Tone of conversation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone of conversation

Over the past six months to one year I have noticed that the tone of conversation has worsened on C2E.

In particular, there is an active thread with an antagonistic title. Furthermore, many posters become highly defensive when their ideas are criticized. Personal attacks are common when this occurs.

In my view, this phenomenon cheapens the whole site. I want to ask all users to reconsider what they type before they post it.

I also will be more vigilant about my own language. And I will press the report post button more often. Let's all practice some self moderation. And let's be more proactive about reporting conversations that are derailing.
    Last edited by AAAAE; 11-12-2015, 11:22 PM.

What do you consider to be an 'antagonistic' title?.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

The one about renaming c2e. And the needling and incendiary replies it has generated seem to confirm this.
      Last edited by AAAAE; 11-12-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I did not find the title to be antagonistic. When people start a new thread they have to be able to word it in a way that makes people want to read and maybe participate in the thread. That particular title did the trick. No one can predict how a thread is going to go. You also have to realize it's not the mutual admiration society forum. People gonna get mad now and again.

Comment

Okay, I'll concede that the title is not the biggest issue. But the tone (and that thread is not even what prompted this) is an issue. There certainly are some grievances around content, which are being aired in that other thread. But the tone is just as bad if not worse.

Comment

There is some childiish behaviour on the board. For example, a certain poster who follows everyother post of mine with some childish rant, as still bitter after losing the trolley debate many years ago. But we have an ignore feature for that. As to the tone, I think it hasn't changed much in the years I've been posting here, there will be times when different people will be upset at different people. That just indicates they care about something. We all move on in time.

Comment

^this is the kind of thing that breeds the antagonizing responses.

Did you really need to say: "For example, a certain poster who follows everyother post of mine with some childish rant, as still bitter after losing the trolley debate many years ago". No, you didn't. That was completely unnecessary and will prompt a similar response from said person. Then everything will spiral out of control and you end up with the regular string of crap that follows.

If you don't want things to turn childish don't start by tossing lines like that, that are going to draw a response. It's called baiting.

The ignore button works. Use it. I've got like 10 people in the penalty box right now. I check every once in a while to see if they need to stay there. Some get pulled off for good behaviour. Undoubtedly a few have placed me on ignore, I likely deserve it.

Comment

^Well, you have been posting on this forum since Match 2015 and you have 10 people on ignore. Do you not think that is rather childish in itself. I don't think I have ever had that many people on the ignore list since I started posting. I quit doing it as sometimes the conversation got so disjointed it was hard to follow. You cannot steer the conversation by ignoring people just like you cannot steer it by not ignoring them. I would not call it a badge of honor because you have 10 people on ignore. I'd call it a massive fail on your part.

Comment

2 " has C2E jumped the shark" threads in 1 year is in poor taste dude. At least you could have waited until the new year to make this
                  be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

Originally posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post

Did you really need to say: "For example, a certain poster who follows everyother post of mine with some childish rant, as still bitter after losing the trolley debate many years ago". No, you didn't. That was completely unnecessary and will prompt a similar response from said person. Then everything will spiral out of control and you end up with the regular string of crap that follows.

If you don't want things to turn childish don't start by tossing lines like that, that are going to draw a response. It's called baiting.

The ignore button works. Use it. I've got like 10 people in the penalty box right now. I check every once in a while to see if they need to stay there. Some get pulled off for good behaviour. Undoubtedly a few have placed me on ignore, I likely deserve it.
                    I guarantee he knows it's called baiting.

I also guarantee he knows what the ignore list is, because he has claimed multiple times to have put that 'most despised child' on it. Goodness only knows how he even knows someone is poking holes in his tactics and theories, really.

Glad to know he sided with Linda Sloan, a pratfallingly failed mayoral candidate, fired Charlie Stolte and retired-before-fired *** ******* on earlier decisions of the electric transit debate though. Good company.

(Bait taken, oops. But don't worry, can't escalate because he "can't see"™ this.)
                    Last edited by JayBee; 12-12-2015, 12:10 PM.
                    Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

I don't have anyone on 'ignore'. If something offends/grates, then I just swing by - try it folks, it's easy. I don't need no stinkin' ignore button.
                      Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post
                        Originally posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post

I guarantee he knows it's called baiting.

I also guarantee he knows what the ignore list is, because he has claimed multiple times to have put that 'most despised child' on it. Goodness only knows how he even knows someone is poking holes in his tactics and theories, really.

Glad to know he sided with Linda Sloan, a pratfallingly failed mayoral candidate, fired Charlie Stolte and retired-before-fired *** ******* on earlier decisions of the electric transit debate though. Good company.

(Bait taken, oops. But don't worry, can't escalate because he "can't see"™ this.)
                        This is another example of tone problems.

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post
                          2 " has C2E jumped the shark" threads in 1 year is in poor taste dude. At least you could have waited until the new year to make this
                          Yes, I know... another thread... but there's no need for this to become a huge long discussion. I just want people to be a little cooler, calmer. Maybe it is the economy which has everyone on edge.

And, I think if we read the forum rules a lot of what is being posted today is over the line.

Comment

I find there is less moderation than in the past. I am hoping that can improve.

I've also never liked the fact that C2E is anonymous. I know that was not the original intention either. It allows people to get away with trolling.
                            www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                              ^Well, you have been posting on this forum since Match 2015 and you have 10 people on ignore. Do you not think that is rather childish in itself. I don't think I have ever had that many people on the ignore list since I started posting. I quit doing it as sometimes the conversation got so disjointed it was hard to follow. You cannot steer the conversation by ignoring people just like you cannot steer it by not ignoring them. I would not call it a badge of honor because you have 10 people on ignore. I'd call it a massive fail on your part.
                              I don't carry it as a badge of honour, that is you reading into it. I feel nothing positive or negative towards it. I also didn't say it was permanent. Some people get into bad moods. And reading their posts stinks everything up and is just unpleasant. This is a quick way to clear the cruft out. You can think that is childish all you want, but I would beg to differ.

To each, their own. I would rather not be spend my time reading or trying to avoid reading a bunch of super negative ignorant, half assed, ill-informed, ********. I come here to learn about the city and the goings not, not the half-baked nonsense that sometimes is spewed. Also, not saying this is all posters or even most, or that there is a lot of ***** ideas. I am saying it happens enough that I chose an approach that I find convenient, efficient and effective. And I have admitted I can contribute to some of the crap, most of us have. I also don't ignore everyone forever. Just when they are being particularly offensive. One off or rare events are meaningless. It's when it becomes a consistent thing and just weighs down the thread and makes it unpleasant to read will I put someone on the ignore list.

I included the number of people because it was an example of my way of doing it. It's not the right way or the only way, it is however something that works for me and makes my experiences that much nicer. And I hope no ones jumps on the "you can't avoid conflict, or stupid people, etc. in real life". I understand all too well that you can't always avoid conflict or losers or idiots or people you dislike or disagree with. But this isn't physical face to face interaction, it's virtual, and by that very nature allows me a level of control over my experience that the "real world" doesn't provide.

My 2 cents, and your mileage may vary greatly. What works for me won't work for everyone, nor will everyone think it's a good idea. Do what works for you.

I should add, even though I have been posting here since March, I have been lurking for many years before hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X