This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask Tom - Wednesday Question Thread

The Ask Tom question thread is now open.
    Ow

I applaud you for participating in this forum, Colonel. What's the difference between a Commanding Officer and a Base Commander? Also, I've heard Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Edmonton called Area Support Unit (ASU) Edmonton and Edmonton Garrison. Which one is most correct? Finally, how does the current crop of junior officers (captain and below) compare to those with whom you graduated in 1990?

Comment

Thank you for participating sir.

In your opinion, how well does the Garrison integrate into the local civilian population? How could your staff, troops, and families be better integrated?
      happy to be the grumpy old bugger waking up the booster club!

Comment

Lt.-Col.Tom Bradley

Welcome to Edmonton and congratulations on your "Change of Command" Parade and appointment as Edmonton Garrison Base Commander.

I had the pleasure of working with Col. Blenkinsop on the redevelopment of "Sir Winston Churchill Park" and several other projects and look forward to meeting with you in the near future.

For the members of the forum could you briefly describe the "Sir Winston Churchill Park" redevelopment project and how it fits with Edmonton Garrison's improving the public's awareness of our Military neighbor to our North.

Thomas Hinderks
        Executive Director
        Alberta Aviation Museum

Comment

Welcome to Edmonton, Colonel, and I hope your time in the city proves to be rewarding.

Does the plan to close the City Centre Airport pose any challenges to CFB Edmonton?

Edmontonians made amazing contributions during both world wars, but I think most people are unaware of them. In our schools, we tend to ignore military history, perhaps out of fear of seeming to glamourize war. How important is it to remember battles such as Ortona, for example? How do we teach our children about the heroism of our soldiers while also making the point that war is miserable?
          http://www.twitter.com/ckls

Comment

Lt.-Col. Bradley

I do not know if you can answer this or not but are you concerned about recent reports of incursions on our Arctic sovereignty by nations such as Russia? What role would Edmonton as the Gateway to the North play in that discussion?

Welcome to Edmonton.
            Go Canucks Go!

Comment

Welcome to Edmonton .

Has there been any consideration given to reopening either of the runways at the base for military uses? The NE portion of Anthony Henday Drive is scheduled to be completed by 2015, what impacts or benefits does the military see from this project, in relation to operations inolving our other bases, CFB Wainwright, CFB Cold Lake, as well as transfers to the airport?
              Finally what brought you to C2E so expediously considering the other items that must be clamoring for your attention?

Thank you for your involvement with C2E, and I hope that you gand the men and women under your command get back a portion of what Edmonton gains from it's association with our Armed forces.
              Edmonton - Vancouver - Ottawa

Comment

Lt.-Col.Tom Bradley,

I'd like to start by welcoming you to Edmonton and echoing the thanks that the previous posters have already given you. I'm sure the entire C2E community is unanimous in their gratitude to you for taking some time out of a busy schedule to indulge some of our questions.

My question isn't a direct question. I am hoping you could comment on how CFB Edmonton fits into the larger landscape of the Canadian Forces. What role does CFB Edmonton play in our national defense system, what are our primary strengths (vs. CFB Wainwright, for instance), and is Edmonton a well-known/performing base in the Canadian system. Where do you see CFB Edmonton and its operations in, say, 10 years? Growing or maintaining the status quo?
                LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Colonel Bradley,

Normally the Admin does not ask questions, but I would like to direct your attention to the following thread (posted today).

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=13745 click on the link.

In this thread, there seems to be a concern with Red Friday being "a fun day." The question would be is Red Friday a day where people can have "fun", or is it a more respectful or formal event?

Can they both co-exist and now does the military overall perceive Red Friday events?
                  Ow

Comment

LTC Bradley,

We seem to be subject to an ongoing persistent call to “support the troops”, a call that takes various forms. In your view, in the view of your command, what exactly does the slogan “support the troops” mean? Might you offer qualified support examples that you & your command recognize/respect?

Many critique the slogan because they believe it draws attention away from the policy side behind war/engagement… as the slogan diverts attention away from the crux of the debate concerning Canada’s role and participation in global conflicts. How would you answer critics who have difficulty separating “supporting the troops” from “supporting the mission”?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                      LTC Bradley,

We seem to be subject to an ongoing persistent call to “support the troops”, a call that takes various forms. In your view, in the view of your command, what exactly does the slogan “support the troops” mean? Might you offer qualified support examples that you & your command recognize/respect?

Many critique the slogan because they believe it draws attention away from the policy side behind war/engagement… as the slogan diverts attention away from the crux of the debate concerning Canada’s role and participation in global conflicts. How would you answer critics who have difficulty separating “supporting the troops” from “supporting the mission”?

To further add to Jeff's question....

Do you worry that the constant "rah rah rah support the troops rah rah rah" stuff (like the previously mentioned red day, ribbons on cars, ribbons on trees, presence at sporting events, presence at public events etc etc etc) creates a situation where your average Joe becomes desensitized to the support/tribute/respect "campaign"?

Comment

Lieutenant Colonel Bradley,

I would also like to start by thanking you for agreeing to participate in one of C2E's forums. In taking over command of the Edmonton Garrison, you are joining a select group of individuals who have earned our respect and admiration for a host of reasons including a commitment to being part of our comminity. You have chosen a career path that very few civilians can truly appreciate and one that puts us all in your debt and one of the privileges of being an Edmontonian is having the occassional opportunity to acknowledge that in person and in forums such as this one and it would be greatly appreciated if that sentiment could be passed on to each of the men and women in your command.

As a question, do you have an opinion that you could share on the advantages - or the disadvantages - of fulfilling the numerous and varied roles our armed forces are tasked with as a "unified" service as opposed to "individual" services? Is it something you feel adds to the requisite "esprit de corp" your roles require or is it more difficult to nurture that cameraderie without the added competition of individual uniforms and areas of expertise? Can you comment as well as on whether it makes any difference at either the command level or field level in "joint commands" or task forces made up of other forces that are segregated rather than integrated?

Thanks,

Ken
                        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Questions for Lt.-Col.Tom Bradley

Welcome to Edmonton and congratulations on your new posting. I applaud you for engaging the Edmonton community so quickly and effectively through C2E.

Here are my questions:

1. What are the three things you would most like to communicate to the residents of Greater Edmonton about Edmonton Garrison?

2. What is the latest economic impact estimate of Edmonton Garrison to the Edmonton region?

3. Has a decision yet been made to assign the recently ordered Chinook helicopters to Edmonton Garrison? or Wainwright? How many helicopters would we possibly be receiving? and how many new jobs would these helicopters potential create locally?

4. The Edmonton Salutes' Committee has done a lot of great work to build relationships between Edmonton Garrison and the greater community. Are there any other military communities in Canada that have comparable programs to Edmonton Salutes? Or are we heads-and-shoulders above what any other community is doing?

5. Would you consider having an open house at Edmonton Garrison one day a year?, ideally on Canada Day?

I recognize that there would be some logistical issues, but there would also be many invaluable community /public relations benefits. As well, personnel issues could be mitigated by utilizing vets, cadets and Edmonton's "army' of volunteers.
                          Edmonton: Capital of Canada's Bold West!

Comment

Lt.-Col. Bradley,

While not a question, a member has posted the following. It was moved to the Raves section of the forum.

http://connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13762
                            Ow

Comment

Working...
                            X