No announcement yet.

Trump - misc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reagan was racist. So was Nixon. Trump i just the latest in a long line.

National Archives releases Reagan's racist call with then-President Nixon, ex-Nixon library director says

In a newly unearthed audio clip, then-California Gov. Ronald Reagan disparaged "monkeys" from African countries in a phone call with then-President Richard Nixon, according to the former director of Nixon's presidential library, who published his findings in The Atlantic.

Tim Naftali, who directed the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum from 2007 to 2011, writes that Reagan -- who would later become the 40th President of the United States -- called Nixon in October 1971, the day after the United Nations had voted to recognize the People's Republic of China. In the call, he says, Reagan is heard apparently referencing the way the Tanzanian delegation started dancing in the General Assembly when the UN took the vote to seat the delegation from Beijing instead of Taiwan.

Reagan, Naftali writes, is heard saying to Nixon, "Last night, I tell you, to watch that thing on television as I did."

Nixon interjected: "Yeah."

Reagan continued, "To see those, those monkeys from those African countries -- damn them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes!"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/polit...ies/index.html

Comment

• Audio interview with Lee Atwater, Reagan's campaign chair and later head of the Republican National Committee on the GOPs Southern Strategy". This is the year after Reagan was elected.

Exclusive: Lee Atwater’s Infamous 1981 Interview on the Southern Strategy

It has become, for liberals and leftists enraged by the way Republicans never suffer the consequences for turning electoral politics into a cesspool, a kind of smoking gun. The late, legendarily brutal campaign consultant Lee Atwater explains how Republicans can win the vote of racists without sounding racist themselves:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can’t say “nigger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger.”

Now, the same indefatigable researcher who brought us Mitt Romney’s “47 percent” remarks, James Carter IV, has dug up the entire forty-two-minute interview from which that quote derives. Here, The Nation publishes it in its entirety for the very first time.

https://www.thenation.com/article/ex...hern-strategy/

Comment

• Official remarks from the White House

Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure

Mitch McConnell is a man that knows less about Russia and Russia’s influence than even Donald Trump. And I know nothing.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...-departure-55/

Comment

• Maybe Trump is right, Baltimore has many rat infested places that are owned by slumlords like Jared Kushner.

"the Kushner Cos. had violated housing codes more than 200 times in just 10 months "

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/...ents-1.4530786

Jared Kushner's family real estate firm owns thousands of apartments and townhomes in the Baltimore area, and some have been criticized for the same kind of disrepair and neglect that the president has accused local leaders of failing to address. Residents have complained about mould, bedbugs, leaks and, yes, mice -- plenty of mice. And they say management appears in no hurry to fix the problems.

"They don't care," says Dezmond James, who says he has spotted as many as three mice a week since he moved in to the Commons at White Marsh in suburban Middle River four years ago.

James says he sees a massive contradiction in Trump's much-publicized tweets laying the blame for Baltimore's poverty, crime and rodent problems on frequent antagonist Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings. Trump, he said, should look more at what he -- and specifically Kushner -- could do about it.

"His son-in-law owns all of this -- then he can fix it. I'm pretty sure he has a lot of money," says James, who is studying to be a medical assistant. "That's kind of weird that you want to talk trash. ... If you want to make improvements, you can make improvements."

Conditions got so bad two years ago that the Baltimore County government issued a release showing the Kushner Cos. had violated housing codes more than 200 times in just 10 months and only moved to fix the problems after being threatened with fines.

"I had black mould in my cabinets. I called them, I called them, I called them. And they never did anything," says Simone Ryer who moved out Whispering Woods in Middle River two years ago. "That was more than enough for me to leave."

In a statement, the Kushner Cos. said it was proud of its Baltimore-area apartments and has worked to maintain a "high quality residential experience for our tenants" by investing "substantial amounts" in upkeep.

A website for the Commons at White Marsh boasts of"amenities that amaze," but many of the 181 comments posted by residents at the review site apartmentratings.com complain of rats, mould, bedbugs, roaches and leaks. The reviews say management is generally unresponsive
          Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 31-07-2019, 09:24 PM.
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Elijah Cummings agrees with Trump that Baltimore is infested, is he a racist?
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqGt4m_rODA

Comment

• Infested by drugs that were taking the lives of young people and he took actions to clean up the problem, spearheading measures and working with communities to reduce the problems. He put action into his words and did not say the derogatory words that Trump used against the people who live there.

Context matters as well as taking actions against the problem with positive solutions rather that tearing people down.
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Comparisons between Maryland, which includes Baltimore, and Kentucky, home state of Mitch McConnell.

Health Care: MD 8th vs KY 44th
                Education: MD 13th vs KY 38th
                Economy: MD 26th vs KY 39th
                Infrastructure: MD 21st vs KY 26th
                Opportunity: MD 5th vs KY 20th
                Fiscal Stability: MD 15th vs KY 45th
                Overall quality of life:
                Maryland ranks 6th nationwide;
                Kentucky ranks 40th.
                [Source: US News & World Report, "Best States Rankings:
                Measuring outcomes for citizens using more than 70 metrics," 2019 ranking]

Comment

• Correct

Many Republican districts are in worse shape than Baltimore.

Comment

• Found this today about the very stable genius...

What are the funniest examples of Donald Trump being uninformed?

Ross Cohen, B.A. History & Political Science

Answered 5h ago

While it’s more sad than funny, it’s not hard to find some funny in it. Donald Trump is strikingly ignorant on seemingly every subject under the sun, from health and science to geography and history; from major world events of recent years to one of the cornerstones of U.S. defense policy for 50 years.

There’s also big gaps in basic government and constitutional knowledge, as well giant misunderstandings in what he considered his signature issue, trade policy.

This is not to mention everyday common knowledge like what health insurance is, or the fact that we already have big celebrations on the fourth of July.

Here are a few examples…

On TPP, the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal:

Trump pretends to know everything about everything, but he’s especially pretentious when it comes to trade policy because it’s associated with business and pretending to be a good businessman and dealmaker was the central part of his claim to being qualified as a candidate.

Of course, he’s repeatedly shown how little he knows about trade issues and in one debate Trump went on and on and on about how China out-negotiated us, that they’re getting a much better deal and we’re all just such bad negotiators and so, so stupid.

…until it was finally pointed out that China isn’t even part of the deal.

On health insurance:

Trump:*“So pre-existing conditions are a tough deal. Because you are basically saying from the moment the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for insurance, and by the time you’re 70, you get a nice plan. Here’s something where you walk up and say, ‘I want my insurance.’ ”

This has absolutely nothing to do with the way health insurance works.

On world affairs:

"[Vladimir Putin} is not going into Ukraine, OK, just so you understand. He’s not gonna go into Ukraine, all right? You can mark it down. You can put it down."

—Donald Trump in 2016, apparently completely unaware that Russia had already annexed Crimea two years earlier, in a widely covered, broadly denounced invasion.

So knowledgeable!

With embarrassing ignorance like that (for a presidential candidate) on major issues, it’s hard to focus on the comparatively smaller ones, like when he has to try to pronounce a country he’s apparently never heard of before and manages to do it in funny ways — "Button" for Bhutan and my favorite, "Nipple" for Nepal.

On geography:

"We just got back from the Middle East."*—Trump,*in*Israel

Our ambassador literally face-palmed.

On the military, foreign policy, nuclear policy:

Hard to know where to start… most of these are more sad than funny.

He said,*“Lebanon is on the front lines in the fight against ISIS, Al Qaeda, and Hezbollah.”No, Hezbollah is actually part of the Lebanese government, but only for the last few decades. The average voter might not know that, but world leaders do.

He thinks Germany owes “vast sums” to the United States for NATO. No, countries don’t owe the U.S. money for NATO. They need to spend more on their own militaries, not pay us.

He was asked questions about the nuclear triad and had no idea what it was. That one’s too scary to find funny though, so let’s just move on.

I guess the only funny one would be how he thinks stealth fighters are literally invisible:

“They're invisible, you can't see them, they could be right in front of you and you'd never know.”

Comment

• Comment

• I’m curious whether Canadian prices will be affected by the Chinese tariffs. They shouldn’t be, but quite often I think the Canadian prices for good is related to the US price. Next year we’ll see new video game systems released; will the Canadian prices be cheaper than the US prices due to the tariffs Trump is imposing?
                        They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

• It really depends on how the particular good's supply chain is configured. If the finished good is something that's assembled in the US from parts made in China, then it would be impacted. If it's coming straight from China, then it wouldn't. Supply chains have become so complex and complicated that it can be near impossible even for supply chain experts or the companies sitting at the top of the chains to figure out where all the various materials and components that make up modern goods were sourced from.

Comment

• Trump claims he stepped back because he didn't want to face "slander and libel'.

Actually, it was because of this:

Trump's pick for intelligence director misrepresented role in anti-terror case

"In a 2015 press release, Ratcliffe's House website stated, "When serving by special appointment in U.S. v. Holy Land Foundation, he convicted individuals who were funneling money to Hamas behind the front of a charitable organization."

His official campaign website, in a February 2016 post, also touted his "special appointment as the prosecutor in U.S. v. Holy Land Foundation, one of the nation's largest terrorism financing cases."

But ABC News could find no public court records that connect Ratcliffe to either of the two trials for the case. Former officials directly involved in the decade-long Holy Land Foundation investigation could not recall Ratcliffe having any role, and four former defense attorneys who served on the cases told ABC News on Monday they had no recollection of Ratcliffe being involved with any of the proceedings that resulted in the convictions of their clients."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=64646682

Comment

• You mean Ratcliffe lied!?!?

No wonder why Trump had picked him.

Trump blames the investigative reporters that John Ratcliffe is being treated very unfairly.

Yeah, being caught in blatant lies should not be a reason for not getting key political posts.
                              Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 02-08-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Trump Attacks, Then Says He Relies On Press To Vet Nominees
                                The president blamed the "LameStream Media" earlier in the day for his decision to withdraw Rep. John Ratcliffe's nomination for director of national intelligence.

Trump withdrew his nomination for Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-Texas) to take the position, tweeting on Friday that Ratcliffe would be “treated very unfairly by the LameStream Media,” and that it would be “miserable... to deal with these people.”

But later that day, speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump said he likes when the press vets his nominees.

“Well no, you vet for me,” Trump said when a reporter asked about the White House’s vetting process. “I like when you vet, no, no, you vet. I think the White House is a great vetting process. You vet for me. When I give a name, I give it out to the press, and you vet for me.”

“A lot of times, you do a very good job, not always,” he continued. “If you take a look at it, the vetting process for the White House is very good, but you’re part of the vetting process, you know? I give out a name to the press, and they vet for me. We save a lot of money that way. But in the case of John, I really believe that he was being treated very harshly and very unfairly.”
                                So Trump, the very stable genius, admits that he cannot make good decisions. He throws candidates against the wall like spaghetti and see who sticks.

Sounds like he learnt management theory from the scripts of 'The Apprentice'

Comment

Working...
                                X