X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks very good.

Comment

Originally posted by IGNITERS View Post
      can something look worse than that "concept" ?
      "fake old" with no intresting features meets a glass bicycle seat ( as mentioned )
      the "concept " as I see it is an embarassing mess and I think ,no wait ...I KNOW we can do better than that !
      There is ways to combine old styles to new architecture. It just means using the right materials to blend it all in and tie it all together.
      Like a nice rug that ties a room together.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...33.11,,0,-12.6

This style is very similar to the Strathcona Bus Barns which is a nice building and is a well designed space. They want to put that thing right in the middle of the oldest spot to the building and they'll cheap out on the facade and barely have a plan for the surrounding area. We'll wind up with strip mall architecture instead of something we can actually appreciate and develop more personally.

One thing I've noticed is how our strip malls don't lend themselves to using colour or matierials any differently than the next store over. It makes everything extremely generic and boring and that's something we need to avoid on this project which is essentially looking like a strip mall wrapped around a coliseum complex.

We have two perspectives. Street View and Distance. From a distance you can only see the top portion of the arena so you want that to be unique, but it also needs to remain distant from the street view or at least not overpowering. Street view rules is pretty much limited to 2 or 3 story commercial shops so you want the focus to be on the street and the facades of those buildings.

They need to be cohesive in at least the facade veneers using commonly related materials and styles that works with the community style.
      Personally, I'd be using a lot of black steel stone, wood, and brick.
      Textures and colours that consist of a pallete taken from the river valley and the prairie. Mix that with an early victorian pallete that relates to the age of the neighborhood. Throw all that stuff in with LED streetlights that look like old gaslights and wrought iron inspired signage and combine the technology to blend with the environment.

They can blend much of the newer 'tron' lighting in with the semi villagescape and it would be absolutely cool looking. having the arena as the backdrop.

Comment

This is closer to what I mean.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...315.62,,0,0.99

Notice the covered canopy and windbreaking panels. I just think that's a neat idea.
        At night time if the coliseum was bottom lit and mix that with an open street space filled with little shops and restaurants that had patios and trees and ambient lighting, it would be sexy. Thats one of the best things about Rice Howard Way is the night time patio ambience. It's lively enough to be invigorating but it's also quiet enough to be romantic. Outside of hockey season we have to use this thing and for hot summer breezy nights, it'd be great to have. You can still have the arena and it's complex as well as parkade and hotel access. This way can include some green space as well as a drop off point for the arena station.

Comment

armin....the new Tiger stadium seems to be located in a charming looking district. i like it!
          Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Comment

How much would it have cost to have build a roof over Commonwealth Stadium when they built it; $10M, I beleive. Short sighted thinking has cost us!! Check out skyscraperpage.com and combine the Alberta towers; Edmonton/Calgary.......We're dust suckers... The Art Gallery made the same amount of money in one month, compared to the entire year of the former. People complained about the costs before it was built as well. Building that arena! $270M on the 23 ave overpass, no taxes will be collected from that.

Comment

Originally posted by stinger View Post
              How much would it have cost to have build a roof over Commonwealth Stadium when they built it; $10M, I beleive. Short sighted thinking has cost us!! Check out skyscraperpage.com and combine the Alberta towers; Edmonton/Calgary.......We're dust suckers... The Art Gallery made the same amount of money in one month, compared to the entire year of the former. People complained about the costs before it was built as well. Building that arena! $270M on the 23 ave overpass, no taxes will be collected from that.
              could you paraphrase/ translate/ explain what you have written?

Comment

There are a lot of people here, C2E, that lust over really cool developements (myself included) and it would be rather dissapointing if most of these proposals never move forward. The Katz group is trying to build "something" downtown. There are many developers who have proposals on the table that are stale. If the developers, Katz group, COE, etc. combine their efforts, then maybe we could have a skyline like Calgary has. The City will spend billions on LRT. If Katz spent $200M for the Oilers, I'm sure the brain waves in City Hall can swing a deal, 50/50 or whatever, but don't let a big fish swim away....we don't have too many of them around here. What would Edmonton look like if WEM wasn't built....a little more boring and placid than it is now. What if the cheap skates didn't win their arguement about spending $10M for a roof over CWS. We'd have a year round facility today. Like attracts like. We desperately need this project to move ahead.

Comment

"The Katz group is trying to build "something" downtown."

yes, but how do you support something without knowing what?

"If the developers, Katz group, COE, etc. combine their efforts, then maybe we could have a skyline like Calgary has. "

could improve the skyline and density, but apples and oranges

"we don't have too many of them around here. What would Edmonton look like if WEM wasn't built....a little more boring and placid than it is now."

some would argue the exact opposite with whyte and downtown far more active and expanded in terms of retail, hotel, and entertainment.

.... I want to support the arena project, but i need to have more certainty in certain items along with a better idea of funding and associated infrastructure upgrades.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

The Katz group is trying to build "something" downtown.
                    No they aren't, they want the City to pay for it and they will only build the rest of it if taxpayers pay for the arena itself. This means they don't get to be in the driver's seat.

then maybe we could have a skyline like Calgary has.
                    A city's skyline has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is a good place to live or the quality of life of its citizens.

What would Edmonton look like if WEM wasn't built....a little more boring and placid than it is now.
                    WEM is what killed downtown btw, and why you seem to think we need the arena proposal so badly. You can't have it both ways. It took downtown 25-30 years to start to recover from this blow.

We desperately need this project to move ahead.
                    We don't need it that desperately that we need to be willing to give away the "baby with the bathwater" to do it. There is a reasonable way to do it, but unfortunately this process that the Katz Group has put together isn't it. Trust me, if they get turned down, they'll be back. We don't need to approve a flawed application just because we're so scared or being manipulated to think it's our only opportunity, ever. It isn't.
                    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 28-05-2010, 11:33 AM.
                    www.decl.org

Comment

Working...
                    X