Trump on immigration, big beautiful walls, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump on immigration, big beautiful walls, etc

" Do you solemnly swear that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God? Answer: No way in Hell if doing so hurts the Trump case.

Two seconds with Google would have found the facts but instead they circulate a picture of a wall and call the Pope a hypocrite.

No, Internet, the Vatican is not a walled city

"After this week’s kerfuffle between GOP frontrunner Donald Trump and Pope Francis about whether building border walls is a Christ-like act, Trump supporters and others gleefully proclaimed the pope a hypocrite because the Vatican itself is completely surrounded by a big wall.

Except that it’s not."

This map, also circulating, shows St. Peter’s Square, on the right, closed off from the street by a wall. ...

https://cruxnow.com/church/2016/02/1...a-walled-city/

Bolding was mine
    Last edited by KC; 24-05-2017, 08:21 AM.

Another Trump bashing thread.
    Some are going to argue that there are wall around Vatican (City). Apparently Pope Leonine built them to keep Muslims out.

http://www.hannity.com/articles/war-...uilt-14400553/
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Its interesting how we can have one Liberal / Trudeau thread, one Notley / NDP thread, but that Trump is supposedly so much more important (presumably because he is not a left winger and is in the US), that he needs multiple threads to discuss him.

Comment

One Trudeau thread is on to many. Trudeau is a lightweight.

Comment

Except there's waaay more than 1 Notley/NDP thread. Hell, there's three with her name in the title on the front page of the Alberta Politics subforum, and then there's all the other policy-related threads. And any thread with Gem in it has a 99% chance of becoming "a Trudeau thread" within a handful of posts if we consider her tired ad hominems a valid discussion of Trudeau as an individual or Liberal policies in general.

But don't let reality get in the way of your rhetoric, conservatives. I mean, ludicrous claims debunked in seconds via a cursory internet search are the height of presidential behaviours!
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

We could start a "Notley Scandals" thread, but it would be empty.
            There can only be one.

Comment

^Perhaps, Notley seems a smart woman, its just a shame most of the people in her party are empty in their heads, which doesn't make up for how big their hearts supposedly are.

Comment

In spite of her political leanings Notley seems like a nice person.

Comment

Libya was one of the countries on President Trump's attempted travel ban:

Manchester Bombers's Father Says Son made Regular Visits to Libya: http://archive.is/odAgf

Comment

I don't think her political leanings are outside the mainstream even in Alberta, it's mostly here party affiliation that makes her seem that way. The "adults" in the Alberta NDP have been mostly moderates as long as I can remember, there are a few MLAs now who might fit the fringe campus NDP mold but she has done a good job keeping them in check.

As long as she remains firmly in the saddle I will vote NDP, but the minute it look like the leadership might fall to a "meddling" type progressive I will be looking for a different centrist option.
                    There can only be one.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post

Manchester Bombers's Father Says Son made Regular Visits to Libya: http://archive.is/odAgf
                      Which, if the UK had a similar attempted travel ban, wouldn't have prevented a UK citizen from visiting Libya and returning. Like in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Channing View Post

Which, if the UK had a similar attempted travel ban, wouldn't have prevented a UK citizen from visiting Libya and returning. Like in this case.
                        Exactly. The travel ban applies to citizens of those countries. It doesn't prevent American citizens from travelling to and from them.

Comment

Yes, I was reading an article from the UK that said there were actually a lot of people of Libyan descent in the Manchester area. Apparently many fled from Qaddafi in the 1980's so they have been there a long time now, not recent immigrants. I am guessing by those dates that they came when Thatcher was still PM of the UK and most of the youth being radicalized were mostly actually born in the UK and are therefore citizens.

This suspected terrorist traveled to Libya, but he had close family there so I am not sure that trip would have aroused too much suspicion. It was mentioned he traveled to Syria as well, which perhaps did arouse some suspicion as I gather the authorities were aware of him. However, I am not sure if they were monitoring him very closely as they didn't have any information he posed a likely threat.

I suppose the UK could ban travel to certain countries like Libya, but then people might just book trips through other countries (like Turkey or Egypt) to get around it and the authorities then might not know their final destination. At least now they have a better idea of where they are actually going.

In summary, blanket travel bans and immigration restrictions are not going to work as most of the youth in Europe and elsewhere being radicalized were born there or have already been there for many years.

Comment

The Wall

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

Yes, I was reading an article from the UK that said there were actually a lot of people of Libyan descent in the Manchester area. Apparently many fled from Qaddafi in the 1980's so they have been there a long time now, not recent immigrants. I am guessing by those dates that they came when Thatcher was still PM of the UK and most of the youth being radicalized were mostly actually born in the UK and are therefore citizens.

This suspected terrorist traveled to Libya, but he had close family there so I am not sure that trip would have aroused too much suspicion. It was mentioned he traveled to Syria as well, which perhaps did arouse some suspicion as I gather the authorities were aware of him. However, I am not sure if they were monitoring him very closely as they didn't have any information he posed a likely threat.

I suppose the UK could ban travel to certain countries like Libya, but then people might just book trips through other countries (like Turkey or Egypt) to get around it and the authorities then might not know their final destination. At least now they have a better idea of where they are actually going.

In summary, blanket travel bans and immigration restrictions are not going to work as most of the youth in Europe and elsewhere being radicalized were born there or have already been there for many years.

His father was arrested, that close family??
                              Animals are my passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X