactual debate tactics. Plus I think he's out of touch with about half of the democratic base, recently calling weed a gateway drug.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
                      Although two senile old men yelling at each other would be highly entertaining, I think it would guarentee a trump win. I don't think he's quick enough on his feet or level headed enough to come out looking good responding to trumps emotionally charged, anecdotal, hyperbolic, and unfactual debate tactics. Plus I think he's out of touch with about half of the democratic base, recently calling weed a gateway drug.
                      Agreed. I honestly think Warren or Sanders would stand a better chance against Trump. Biden is definitely out of touch and he’s starting to lose his mental faculties for sure

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mla View Post
                        Biden is definitely out of touch and he’s starting to lose his mental faculties for sure
                        He's not losing his mental faculties. He's had a stutter since he was a child. It shows up in his speech and talking as pauses and confusion that some media play up as 'losing it'. He'd do well to own it.
                        Sanders would not do well against trump. Most think him too socialist.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mla View Post
                          Originally posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
                          Although two senile old men yelling at each other would be highly entertaining, I think it would guarentee a trump win. I don't think he's quick enough on his feet or level headed enough to come out looking good responding to trumps emotionally charged, anecdotal, hyperbolic, and unfactual debate tactics. Plus I think he's out of touch with about half of the democratic base, recently calling weed a gateway drug.
                          Agreed. I honestly think Warren or Sanders would stand a better chance against Trump. Biden is definitely out of touch and he’s starting to lose his mental faculties for sure
                          How is Sanders not also a "senile old man"? He's a year older than Biden. He just had a heart attack as well, so there are legitimate concerns about whether he's healthy enough to be commander in chief. Warren will get destroyed by Trump in the rust belt states and lose the electoral college, even if she wins the popular vote.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Biden, Bloomberg and Biden are very stable geniuses compared to the lying narcissist in the WH
                            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                              Originally posted by Mla View Post
                              Originally posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
                              Although two senile old men yelling at each other would be highly entertaining, I think it would guarentee a trump win. I don't think he's quick enough on his feet or level headed enough to come out looking good responding to trumps emotionally charged, anecdotal, hyperbolic, and unfactual debate tactics. Plus I think he's out of touch with about half of the democratic base, recently calling weed a gateway drug.
                              Agreed. I honestly think Warren or Sanders would stand a better chance against Trump. Biden is definitely out of touch and he’s starting to lose his mental faculties for sure
                              How is Sanders not also a "senile old man"? He's a year older than Biden. He just had a heart attack as well, so there are legitimate concerns about whether he's healthy enough to be commander in chief. Warren will get destroyed by Trump in the rust belt states and lose the electoral college, even if she wins the popular vote.
                              I’ve watched all the primary debates and it’s just my subjective opinion but Sanders performs much better than Biden. He seems to be much sharper mentally. Biden suffers from more than just a stutter, he goes off on wild tangents, much like Trump does, and he gets flustered easily. I just don’t think Biden would do well in a one on one debate with Trump due to Trump’s ability to hurl insults. I think Biden would get flustered and make a fool of himself.

                              Not to mention I just don’t think Biden’s policy proposals are that great. We have to ask ourselves, “why did Americans vote for Trump in the first place?” Obviously they wanted change, they weren’t happy with the status quo and the state of their country. The Democrats put up Clinton (basically a personal embodiment of the status quo) and Americans decided to go with Trump (aka something new, something different). Now Democrats want to put up Biden (basically the male version of Hillary Clinton) vs Trump. What makes us think the result is going to be any different? Establishment vs populist didn’t work last time, there’s nothing to suggest it’ll work this time. Sanders is the left’s version of a populist. I think he stands a better chance... just my opinion

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X