Time for a domain name change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by overoceans View Post
    From what I've seen, membership on most message-boards peaked around ten years ago, with a steady decline since then. Likely this corresponds with the rise of social media.
    Yeah, Facebook started to boom around 2007, and Twitter came out a couple years afterward. Now those formats are starting to die, as kids all go to Snapchat and newer forms of online discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
      Originally posted by champking View Post
      Lefties hate when they can't control the message
      Yup. When they can't bully people into being quiet, they silence opposing views through censorship or misdirection (much like the intent behind this thread). It's so disgusting. Truth always comes out the other end, but you need to let everyone talk it through, otherwise it ends up like North Korea.
      Ahh, talk is boring, slow and requires compromise. I figure the vast majority of people are capable of talk and compromise and win win or at least win and loose little. A few people lack that capacity and can't accept any loss. Or they see a win win as a loss. Like near any religion and religious beliefs, the winner will take all, the loser must suffer and be humiliated.

So the vast majority of a population just want to go on with their lives slowly trying to improve them, while just a few people can't accept that and manage to rally enough others to start a war. Those few 'abnormals' or outliers (on some issue) end up disrupting everyone else's life, destroying all that was built-up, all that was good along the way. No compromising on one's principles...

Here in Edmonton the arena development disrupted everything else and tossed all other priorities aside. The no taxpayer money hardliners and profit motives collided to create a crisis. And on the forum, a constant back and forth battle. The smartphone thread battle between to "brands" seems nonsensical but take a look. People are actually serious in their attacks on the other brand and it's purchasers. Henderson hostile postings. "Downtown", which like most "principles" can't even be adequately defined - even by the adherents- elicited endless hostilities and personal attacks. So like weirdos committing crimes, they dominate the news and attract far more attention than they deserve. Screwing up everyone's access to good, useful, positive news that the the vast majority could actual use.
      Last edited by KC; 26-07-2017, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Yup. When they can't bully people into being quiet, they silence opposing views through censorship or misdirection (much like the intent behind this thread). It's so disgusting. Truth always comes out the other end, but you need to let everyone talk it through, otherwise it ends up like North Korea.
        I'm just suggesting we don't need 10 threads on trump. Obama certainly didn't have this many active threads.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
          I'm just suggesting we don't need 10 threads on trump. Obama certainly didn't have this many active threads.
          Admin decided that one wasn't working and so users were asked to start meaningfully topical threads. I say, decision made, live with it. Poke fun, yes, (see my comment several posts up) but live with it.

Any topic that gets people riled up gets emotional and hostile. It's great at showing the world that we are no different than them in many ways. It also shows the world how free speech 'works' for us. It also shows how nonsense can dominate a few people's lives - for good or bad. The Trump threads are like 'academic' discussions - among non-academics (and it shows). They are also immensely entertaining if you have a sense of humour about the craziness of life.

Some people see in 3D or more, in my view, to others the world is just 2D and should only be 1D. So for them black and white, left and right, liberal and conservative, Christian and Muslim, urban and suburban...
          Binary views:

Two tribes: A divided Northern Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...30921?mode=amp
          Last edited by KC; 26-07-2017, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
            Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
            It's easier for longtime users to just delete the bookmark and let the alt-right anti-intellectuals have their hijacked mudpit to themselves. I can get informed, meaningful dialogue from the entire political spectrum pretty much anywhere, this site is rapidly devolving to the lowest common denominator in some ill-fated attempt at being fair and equitable to its users... those that bother to stay, anyway.
            Basically this, and a lack of new members. It's the same dozen or two people arguing the same things over and over. But, that's nothing unique to this board. I've seen it happen with others in totally different subjects. If a board doesn't hit a certain critical mass of users, it will tend to stagnate after too long.
            X2.
            Get rid of the entire C2E cafe section. Or else this site is dead within a year.
            Really, it was the Real Estate and DEvelopment board that grew this site and how most people came to join the site. Now there's days when I come to the activity stream and the only posts are about US politics. As mentioned, there are hundreds and hundreds of other places to get your voice heard if you somehow feel like that is going to change the course of history.

Comment

There's just as much spurious reasoning & terrible rhetoric in the Real Estate & Development forum as anywhere else on the site & the clique-y nature of the sub-community there combined with the near-singular voice that comes out of the echochamber is directly responsible for the vast, vast majority of the decline of C2E in both posters & post quality. The Trump & politics threads wouldn't have had the opportunity to capture most of the momentum on the site the last bit if the "Downtown Uber Alles" contingent hadn't winnowed down the crowd to next-to-nothing over the last decade.
              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
                It's easier for longtime users to just delete the bookmark and let the alt-right anti-intellectuals have their hijacked mudpit to themselves. I can get informed, meaningful dialogue from the entire political spectrum pretty much anywhere, this site is rapidly devolving to the lowest common denominator in some ill-fated attempt at being fair and equitable to its users... those that bother to stay, anyway.
                Basically this, and a lack of new members. It's the same dozen or two people arguing the same things over and over. But, that's nothing unique to this board. I've seen it happen with others in totally different subjects. If a board doesn't hit a certain critical mass of users, it will tend to stagnate after too long.
                X2.
                Get rid of the entire C2E cafe section. Or else this site is dead within a year.
                Really, it was the Real Estate and DEvelopment board that grew this site and how most people came to join the site. Now there's days when I come to the activity stream and the only posts are about US politics. As mentioned, there are hundreds and hundreds of other places to get your voice heard if you somehow feel like that is going to change the course of history.
                Trump is now. Soon it's going to fade as the provincial election looms.

Look at the muni and provincial campaign politics threads. Same stuff. Then the post election follow up threads. Same stuff. Incredible hostility and childish attempts at character assassination, etc. Great fun - zero value.

However, it seems to me that the issue triggering this thread is that everything revolves around the dominance of an issue on the "Activity Stream".

People's various interests and orientations collide with others and then some trigger event causes the discussion/ debate / war of insults to dominate the one-window access path. Those with material/physical world orientation tire of the political-social banter. Those with a social orientation tire of the floor height, glazing colour, building razing discussions. Then there's those with a small is better world orientation clashing with the bigger is better orientation (often seen as environment vs development). Note: Yes, I just pulled this out of my *** - I reserve the right to change my might and say I was totally clued out.)

Activity Streams for each grouping and no consolidated stream might work like a "good neighbour fence".
                Last edited by KC; 26-07-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

What's an Activity Stream?

Comment

^ www.connect2edmonton.ca
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

From what I've seen, membership on most message-boards peaked around ten years ago, with a steady decline since then. Likely this corresponds with the rise of social media.

I still prefer this format, since I find it easier to follow than most comments sections or social-media set-ups. I tried reading one of those threads on reddit earlier today, and it's almost impossible to tell where one subthread ends and another begins. (Interesting discussion, though)
                      I can't get reddit or twitter either. I have trouble discerning the convo in discussion trees and who's comment is who's and whats going on there. I've tried some tutorials and I still don't get those formats or why people would prefer them. Theres some interesting content, sure, just the formats of those are so messy.
                      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Can't agree with this at all. The OP is correct. To come here and see endless discussions on Trump, and Khadr, that has essentially nothing to do with Edmonton (Other than Khadr living here which isn't the disputed issue) is kind of sad.

As mentioned any look at new posts and so much of it is political or political side issues. This has been compounded with recent spurious thread bombing by posters who lose arguments in the one thread and then apparently need to start half a dozen sidebar threads.

Its not about ignoring a few threads. Its that the sum participation on the board has veered to certain odd topics that do not define Edmonton or focus on Edmonton.
                        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post

I still prefer this format, since I find it easier to follow than most comments sections or social-media set-ups. I tried reading one of those threads on reddit earlier today, and it's almost impossible to tell where one subthread ends and another begins. (Interesting discussion, though)
                          I can't get reddit or twitter either. I have trouble discerning the convo in discussion trees and who's comment is who's and whats going on there. I've tried some tutorials and I still don't get those formats or why people would prefer them. Theres some interesting content, sure, just the formats of those are so messy.
                          ""Discussion trees." That's a good term for what I was referring to. Thanks.

I really wonder if most people read those things post-by-post, paying attention to each within its chronological context(eg. the way most of us probably read C2E), or if they just scroll down and read whatever posts catch their eye, without worrying much about what came before or after. Maybe I'm just projecting my own ineptness onto others, but I can't imagine that many people find reading those things in context a smooth ride.

Comment

^Its an interesting comment. My own take is that they just kind of absorb that which is being stated and pay less attention to who is stating it, what the source is, etc. Social media is like the perfect medium to have false news and lightning fast dissemination of false news.

Of course Twitter and the like often break news but theres ample misinformation, misinterpretation and over interpretation. To the degree where people, famous people, political people, get into hot water for just liking the wrong comment.

Anyway on a messageboard people care more to pay attention to who is saying what. I think this gets largely lost on social media. Which to me makes it just a lot of noise. With some true signal in that white noise.

Comment

I seldom come on C2E anymore. Look at the activity feed on the main page, see it is all a bunch of noise about US Politics by the same three people and go somewhere else. I imagine I'm not alone as others have already pointed out.

Comment

I don't see what the issue is.

There are tons of threads that people are interested in. Some are complaining about the Trump thread but the entire world, let alone Edmonton is affected by what happens in the US and in the White House. If you are not interested in a thread or general topic, go to a thread that you like. Some people want to talk sports the whole day, Go ahead, Share your Passion! There are 872 threads on and 51,000 posts that subject alone! Others want to talk Mass Transit, there are 665 threads and 53,314 posts, Go ahead, Share your Passion! Raves have 788 Threads and 10,496 Posts
                                while Rants have 1,224 Threads and 44,914 Posts Go ahead, Share your Passion!

Just on the Fox Towers there are 4,018 Replies and 478,980 Views. Am I specifically interested in that thread, no. Do I mind that it soaks up much of the discussion?, Not in the least. Go ahead, Share your Passion! on Fox Towers.

As far as the OP to this thread, I like Medwards but it is a great amount of hyperbole that it "receives far more posts than any other topic on this site", which is categorically untrue.

Don't want to read about Trump, just don't go there...

Don't blame it on three people, that is demonstrably false.
                                Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 26-07-2017, 11:13 AM.
                                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Working...
                                X