Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C2E Feedback Thread - Premier's address

Please submit your feedback here.

Please, do not enter into discussions, treat this as you would treat the Ask forums.
    Ow

Capital bonds hey... Interesting
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

This comment:
      Originally posted by Premier Stelmach
      I understand that people fear change.
      ...with respect to Health Care sounds more ominous than promising. I am extremely vested in the future of health care as I owe my life to a good public system as when I fought cancer, I was not "fiscally endowed". Almost 20 years ago, AHC and the WW Cross Cancer institute saved my life.

I do not fear change Mr. Premier, but the wording leads me to believe that a strong shift to a private system is in the works - mainly because many people FEAR this. I am desperate for more information here sir, especially in terms of what and when. When can we expect to see a full strategic vision, encompassing all options your government is considering, placed out in the open for Albertans to view?
      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
        Capital bonds hey... Interesting
        I'd be interested in that, as long as it has a decent interest rate.
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I have to agree with the commentators on Alberta Primetime. I heard nothing new at all in this speech but platitudes.
          happy to be the grumpy old bugger waking up the booster club!

Comment

Alberta Capital Bonds, I would buy into them if it was a decent return.Wonder if you will be able to buy them at chartered banks or if they will be at Alberta Treasury Branches only.
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

I wonder if the ATB offering earlier this year of an Alberta GIC was a test drive for the capital bonds ...

What were they offering 5.5%I think.
              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

5.5% is a good return. When I finished paying off my mortgage I decided to save the money I would have spent on the mortgage and opened a Tax Free Account at TD and it pays way less than 5.5. Not too sure what the GIC rate is but I would be interested in the ACB's.

Comment

Looks like the civil servants are in for a pay freeze.

Comment

A curiosity I noticed is that this address focuses on the same old things. I heard nothing of a vision for economic diversity, venture capital, supporting small businesses, or completely new industry. It was oil and gas, oil and gas, health care, and oil and gas.
                    happy to be the grumpy old bugger waking up the booster club!

Comment

He did say he would invest in public infastructure. I know what infastructure is but I am not sure what public infastructure is.

Comment

Keep the comments coming folks. I'm watching Alberta Primetime and they mentioned that they will be monitoring this site in conjunction with their facebook, twitter, and their own e-mail.

Thank you Rod for getting this up so fast. I look forward to future partnerships.

BTW - our twitter account died too, just like yours .
                        Ow

Comment

Quite the surprise...does the Stelmach Government know what employee relations are...?

I have a number of friends in government as managers. So far as I know, not one of them had been informed in advance of changes such as a unilaterally imposed wage freezes on a good number of their staff...
                          Last edited by Beesenitch; 14-10-2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                            I wonder if the ATB offering earlier this year of an Alberta GIC was a test drive for the capital bonds ...

What were they offering 5.5%I think.
                            That would be VERY GOOD considering that Canada Savings Bonds are at less than 1%
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I'm giving this a quick look during my choir rehearsal break.

My first feeling is that the presentation does not feel good. He's reading a speech on a card that he has absolutely no ownership of.

1. Living within our means. Where was this 9 years ago? 10? I have been very disappointed in the spend-happy mode of the PCs since the debt was retired. Yes, we had an infrastructure debt and all these kind of things but the spending has been without much of a plan. Even living within our means needs to be done intelligently and with a plan.

2. A lot of happy platitudes about the saving bit. We could have definitely pocketed away a lot more money if we had watched the spending.

3. We have the resources...but will the world need them as much as it used to? The car industry shake up has really shown that the old way of thinking can't (and isn't) going to continue for long. Hybrids are here.

4. I do agree with a few things he said about Health Care. There's been a lot of talk and nothing has been done. I really believe that health is a giant that will eat up everything one throws at it. It's also an easy way to buy votes which is why the Klein PCs seemed to just thrown dollars at health without thinking. Naturally I'm completely against a private system, but I think there is a lot of work that can be done in adjusting the system to the 21st century.

5. The future tech part was rather disappointing. Blah, blah, blah, oil sands. Carbon capture. What about truly researching future energy production? We have a corner on the current energy system so why not use that to ensure we have a leg up on the next stage...whatever that may be.

6. We wouldn't allow highways to fall apart? Heh, that's kind of funny given how much we've talked about the sometimes downright horrid condition of Highway 2.

As has already been said, I'm very disappointed in the lack of vision in this message. It really didn't have much to add that we didn't already know. If we really want to be an economic power we need to think beyond primary industry and power generation. The oil sands ain't the be all and end all.

Aaaand back to practice I go
                              LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Working...
                              X