No announcement yet.

Grow up, C2E members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having users register their real names and contact information with the admins would encourage some posters to reflect on what and how they state their opinions. I for one would like to see this and would probably be more active on here, if the tone does improve ...

Comment

• I'd much rather see an aggressively-policed approach to one that requires disclosure of personal information. I ran a very well-trafficked blog for years that eventually ran into some serious community behavioral issues; the antidote was simple: any users who refused to engage in civil, polite discussion, or who would de-rail threads with off-topic/off-point distractions were banned without hesitation. (Usually this would follow a warning, and then a one-week time-out.) The results were astoundingly positive. Large communities like MetaFilter operate along similar lines with great success.
      “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesL View Post
        I'd much rather see an aggressively-policed approach to one that requires disclosure of personal information. I ran a very well-trafficked blog for years that eventually ran into some serious community behavioral issues; the antidote was simple: any users who refused to engage in civil, polite discussion, or who would de-rail threads with off-topic/off-point distractions were banned without hesitation. (Usually this would follow a warning, and then a one-week time-out.) The results were astoundingly positive. Large communities like MetaFilter operate along similar lines with great success.
        This banning techniques generally creates animosity between members, eventually resulting in teams of people ganging up on the other "teams"
        Evolution beats Revolution every time!

Comment

• Anyone see that Donald Trump tv show last week? I don't know the name of it but caught part of the show. A fascinating case study in offering up opinions. This episode should be shown in every school and university in the country!

Lou Ferigno was on it. When asked by Donald Trump which video he thought was best, Ferigno said he thought the competing team's video was better than than his own team's video. Now, keep in mind that the Entertainment coupon book people had already selected a winner. Trump apprently fired Ferigno for not supporting his team by lying to Trump himself.

Fascinating!

Maybe the solution is for every user to have two user names, one real and one fictional.
          Last edited by KC; 18-04-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• ^ I've finally come up with a "signature".

Comment

• Cross-reference to posts starting at #159 at the link below.

A question for debate: Should known participants have to clarify or recuse themselves on some c2e threads? Should their statements here be considered personal opinion or something else?

River Valley Gondola - Bridging the City - Page 2
              http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...the-City/page2
              Last edited by KC; 21-01-2019, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• On a board that allows anonymous posting, a rule requring clarification or recusment of posters with a vested interest would ultimately be kind of pointless. Yeah, we all know that IanO is involved with certain organizations around town, but we have no way of knowing anything about ChukBoy69 who could be posting on the same topics, and, for all we know, working for some off-line party to advance their opinions on C2E.
                Last edited by overoceans; 22-01-2019, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X